Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Tad is Bad!!!

Hi

My name is Jason. My wife and I have had the wonderful Jack Russell, Tad, in our lives for almost 8 years. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when we fell in love with him. He is super smart, mean at times (moody) and has been peeing in the house (marking) for the better part of a year. We introduced Grace (a mix breed) into the our lives over 4 years ago, before we even moved into our current home. Both are fixed and both are crated when we leave, not at night though. Tad has been checked by the vet and all his plumbing is good. They get walked every morning. We have a large screened in patio (florida residents). The dogs have a dog door leading onto the patio and another leading out of the patio into a fenced dog run. When we are home, they can come and go onto the patio and dog run as they please. I think they have it pretty good. We play ball with Tad regularly (not enough if you asked him I am sure) and he even swims after in the pool (his cool down lap.)I am a firefighter, so I am around the house more than an average person would be. Grace has no problems peeing in the house. We have started using the collars with the orbs to keep him out of areas that are harder to clean all the pee up. He used to sleep with us and lay on the couch with us. I am sure he is not very happy being relegated to his blanket or crate. He regularly pees on doors, cabinets (ruining the hinges) fridge, chair, Grace's bed and even his own bed. I know this sounds much like marking, so how can I help him. We have discussed bringing in an obediance trainer in to the home, but are unsure.

We are getting ready to have our first child and I have a feeling he will only get worse. We have waited too long. Please help. We love Tad very much.

Jason and Rachel
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Geek Club CEO

Have you ruled out a medical condition? Dogs who urinate inappropriately are often suffering from UTIs....
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM

yup, I included that in my post. Vet said he is A OK. We get told "he is just a Jack Russell" alot.
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Nobody out there with any other suggestions?
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Gee, too bad more people are not responding. I'll give you a bump. I have not had this problem but I have an idea. Is it possible his urinating in the house co-incides with your pregnancy? Could you unknowingly be paying him less attention than before, or he knows something is up and is disturbed about it? I do believe that could cause him to react. Sorry, I don't know what you should do about it. More attention maybe, but you will have even less time for him when baby comes. People?

What is a collar with an orb?
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm a softy

it is too bad that you hear " he is just a jack russell" a lot, I have had 2 of them in the past and I found them to be amazing dogs, I have never had any problems... In the right home there should not be any more complaints than any other breed, they need the right people... Anyway, it is too bad that you have this frusterating probelm.. What age was he when he was neutered? He may have picked up this before neutering. I would have tonnes of praise and a party when he pees outside, and I mean pee, not lifting a leg for a squirt. You should discourage him lifting his leg on every tree, he has learned to have a million little pees instead of one or two large ones, he needs to re learn. When you catch him doing it, scold him then take him out. Also I would also for the time being not allow him loose at night, or unsupervised at all. This will just let him have the opportunity to pee inside without being caught, therefore re enforcing it... I hope that you have good luck, persistance will pay off!!!! You must put up a picture of the doggies!
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by postguy619 View Post
He is super smart, mean at times (moody) and has been peeing in the house (marking) for the better part of a year.
wow. yes, it's been going on TOO LONG. I'd venture to say it's "habit" at this point.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd keep the dog tethered to me at all times around the house. If he goes to lift his leg, he should be corrected. of course, follow up by taking him to a suitable place (outside) and praise him heavily for going OUTSIDE. You could even put in a new pee post for him, a place that he's encouraged to mark in the yard. try to make earning rewards for correct behavior a focus. I would use high value rewards (like beef pieces) and use a clicker-based training. The hand held clickers MARK correct behavior. likewise you can designate a word that signals WRONG behavior. (instead of mindlessly yelling NO! all the time)

Other than STRICT supervision and training, I'd consider a belly band. I have NO experience with a belly band though, so I can't testify if they actually help or not.

JRT's are smart dogs. you can ask ALOT of a jack. I would try to keep this dog's mind busy as well as physical activity. you can enroll in obedience classes, and even start agility once he has the basics.