Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
PugMom

Solid Gold

Hey Everyone, I am considering feeding my pugs solid gold. I was just wondering if anyone had any comments about it being bad or good or if there is any other type of dry dog food that is well balanced and reputable. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my own dog Solid Gold (Hund-n-flocken) kibble, and add a scoop or 2 of Merrick brand wet food into that. I find SG to be a good quality food, that fits my budget, and agrees with my dog (easy on his system).

There are other brands that are just as good, and some that are even better. Personally, I choose based on affordability, availability, and how my dog does on it. SG happens to meet my criteria.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM

My boy is on Solid Gold 'Just a wee bit' and loves it. It's been very good for him - he likes the taste, it's smaller bites for his little mouth, and his coat looks great. I like the ingredients and they really seem to agree with him.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:56 PM

It's one of the better brands, but within it, some foods are better than others...

Barking at the moon is their most expensive- it's grain free... I use that one on Jemma and she's doing well on it (lab-husky). I like the Just a wee bit too, but it's a little grainy. Hundnflocken is the grainiest (IMO), but it's still ok.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM

Hi Pugsmom87

I have just changed over to Solid Gold Hund N Flocken. The reason I chose this was because the breeder of my new English Springer pup has believed in the product for years. Her business with Springers has been in existence for over 30 years. I had been feeding my schnauzer IAMs.

She reported excellence in health and shiny healthy coats, and as well for treating dogs with horrible skin allergies. I have a Standard Schnauzer. I was trying to decide what type I should buy because as you have heard- there are both grain and grainless SG products. I was interested in the SG Barking at the Moon-high protein, grainless. I feel she provided some common sense which really helped me. My dog is not a high energy working dog-like a border or Husky. These dogs burn alot of energy some are working for 6 hrs day. She indicated that for the average dog- they are not able to burn the calories in these food and some definitely gain weight. There is so much out their- re information and everyone has their opinion.

I made the choice to take the middle road with Solid Gold products. I will probably supplement this with some real protein and veggies for treats. Cagney really likes her new food and has tolerated it well.

Good Luck
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
She indicated that for the average dog- they are not able to burn the calories in these food and some definitely gain weight.
My dogs are pretty average, and I feed them half high protein and half lower protein foods, but it's all about calories eaten vs calories worked off. A dog won't gain weight if it is given the right amount of digestible calories for it's activity level/size/metabolism regardless of the food you choose.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM

Hey Prin-

Absolutely- calories in verses calories burned!!! I guess I was just making the point that you need to look at this factor to help you make your decision.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Since they changed their formulas & added Tomato Pomace, we switched to Timberwolf Organics. I was really upset about Solid Gold adding that ingredient to their formulas; however, the further along I get in my canine nutrition program, the less opposed I am to that ingredient. Sure, it is a form of fiber, which acts to firm the stool, but that can have some benefits to it.

I don't want to have to change from Timberwolf Organics, but if I absolutely had to switch back to Solid Gold for some reason, I would be slightly disappointed, but I certainly wouldn't be kicking & screaming. Despite the change, they still are a good product.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah, I still disagree with the stool hardeners, but until Orijen fish comes out, I'm stuck for Jemma...