Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Unhappy They are 'playing' so rough!!!

So I dont know if they are really just playing really hard or if theres some fighting going on here....Roland and Willis get into it pretty hard. Willis starts squealing even before Roland is on him and really, its not always Roland who starts it. Willis does look for trouble a lot. . Should I be worried and seperate them (I do let Roland out onto the balcony when it gets too heated and he goes willingly!) or do I just let them duke it out? The thing is they do look for each other when they are not around each other for while. There has been no blood drawn and no scratches that I can see, I just dont like how they go at each other so hard!!
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

LoL! Welcome to owning a kitten!

As long as neither is getting really hurt, I would just let them play...most cats will know when enough is enough.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

lol. well I guess I will just have to be strong and let them at it. I guess the little guy can hide under the bed if he really needs to get away but poor Roland has nowhere to hide!
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

With my 3 girls I'll hear hissing when one of them tries to play with Mookie, but that's it. Squeakie and Gabby scrap all the time, not serious, just playing.
My previous 2 cats (Toby and little Max), used to get into it once in a while. Always in the middle of the night and always in the basement. I would hear that aweful sound of a catfight and have to go tearing downstairs to break it up. Didn't happen often, but it sure woke you up with a start.

Cindy
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor

awww

I think everyone who gets a second cat at some point deals with this problem "I think theyre playing too rough!". Been there, done that!

What Ive learned:
  • If its a real catfight you'll know. Hissing. Blood. Wailing.
  • Mostly the one who screams is the one who started it lol
  • Sometimes it is indeed play gone too far but as long as its not too bad you should really let them work it out themselves
  • I have found when you just let them have it (as long as theyre not hurting themselves) it tends to resolve the situation. They smack eachother around and that is that. May be one cat establishing dominance.
  • If you are able to get between them when they are 'fighting' they arent really fighting. If it was a real catfight you'd probably lose an arm lol
  • Safer ways to break it up = spray bottle (oh how much I used that in the early days), loud noises next to them (clapping etc). If your cat is skittish I wouldnt do the loud noises.
  • Sometimes if theyre both rough housing I bring out the treats. They get them side by side by the time theyre done eating the yummies they forget what they had been doing and all is peaceful again
  • Be sure there are places the cat which tends to scream bloody murder (usually the little one who starts it ) can sorta escape. Little cubby holes or under a chair or something.
  • Be careful of giving your new cat too much attention ( or more attention than ure old one). This is especially a problem when new kitty is so cute, tiny and cuddly and soft and and lol. I found Onnie would give Bunduk the smack down if I did. Builds resentment I guess. Even though Onnie doesnt like being cuddled
  • Lastly in some cases you just gotta remove one of the kities from the situation. I sometimes pick up Onnie/Bunduk and put them on the cat tree away from the other one. There are just some days they are like litte kids. They roughhosue I break it up. 2 seconds later theyre at it again that is when its time to remove a kitty. As much As you should let them work it out themselves (hard I know) there are days when you really dont wanna hear kitty screaming..hence breaking it up.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster that was a lot of good info there.

Sometimes I see Vlad and Maks playing a bit rough too. I equate that to them being boys, since the girls don't seem to play as rough. Sometimes when Vlad and Maks are playfighting, I'll hear one of them squeal, which will make me keep a closer eye on them. If I see that it looks to be getting too rough I'll just clap my hands and tell them to play nice. They usually break it up, go on again for a little bit then go about their own business.

Now, when they start in on Oksana and she's hissing, screeching and growling, I get them away from her, since I know she's not playing and more apt to put a hurting on one of them.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/