Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM

RMB question please

I haven't posted in quite a long time, but would like to know what is the best meaty beef bone to give my girls. I have 3 boxers, Grace-10 months, Lucy-one year and Molly-5 year old. I have just recently start to feed raw (about 2 months ago) and all 3 girls are doing great and just love it. I purchase their food in bulk already frozen which consists of ground meat, bone, organs, egg, alfalfa and kelp. I give them turkey and chicken necks about twice a week, but no beef bones yet. Also it would be great to know what is a good recreational bone to give them for those Sunday afternoons just lying under the trees. Thanks for your help. Joanne
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Really, the only beef bone i would suggest is beef neck bones. Possibly ribs as well. Depends on your dogs. Im gonna say you have power chewers so the ribs might be too much for them. A large beef neck bone would work great!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Honest Contributor

or a whole cow's head (scott, don't bother posting the pics, LOL!)

yes on meat-covered neck bones, and ribs. or a shank if you can get it...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:07 AM

Thank you both for your help. I will certainly check out the beef necks. Not sure about the ribs. It took some holding on tight to the chicken necks at first so they wouldn't swallow the whole thing. But they are getting the idea that they can crunch them and it is not so scary. I can only say it is exciting to see them so happy about meal time and they can't wait to see what I pull out of the refrigerator next.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM

i dont like chicken necks for the simple fact they're too small for most dogs. Cats are fine, but dogs, unless they're attached to the bird, i'd pass on them. And by ribs i'm not talking individual ribs..try a slab. 5 or 6 rips together.

Also, hand feeding or holding on to food can also cause a dog to gulp more, as they feel you may take it at any time. I've always found it best to sit back and watch. Don't hover. And feed large whole items if you can.

Old June 1st, 2007, 12:05 AM

Scott both you and Technodoll are wonderful resources. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us Newbies!!!
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM

Yes, thanks everyone from my furgirls. I read this board alot and learn something every time I'm here. Your advice is terrific. I don't really have support with feeding raw food. My kids think I'm crazy. My daughter's friend is a vet and she is so totally against raw. But, I must admit I think my husband is turning his thoughts around. My girlfriend feeds her dogs raw and together we research lots and read tons.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM

After some scares with my terrier wolfing down rib bones (lamb) whole, I finally latched on a vise grip to one end which forces him to chew the thing! I can't live without that vise grip now!
I also found a place with humongous beef bones that my dog couldn't possibly eat but loves gnawing on!
Blessings,
Belinda
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Swift Tribe

with all of this concern over chewing bones... should i be concerned over Mister eating bones? he seems to really take his time with his meals- he takes probably 20 minutes of chewing, sniffing and licking his half a chicken (whole). i swear at times he just gazes lovingly at it!! what a strange dog... shoudl i be concerned he may start playing with it?

-ash
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Learning fast

Our 2 get 10 minutes. It's not needed unless like now, Riley is still chewing through the beef rib bones. As for feeding bones, if there not cooked and are not the weight bearing bones of large mamals then go for it, infoact unless you have another calcium scorce in there, you have to.