Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM

Unhappy still grieving

I lost my precious dog Diva 1yr and 6 months ago and still can't get over her death. She was a grey lhasapoo but basically looked like a stuffed animal with fur. Hated the park and other dogs. Only liked people and walking the streets with her Mom. I got her when I was 21 and had her for 17 years. She had been through everything with me. Moving, boyfriends etc. People who didn't care for dogs eventually fell in love with her after about 1/2 and hr or so. She died in her sleep of old age. I, unfortunately had to wake up to find her lifeless. Need I say more.....I haven't been the same since!!!! I now have 2 dogs which I love very much but the pain never goes away.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

don't try to replace her, she will always be your number 1..so continue to remember the good times and its fine to compare your other two dogs to her just try and keep it in perspective..if you are really having a hard time with it get some grief counselling..it will help..no not silly over a dog..this was a 17 year companion who never told ANY of your secrets, never judged you and never told you something you didn't want to hear...she was part of who you were and whod you became she had a wonderful long life, cherish those memories they are worth it..........
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM

Red face

thanks pug lover.... i haven't replaced her with my 2 new dogs. they are so completely different from her. i've had a dog my whole life. diva was just my dog and companion. it's so hard for people to understand what i'm going through....thanks for understanding
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Crusader

Well said Pug lover.. truely words of wisdom.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:00 PM
Chocolate

I know Chocolate's just turning four (december 21 ) but I'm already worrying about that one day...

I'll definitely be heading in to see a therapist/councellor... and some unemployment insurance, I'm sure I wont be able to go to work!!!

I wish you all the best with your counselling!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:28 PM

i have to tell you that each year my babies turn a year older, this is someting that is hard to imagine. i ost sebastian for a week once (he snuck out the door once while he was being watched) and i was devastated. i couldn't sleep, eat, or work. it was horrible.

reading your post brought a tear to my eye and i sympathize with your loss...
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:31 AM

my family and I still get teary-eyed when we talk about our Lucy. Other people have trouble understanding why we still miss a dog who died 10 years ago... Of course it isn't as terrible as losing a human family member, but it is absolutely awful. Don't expect everyone to understand -- they will think "just a pet? what's the big deal", although we here on this forum certainly do understand. You came to the right place to share your grief!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:20 PM

Thumbs up thanks again

i thank everybody for the kind words. alot of people don't understand how i feel about my loss. infact i even stopped talking to some family members for several months because they were so mean and heartless while i was in my worst state. i haven't been at work since last november due to my depression etc. it's not just my loss of my precious diva it also has to do with some other issues which i need to to deal with. i found this site by accident.
i should tell u about my wonderful new pets. i have Roxy (17 months) who's a black & white lhasa/****zu/poodle mix. she's a little crazy terror who's got napolean syndrome. very smart and gives me a special bark when someone is coming. fonzie is my american blue nose pitbull. he is a total mama's boy. he's got the best demeanor and weighs a wopping 75 lbs at only 7 months. he and roxy get along wonderfully.
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I can only imagine what it must be like to lose a child. I've never had any. But, my pets are my kids, so for me, it's like losing a child. I still have difficulty holding back the tears when telling about the ones I've lost over the years. You're not alone - we know what it's like!
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Maddiva,we would love to see some pics of your dogs and even your little Diva.
We never get over losing someone we love and if you had other troubles and a not very understanding family,I can understand your depression,hopefully everything will work out for you.
This Forum is a wonderful place for advice and many times just very sympathetic ears,we understand,most of us have gone through the same
So,welcome to the Pet.ca family