Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Exclamation 1.5 Year Old With Chronic Skin Rash Since Being A Puppy

Hello,

We have a 1.5 year old male Eurasier named Loki who has had chronic skin issues for his entire life. We got him from a breeder in the states when he was three months old and he was flown to here to BC over night. When we got him he was on a high protein kibble diet and he was very itchy and had skin sores on much of his body but his fur was still ok. We switched him to a low protein diet which is suggested for the breed but after about two months without noticing a difference we took him to the vet who suspected flees. He was given antibiotics, a cortisone shot, a pill designed to kill essentially any flea or parasite and put on a standard flea pill after that.

After about a month the skin issues gradually began to return. We tried several other diets (including hypoallergenic diets) but nothing was working. We returned to the vet who decided to administer the same two shots as before. Once again, a month goes by and then the skin problems return. We now started trying raw diets but after several months return to the vets a third time, who once again decides on those same two shots.

As you can probably guess, the problem returned. Some people suggested that it was because of the hot weather in the summer and to thoroughly brush him, but that didn't help. Others suggested holistic medicine, so we tried that. We were given an antifungal, antibacterial shampoo and spray but it appears to severely dry his skin, causing further itching. We were also given a homeopathic allergy medicine and homeopathic immune booster but were told that because of the steroid shots it would take at least 3 months for results. Well about 1.5 months have passed and we are continuing to use the homeopathic medicine, but things just continue to get worse.

To detail what his problems are:
1) Red sores on his stomach and armpits, can get a yellow puss or wound like in the center. These heal, leaving a visible circle where they were before completely disappearing.
2) Red itchy bumps that form a yellow or grey flaky "scab" (not blood so not actual scab) over top, which then flakes off revealing the red bump. These are primarily on his mid/upper back and base of tale. These also cause him to lose all the fur on and immediately around the site of the sore and leave the skin black afterwards. (Pictured below, after the scab has flaked away)
3) His sides and the back of his hind legs below the tail also get similar red bumps, but they have been steadily advancing up his sides with the skin drying and peeling / flaking away. This also causes him to lose all the fur in the affected area and also eaves the skin black afterwards, and the outer edge is often pink. (A picture of his side, and his hind leg below).
4) Occasionally his nose will also start losing fur but is quickly treated with antibacterial / antifungal cream or gel.
He also has a strange odor that seems strongest at the sites of the red flaky bumps.

Everyone we have talked to has no idea what it is, including the vet. The antibiotics and steroid shot help momentarily, but only to have it come back worse than before. We currently have a cone on him so that he doesn't scratch as much and are at our wits end trying to solve this problem. He is the sweetest dog and it is one of the most painful things to see him constantly scratching and in discomfort while he continually loses his fur.

His skin looks oily / shiny in a couple of the photos because we have put a salve on his skin to help soothe it. A couple days ago we started giving him benedryl to try and give him some relief. Yesterday we spoke to a breeder who suggested to have his thyroid tested because it is become a recurring problem with the breed. One issue it can cause is sweating, which she suggested as a source of the smell and potentially a cause for the skin problems.

If you have any ideas as to what this could be or have had the same / similar experience, we would really appreciate any help and suggestions that you are able to offer us.

Thank You,
Jordan and the rest of Loki's family.

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdan88/002.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdan88/004.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdan88/005.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdan88/006.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdan88/007.jpg
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'm a softy

what tests have been done by the vet? Has he done a skin scraping? wow it could be so many things, but many of the treatments you have done should have worked, mites, ringworm, dermatitis, ect. However the thing that caught my intrest is that you say you switched to a low protein diet, that cannot be a good thing... Many dogs, including mine, have allergies to the low quality carbs in many dog foods, wheat, corn, brewers rice, ect.. are all bad things and highly allergenic. Have you tried a high end grain free food? I like Orijen red meat, or innova evo red meat, What is the food that you are feeding? It cannot hurt to try a switch to a grain free, or even raw diet, maybe with some oil suppliments? Good luck keep us posted!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Doggie Wench

If I were to guess, I'd say either allergies or thyroid dysfunction. But I'm not a vet and shouldn't be guessing .

First two things I would do....avoid corn and grains in dog food as many dogs have allergy reactions to them and, find a new vet. If he hasn't been able to figure it out in 1 1/2 years, I'd be looking elsewhere for professional help .

Good luck in finding real answers soon .
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Eurasier View Post
We have a 1.5 year old male Eurasier named Loki who has had chronic skin issues for his entire life. We got him from a breeder in the states when he was three months old and he was flown to here to BC over night. When we got him he was on a high protein kibble diet and he was very itchy and had skin sores on much of his body but his fur was still ok.
Did you contact his original breeder in the US about selling you a pup in this condition? Are any of their other pups like this?

Are you still feeding a raw diet now? What are the proteins you are feeding?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the site! I have to say those sores look awefully similiar to the sores my guy used to get. I have to ask exactly what are you feeding him now? It took many years for me to figure out a food change would work. We did not know if he had an environmental allergy or if perhaps the outside environment (pesticides on grass etc) were causing it. We did the same thing as you with shots and cream but they were only temporary solutions. He was being fed Vet prescribed Hills food which as I learned much later was not a good quality food. We now feed Orijen and since he started we have had no reocurring problems with spots or itchies!

Your doggies coat also looks a little dry in one picture? How old is your pup?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others, in that it might be some sort of allergic reaction.

Do you have any place you can find some sulfur soap? Bathing him in this may help with the itching. It's basically similar to what they do when they give them a lime sulfur dips, which is what Maks had done when he was a kitty and had scabies. It may give him some relief.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Poor guy! That definitely looks like it would bother him!

I would suggest having bloodwork done - it may give a vet some insight into what is happening. Perhaps a severe allergy or an immune related problem.

I also agree with perhaps finding a different vet for a second opinion. Having a fresh set of eyes looking at it can't hurt.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
If I were to guess, I'd say either allergies or thyroid dysfunction. But I'm not a vet and shouldn't be guessing .

First two things I would do....avoid corn and grains in dog food as many dogs have allergy reactions to them and, find a new vet. If he hasn't been able to figure it out in 1 1/2 years, I'd be looking elsewhere for professional help .

Good luck in finding real answers soon .
Looks like thyroid to me too. Kees blood in these dogs and thyroid issues are known with kees. My first kees had very similar looking problems. Only a blood test from the vet can confirm though. Poor dog, must be driving him crazy. I hope they find an answer for him soon.

clm
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM

Thank you for all the replies.

To answer some of the other questions:

We haven't been in contact with the breeder. However, we have been in contact with the owners of 2 of his brothers. They are susceptible to skin problems, but nothing like this. They just have to be careful with food otehrwise they get minor skin irritation.

As for the type of food, every 3 months we have been switching trying to find something that would help improve his skin but nothing really has. We have done grain free, raw and high end but with grain. 3 days ago we switched to Natural Balance Lamb and Rice at the advice of the Eurasier breeder that my sister got her Eurasier from (different breeder than the one we go Loki from).

The vet says it is not any type of mange, and the Thyroid tests came back today saying that he is in the very middle of the range that is considered normal.

And his fur is quite dry in the areas where he has the skin problem, but is actually very soft in the areas that he does not.

So now the vet wants to do a skin biopsy, which i guess can find things like fungus or a few other problems not found in blood tests. And an allergy test.

Last edited by Loki Eurasier; October 20th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Loki thats great news that it is not the thyroid! but it must be driving you crazy not knowing what it is!

I guess yoou have tried different foods too! poor boy he must be so uncomfortable!

What about a high quality food with no grains, and no chicken...It seems that there are a lot of dogs with chicken allergies too??

I hope the tests come up with some results so you know what your looking at?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes good news about the thyroid test coming back normal for sure although it would be much better to know exactly what's causing it. The dry fur around the bare batches and the soft fur still so remind me of my first dog though.
Do you have a lot of carpeting? We ended up getting rid of ours and we found in the spring and summertime, if he spent a lot of time on grass that would set off problems too.

clm
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Senior Contributor

an oatmeal bath would really help sooth his skin and remove some of the dryness, have you thought of switching household cleaners? Try natural cleaners in the home, my one dog had an allergy to cleaners such as pinesol, mr clean....anything at all with chemical in it , we had to cease spraying our home for spiders and quit spraying our yard....went to all natural cleaners etc....
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't use any chemicals in the garden either, haven't for years because of the dogs and the pond. Weeds in the grass and bugs in the plants sometimes, but I prefer to let the natural predators like birds and good bugs to look after them.

clm
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Our family has a lot of allergies and is quite sensitive to cleaners, so everything we use is natural and very light. Meaning, most of our cleaners are citrus based. And we don't use chemicals in the yard.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Loki Eurasier, I just sent you a private message.
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello. I have a boston terrier with the same problems. Started at 6 months. We still don't know what the cause is. I did notice however that late summer to fall she was worse. She eats Go duck food with duck canned. You must try the diet for at least 12 weeks they say, with no treats and only one protein source. I tried the prescription diet, yukk......We shampoo with medicated shampoo and a leave in conditioner. We also tried Atopica for enviromental allergies, it made her sick to her stomach but does work on some dogs. Do the biopsy it could rule out parasites. Do the advantage multi for a long period for parasites as well. As far a allergy tests on the skin, it's very expensive and inconclusive if you ask me. We didn't go that far. We spent a year with a dermatologist vet. It's trial and error and you keeping a log to triggers and times of the seasons. Pardon my spelling, check for sebhorrea, it has a greasy smelly odor.

Good luck,
Marty still scratches but the sores are gone.

Last edited by Marty11; October 21st, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
banned user

It is very informative post.

Tags
flaky, fur, losing, skin, sores