Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Sudden Aggression to another dog - NEED HELP!

Hello there,

my parents have a dog...mixed breed (def. has some pointer in her), medium size, almost 3 years old, lively and always happy, nicest dog you could ever ask for! Well, over the holday we had a couple incidents that occured....each involving this dog and another one my family owns.

She has a older brother...smaller dog, mixed breed, 10 years old, has def. livened up since we bought the younger dog 2 years ago, also a very nice dog (although we bought him and he was abused but has totally done a 360 and is a great dog.)

Well...over the holiday break the younger dog and the other dog were playing (like they have done for over 2 years now!) And all the sudden this "playing" turned into a vicious fight. She got ahold of the olders dogs neck (she is bigger than him) and WOULD NOT let go. Growling ensued and the older dog retaliated and ended up accidently biting my Dad's hand. We finally got them seperated and they were both shaking and scared. This has never happened before...completely shocked by this! They have known eachother for over 2 years and is great with dogs. My sister has a bulldog and pug that always come over and they all play....no problems.

We seperated them...she went outside for a little....both had NO marks on them (except my Dad who got a small bite from the older one) and eventually everything was back to normal.

Well, 2 days later this happened again....I came home early one day and they were both happy to see me. While my Dad was beginning to feed them....the fighting happened again! This time it seemed alot worse....The older one (again!) had her mouth on the older dogs neck. WOULD NOT let go....we finally seperated them and the older one was very shook up and the young one was sent outside. She knew she did wrong b\c her head was down hours after the incident and just layed on her back when I came close.

We do have outside company visiting for a week or so, and our place was very crowded for the holidays (with everyone home). I am just SO confused b\c this dog is such a baby (both are) and have NEVER caused a problem ever. This has just started happening, and although there are no marks on the dogs....this is devastating to watch!

What is happening? She did go to a trainer when we first got her 2 years ago(but never went back for more)...she also doesn't seem to go on alot of walks...ever since my parents got a fence. So, I know she should ger more exercise.....But why would this suddenly be haoppening? I have some theories but would love some advice!!!

Thanks!!