Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 27th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Tea Cup Yorkie

I'M A NEW MOM TO A 2 MONTH OLD TEA CUP YORKIE AND HAVE BEEN GIVEN NO HELP AS TO HOW MUCH FOOD TO FEED HIM
CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Where did you get him???
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no such thing as a "teacup Yorkie". These are just undersized and badly bred dogs, and that term is just a gimmick to get high prices for them.

The "breeder" didn't tell you how to care for this baby?

Very tiny puppies are apt to get hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) if they do not eat often enough. They can only eat tiny amounts at once, so must eat very often. You should feed this puppy at least 4 times a day, and not let him go too long between feedings.

If he becomes very sleepy, lethargic and doesn't wake up easily, you'll know you aren't feeding him often enough and will need to consult your vet AT ONCE, as this condition can be quickly fatal!

Also try giving a little Nutrical to this puppy, to make sure he is getting enough nourishment.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board! If you've got a lot to learn, this is a great place. Please don't be offended if we're sometimes extremely frank. Our main concern is the welfare of your little guy. We clobber each other and tell it like it is, but we're also a great support team during a crisis. You'll learn a lot. Most important thing - establish a good relationship with your vet. When in any doubt, see your vet. No one can diagnose over the internet. If you're unsure if it's an emergency, call your vet. Let him tell you if you should go in or not. You can't go wrong! Have you called where you got your puppy to ask about his feedings? What was their response? I'd love to see a picture!
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Tea Cup Yorkie

We purchased him from a breeder here in Canada .After the death of our previous puppy(a yorkie x)we knew we wanted another small yorkie and were able to find him through a friend.His mother is 4 lbs and his papa is 3.5lbs.
We saw that both are happy and healthy and decided we would take a chance on a pure bred.We are aware that there are according to some no such dogs as tea cup Yorkies most vets,books and breeders will classify the smaller Yorkies 4lbs and under as such.We were told how much to feed him by the breeder and have since been following our and his needs for feeding.It usually amounts to aprox.1 cup dry food a day given over 4 meals,(this does vary as he is such an active little guy.)
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

You might be interested in what the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America has to say about these extra tiny dogs, and about Yorkies in general. They also give a list of things to watch out for and to be aware of.

Note that they say that bitches under 5 lbs should not be bred.

YTCA

Do you have a pic of your little guy??

One of the rescues here had one of these tiny puppies, taken from a family who were letting their kids use him for a toy. He was incredibly cute. This is "Chicklet".
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute name! What is your puppy's name, New Mom? Any pictures?

Friend of mine told me you should never have 2 yorkies alone together! Said they are very territorial and the larger will actually kill the smaller. I don't know if I should believe this. Never heard of that before.

Poodles are another breed that they're breeding down in size and calling teacup. They are fragile and you really need to be careful with them. Good point about kids! My mom's poodle (small, but not a teacup) broke his front leg when he was apprx 9mos old. He got excited and leaped off her lap and landed wrong on the kitchen floor. Their little bones are very tiny. Be careful with your baby! Thank goodness Corky doesn't even limp now. Good vet! But it was a really hairy time!
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:59 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
You might be interested in what the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America has to say about these extra tiny dogs, and about Yorkies in general. They also give a list of things to watch out for and to be aware of.

Note that they say that bitches under 5 lbs should not be bred.

YTCA

Do you have a pic of your little guy??

One of the rescues here had one of these tiny puppies, taken from a family who were letting their kids use him for a toy. He was incredibly cute. This is "Chicklet".

OMG, Lucky what a sweet little thing that is. I could carry that little Chicklet with me everywhere.
Old October 31st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom has a "tea cup" chihuahua. As he gets older, he is within the breed standard.

My mom went to a restaraunt supply store and bought a case of honey packets. Since she takes little Mikey everywhere with her, you can find honey packets in his little carry-all, in her car and in just about every room in her house. This is in case of a "low sugar emergency".