Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Nanaimo bars...

The "classic" recipe:

Bottom layer:

1c melted butter
1/2 c granulated sugar
1c cocoa
2 eggs
1 1/2 c coconut
3 c graham cracker crumbs

Melt butter with sugar and cocoa on a double boiler. While stirring like a mad person, add eggs and continue stirring like a mad person. Gradually, with your third hand () stir in the graham crumbs, and then the coconut. You may have some graham left over. Mixture should end up thick enough to really hurt your arm or break your spatula/spoon when stirring. Press into the bottom of a pan, preferably square or rectangular. Chill while you make the middle.

Middle layer:

1/2 c butter (softened)
4 Tbsp custard power
2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp milk
2 c icing sugar

Mix butter and custard powder. Add vanilla and milk and then gradually add the icing sugar. This is the favorite layer. Be sure to taste a lot as you go. I usually make double the number of recipes used for the bottom layer (so if you make one bottom, make at least 2 middles). Chill this layer for about an hour before adding the top chocolate (has to be firm).

Top:

12 oz chocolate
3 1/2 Tbsp butter

The less butter you put, the harder the top and that can make them harder to cut in the end.

Chill the whole thing either for a half hour and then slice it in the pan with a strong knife or if you line the pans with waxed paper, leaving enough over the edge to be able to pull the whole thing out in one big chunk, you can leave it over night so it gets really hard and then chop it with a chef's knife. At this point, I pack them up and freeze them, taking them out to thaw about 4 hours before they're needed. Always keep them in the fridge when they're not frozen or being quickly eaten.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

If you want to be lazy, and don't want to look up the real recipe for grasshopper bars/ minty nanaimo bars, then you just make an extra bottom layer recipe above (because it's pretty well close enough) and then substitute this for the middle layer:

Middle of Minty nanaimos:

Melt 1/2 C butter
Combine with 1/3 creme de menthe (can be the fake, no alcohol kind too).
Mix on low speed (liquidy) and add 3 C icing sugar gradually.

And then you top off as in the regulars.

(The real recipe for the bottom has 1C icing sugar instead of 1/2 C granulated sugar is in the regular nanaimos. Don't know why it's different...)

Last edited by Prin; December 27th, 2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: finishing touches
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:21 AM

btw, it's much easier to have a helper for the bottom layer, as well as to have measured everything out in little bowls like the cooking shows do. It gets REALLY stressful once you add the eggs because if you slow down for a half a second, you get egg clumps in your mixture. You don't want egg clumps. They're not nanaimomelettes.

Oh, and in case you don't know what double boiling is, you take a steel mixing bowl, pretty large one, and a pot. You fill the pot with enough water to immerse just the bottom of the bowl when the bowl sits on the pot. And then you boil the water in the pot.

I use two pots... But then you always have to have a hand on the smaller pot that you're mixing in because when you let go, the water from underneath comes over the rim...
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Live well, laugh often

I cheated and had my mom make them .
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:23 AM

lol My grandmother used to make them for me... But she put walnuts in the base instead of coconut... I prefer the coconut...

Bet now you appreciate them even more!
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM
-

That looks sinful Prin ! My Nanaimo recipe is a little different in the base:

1/cup butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 cups rolled oats, 1 cup coconut and chopped nuts (optional). The middle layer is the same (I use icing sugar) and I always use dark chocolate for the top drizzled lightly with a little melted milk chocolate. I've also used crumbled hard ginger cookies in place of the rolled oats (or graham cracker crumbs) ~ that's very tasty too !

Last edited by mummummum; December 27th, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Yeah, my aunt makes it with oats too. I can't--- can't eat oats...