Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

How do I approach this safely?

I have a question, (eventually!). I have been following a lot of discussions on pet store animals for sale and I see that the general feeling is that this is a no-no. I must say that I do know of one particular pet store in my area, (privately owned), where I do conduct business, that does sell terrific healthy animals, usually one only at any given time. The owner, however, will only offer animals from one of our local legitimate animal rescue organizations, and the animals are ALL in excellent physical and mental shape, fully vacinated and "fixed", as per the guidelines of the rescue organization involved. The owner also hosts monthly "adopt-a-pet" morning, and the rescue group will bring in a handful of dogs/cats that are currently in foster care.
I think that this type of pet store salesmanship is the exception to the rule, as I actually adopted a dog, (donation fee/neuter fee/vacc. fee only), from this rescue organization on the side, (not in the pet store), and went to the foster home, (very tidy and welcoming, with 3 happy and comfortable fosters on site), received the proper paperwork for vaccines etc. and took the dog for the required neutering myself. Yes, I paid for the neutering and "gave" the organization the neutering fee as well....hey, they deserve all the moola they can get to help these animals, right?. It was a wonderful experience and the rescue organization rates a 10+ in my books.

That said, my question, (finally!) is about a recurrent add in our local papers, which makes me wonder about where this assortment of mixed breeds are coming from, and, what I can/should do about it.

The ad runs: "A-1 Puppies. Schnoodles, Shi-Poos, Shih-Pugs, domestic & exotic kittens. Call ***-****".

The phone # is affiliated with a local pet store that I know nothing about.

This sounds like a real mishmash of kooky breeding to make money. It sounds like accidental breeding and anything goes. A schnoodle? Oh please.

I am concerned about the conditions of the origin of these dogs and cats. What would you do? How do I investigate? Should I call someone to investigate?

I thank you for your imput.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a puppy mill, churning out cute mixes to make big bucks. It could be in someone's home, since small dogs dont' take up much room. I know of someone who ran a Pom mill in her home, with dogs in cages stacked to the ceiling.

You can try and find the address of this place and call the Humane society to investigate, if you live in an area where mills are not legal.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:21 PM

how do I approach this

thank you. What grounds would I need to ask the Humane Society to investigate? Just a suspicion and make a call, or do I need actual physical proof? I think if I ask the store about the source of the dogs, I will likely not be given this information. I get the feeling that I would have to falsely pose as a potential buyer and they will suggest that a dog be brought into the store that may interest me, and I will never find out where they originate. I just might do this and see where it takes me!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

not all of us think its all horrid. i personally think there is possibly a number of very ethical, kind and well run pet stores that do sell animals around the place, not all ppl are bad. as far as i am concerned there will never be an end to this industry, supply = demand and there is always going to be a demand out there for store brought animals, i feel that is just reality.

for me, i believe if the practice is going to continue we need to bring up the ethical standards fo animal treatment worldwide an the practices of these industries needs to be extrememly altered, forced or not we need to begin changes, if we cant stop the demand we can at least force adequate and ethical control of the industry.

such changes include the care and housing of animals, many stores do not have adequate space and care given for each animal, for instance birds are often kept in cages that are quite small (2 wing span) and not the requried size for a healthy bird (should be at least 10wing span wide per bird), why not force a standard for bird cage sizes? i thnik this is the approach that should be taken to improving the industry.

anywho just my bit of food for thought, and if you think that add sounds suss, then follow your nose
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM

how do I approach this

Thank you Melanie. All of what you have said makes perfect sense and I agree wholeheartedly. I am working on a plan of action to investigate this pet store. It will take me a bit of time, but I will take some action to find out what's going on.