Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Stinky smelling litter box

I just adopted a male un neutered cat.Since I have had him I am noticing a urine smell that is strong but it is only in the litter box. I cleaned the box before bed last night and woke up this morning to a very strong urine smell. I have no idea if this is because he is not fixed and the urine is stronger

I can't keep emptying the box everyday and replacing with clean litter. Has anyone had this before and help me with this. He is going for his neuter next month.

I have seen him use the box and then get a very strong whiff of urine. So I am fairly sure it is from him. He doesn't whine in the box or show any pain from urinating. So really I am just confused why his urine is so stinky.
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey There!!

I was thinking about you just yesterday!!! How are you??

Yup, when you get your kitty neutered, I believe that smell will dissipate somewhat, baking soda mixed in with the litter is great, and non toxic.

If you are worried, maybe just rule out a UTI at the vets...

glad to hear from you!! Missed ya!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Nutty,I am not 100% sure,but I believe an unaltered cats pee smells stronger.Is there no way you can have him neutered sooner,also because of the matting,it probably needs to be done right away..he's probably suffering.
My cats were all neutered at a young age,but this cat is mature,right?
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:22 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh yes it is definitely because he is not neutered!! They stray -George- that I just took in a few weeks ago had super super strong odour!! It could make your eyes water!! I had to scoop it out and out the bag outside right away! If I tied the bag and left it in the house, you could still smell it! I got him neutered and it still took about 3-4 days for the smell to subside. His urine no longer smells..............now if I could only do something about his poop!
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I had no idea I was missed. I am good,I went back on my meds for depression so everything is looking up

I was going to pick up some powder stuff for the kitty box. I have the one box which he prefers near my entrance way and wowee when I got in from taking my daughter to school it was very strong. So I moved it under my air freshener for now until the hubby gets home. I want to get him neutered now but it may have to wait until the end of this month. I will try to convince the hybby to get it done sooner though. He tries to meet my cat nutmeg but she ain't having it. I will post a pic of my nutmeg.

Well it took me half an hour to figure the pic thing out. Here is nutmeg with my siamese kitten cinnamon.
Attached Images

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

awww

What cuties!! Is he a very busy kitten??? Once I came home t find Frankie at the top of the patio door screen!!! LOL

Glad you're feeling better!! Thanks for the pics!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Cinnamon is a she and she is a very busy little kitty. She was the runt and she is almost 4 months old. I can fit her whole body in one hand! Nutmeg has taken to her like it is her baby. They are a perfect match. Thanks for the comment on them.I love them so much and hence my user name-nutty nutmeg.
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

This musky strong odour is how male cats mark their territory and nothing will make it go away until he is neutered.

I really suggest you get it done now. You're very lucky he's not marking your furniture and walls, but he may once he really settles in.

This powerful odour of an intact tom cat also makes spayed/neutered cats very uneasy, so the sooner he's done the better and he can have him shaved at the same time. Taking him to a groomer and having them spend hours pulling his hair is not a very good option, if he's as badly matted as you say.

Nothing will mask this smell, believe me!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I understand. I am trying to get him in sooner as we need the money to do so. Hubby doesn't get paid till next week. As far as I know he didn't mark at his other house and he has shown no tendacies toward it either. It's strange though because he wasn't around other cats and here he only wantd to sniff that's all. He doesn't growl,hiss,scratch or anything.

Believe me I don't want him marking in here at all. So neutering is a DEFFINATE yes. No doubts about it.
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynutmeg
It's strange though because he wasn't around other cats and here he only wantd to sniff that's all. He doesn't growl,hiss,scratch or anything.
George, my stray, didn't react to any of my cats(3 other) or the dogs!! My cats would hiss and growl at him and take swats at him and he would just look at them and then walk away! I was telling my vet this and she said Tom cats are usually very laid back like this! I thought I was pretty lucky to have found a cat like him, but I guess it's normal for Toms! Most cats I've had have been females and boy do they like to scrap it out!
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW Nutty..Nutmeg is gorgeous...the little runt Cinnamon is too
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I read that the reason a Tom does not react to other ultered cats, is because he recognizes they are not a threat and not really a cat in his opinion (only un-altered cats would get a response, and would be considered a cat by a tom) don't know how true that is.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I read that the reason a Tom does not react to other ultered cats, is because he recognizes they are not a threat and not really a cat in his opinion (only un-altered cats would get a response, and would be considered a cat by a tom) don't know how true that is
Yes, that is generally true, and mature intact toms don't as a rule ever fight with females ( and won't even defend themselves if attacked by a female) or very young cats, although some may harm or kill tiny kittens.

A young and inexperienced tom puffed up on hormones may fight with a neutered male though.
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:12 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

It's funny, I've had cats all of my life and i still learn something knew everyday here!!

I always had the impression tom cats went around the neighbourhood beating up every cat in it's path!! Now I know this isn't true!!
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Well since I can't take George's special cologne,he is getting neutered on Tuesday. My apartment reeks so bad

I love him,but not the stink! I know he dribbles because when he sees my other cats he chases them to play,and they won't have it. And I have seen the dribbles of urine or whatever it is. But anyhow,I have spent a good hour cleaning the floors in my apartment to rid the smell. It is much fainter and I think I know where it happened. I have smelled my furniture and walls even my diningroom chairs and I can't find it!

So I am guessing that it was the dribbles
Gotta love him though
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I know he dribbles
He may have a urinary problem. Mention this to the vet.

Quote:
I always had the impression tom cats went around the neighbourhood beating up every cat in it's path!!
Some will (I had one who would, and even beat up dogs) but in an established neighbourhood of indoor-outdoor intact toms, there is generally a seniority system, and the oldest cats will not be challenged. This is why you cannot move an old, intact tom to a new neighbourhood and let him out. The other cats would kill him.
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

George? I would have expected a Herbie or Pepper
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Some cats just look like a GEORGE I named a stray that I fed twice a day, for three years,George,he just looked like it
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Chico,I agree. He was previously named dusty,and when I looked at him I thought George. Then my hubby said we should name him George,I told him I was thinking the same thing and so George it is.