Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

Question How much water should a cat drink?

Because Sunny is my first cat, I'm sure I'll have questions from time to time. How much water should he be drinking? He eats 1/3 of a can of wet food each day, plus about 1/2 cup of his dry (his dry is always there, 24/7 he muches on it during the day but he never finishes it). And of course, he gets his cat treats (sometimes because he's such a good boy and sometimes just because he's so gosh-darn cute :love: ) He's has a beautiful shiny and soft coat. He a playful, happy (and bossy) cat.

But I often wonder if he drinks enough water. His water dish is bigger than his food dishes (but not by much, maybe an inch or so wider than his food dishes.) I know that some cats will not drink from small dishes (it bugs their whiskers). I fill Sunny's water dish to the brim. We see him drinking from it, so we know he drinks water. During the course of a day, it may go down about 1/2 an inch (it's about a 5" bowl). Is this enough? I re-fill it twice, morning and evening - and usually the second fill (the evening one) barely gets touched.

Just wondering....
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:51 AM
~Cat Servent~

I'm not sure if there is a set amount they need to drink every day, mine have always drank plenty, as I have water in two seperate rooms for them. I also know that cats like dogs prefer toilet water because it is always cold and fresh, so if you are leaving a toilet seat up, this could be why you don't see much water being drank out of the bowl at night, maybe while you are asleep he is visiting the big marguerita bowl! I know all four of mine do if we are not careful to put the lid down every time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

My cats drink differently,my Rocky will sit by the water-dish until I change it,which I do several times a day..they do not like stale water..
Chico drinks out of the kitchen-tap,if he can get my attention to open it
Sunnysmom,it sounds to me like you are doing all the right things and your cat is healthy and beautiful,so don't worry,you are doing great
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

It's not unusual not to see your cat drink. One cat I've had for 15 months and I have never seen her drink!

My cats prefer to drink out of my dog's very large waterbowl and they like their water cold, fresh and filtered.

I'm glad you're giving your cat canned food. Cats often don't drink enough, and when neutered males don't, and if they eat only dry food, they can get crystals or stones in the bladder.

Your kitty sounds like he's doing great!
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm used to dogs - when I was growing up we had a schnauzer who would lap up almost all the water in her dish and if she wanted it refilled, she'd bang it with her paw (it was metal and made a "clang" sound -- bringing one of my many siblings running to fill it -- who says animals don't think? )
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I find it easier just to check the litter box,(if it went in....it'll come out ) for good hydration.