Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
-

I am glad to hear that Jaida is doing well after her second operation. I agree with everyone about not second guessing yourself. You are a great mom and your love for Jaida shows tremendously.

Lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery.

We'd love to see lots more pics of your beautiful girl too.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
We'd love to see lots more pics of your beautiful girl too.
I second that !
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad she's doing well, bendyfoot! And that you're feeling a bit better, too. She'll do well!

Now, don't forget those pics when you get her back home! We're really looking forward to them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Geek Club CEO

Hi all,
well, I'm at home with Jaida. She's got a full body-wrap pressure bandage (pink...not her colour, yuck...but I will try to get some pics later anyways).She is confined in the downstairs bathroom thanks to a baby gate. I am sitting 3 feet away from her and she's howling her fool head off. She hates being physically separated from anyone, but I'm not risking her getting ideas about chasing cats or playing with Gracie.

Yesterday was a little rough. She was thrilled to see me when I picked her up...got out to the car on her own ok. Then screamed bloody murder when I put her in the car...I hurt her picking her up. We settled in the house alright, she said hello (quietly) to everyone, had dinner and meds. Had some small ouch moments when we had to do the stairs again, but nothing too bad. She settled ok for sleeping...

Then we woke from a dead sleep with our hearts in our throats...screams of pain...she had rolled onto her "bad" side and didn't seem to know what to do...leapt out of bed and got her repositioned and calmed down...lots of heavy breathing and whining through the rest of the night, but I suppose nothing too out of the ordinary for her (she's very vocal)...I lay awake all night listening to every sound.

Ok this morning until after her poop...strangest thing...did her business, took a few steps, then started screaming again...calmed down after she leaned herself against my legs...god, I'm sure the neighbours thought we were killing her.
She wouldn't walk back to the door, so had to carry her into the house. I have to say, thank GOD she's not heavier. She's over 45 lbs now, and it's one thing to carry her when she's feeling good, or even when she still had her stump, but a whole other ball of wax with this incision...very difficult to properly support her chest without a) hurting her or b) breaking my back. I actually pulled a quad muscle this morning doing the "clean and jerk" with her (you know, trying to bend at the knees)...painful, but I'll manage.

She's settled now...resting. I hope she gets some sleep
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

OH the poor thing !! And poor you !! I hope the healing goes well--and quickly. What an ordeal for the both of you !
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
-

OMG , I don't think I could deal with the screaming , breaks your heart does it ? She has to learn how to fonction with 3 legs, this souldn't take long, speedy recovery Jaida
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor Jaida and you too! It must be heartwrenching to hear her screaming. Most likely all her muscles are in the process now of realigning to the new body structure and she can't figure out why it all hurts. She's going to be stressing parts that she didn't use to have to stress. But it's good that she's trying and she's taking comfort in mommy. I hope she heals up fast this time - she's so sweet. More pics in her pretty pink wrapper pls... this is probably harder on you than her.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM

:sad: I hope the pain gets better soon.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Awww!! I'm so sorry you're both having such a hard time! Poor sweetie doesn't understand what's happening. I really admire everything you've done and are doing for her. She's a lucky puppy. Hang in there!! And be sure you set aside some time for YOU to rest once she's pulled through the worst of it. HUGS!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Geek Club CEO

She's back at the hospital...siiiiggggghhhhhh.

I noticed some weird squishy bumps on either side of the bandage...called the vet...had to haul her back in...turns out they were large blood blisters...fluid buildup getting squished out from under the bandage.

She got them drained, and they took the bandage off to have a look. I got to see it. It's a HUGE incision, shaped like an "L", probably about 7-8 inches in each direction. I prepped myself for this kind of incision over the past few months by looking at pictures of other dogs who had the same surgery, so it wasn't shocking to me. The good news is, although she looked rather Frankenstein-esque, the incision looks really, really good, better than the other one ever did.

They decided it would be best to keep her until Saturday, to keep her as quiet as possible, monitor the fluid buildup, possibly put a drain in, rebandage and then be able to give her stronger pain drugs, too, without us having to deal with a stumbly, weirded-out dog. I'm sad to have her gone again, but happy she's in good hands and releived...it's been very difficult watching and hearing her discomfort...also sleep-deprived from lying awake listening to her all night...a few nights of sleep will help us cope with her better when she comes home.

Boys, oh boys...what a crazy couple of weeks it's been.

Having trouble uploading photos...I snapped one before I brought her in...I'll get it up tomorrow...
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Geek Club CEO

Here she is...managed to find a comfy position for a little while, poor soul.

Old June 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,poor girl:sad: I hope the stay at the hospital will help with her pain,I can't imagine how I would feel if any of my cats were screaming in pain..
Poor,poor Jaida and you, she will be fine..
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe she'll rest more at the hospital since it's unfamiliar and she won't be looking to do the things she does at home. I'm just trying to find the silver lining here, but they might be abe to restrict her movement more. At home she would see you and want to be with you, but there she'll be more likely to just rest if she's restricted ??
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep...no distractions there. She won't be happy, but she will be quieter--and that's a good thing! She's in good hands, bendyfoot. Nice to hear that the incision is looking so good, despite the fluid buildup.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
-

Awww.....poor Jaida and poor you. I couldn't bear to hear one of mine crying out in pain and there's nothing you can do. :sad:

I am really glad she is back at the vet. Although it's hard for the both of you, it's the best place for her for a few days, until she gets used to her loss. I hope she recovers well.
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

It's so sad to see Jaida just laying there. You are amazing with her.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
-

I'm glad she's at the vet until Saterday. Much safer for her, and less stress for you. If anything happens, she will get the care she needs asap. It must be so hard on you, but just think how good she will feel , very soon I hope. She is so cute lying on her pillow, she's lucky to have a mom like you !
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

poor girl.
she is lucky to have a mom as deicated as you.
feel better soon and soon enough you guys will make it through this and youll have your same dog back.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Geek Club CEO

Good morning everyone!
I just got off the phone with Jaida's vet...she's had a good night. Her bandage is still off, there is still quite a lot of fluid, but some is draining out on its own through the incision. Painwise, she is allowing the vet/techs to touch her chest and near the incision site without complaint...they have only had one "screaming" epidose when they touched some fluid buildup near her sternum...weird because that's very far from the surgical site. He's rating her pain response at about 2/10...very good. She is begining to resign herself to all the quiet/isolation time...she still calls out for people a bit, but is mostly resting quietly without complaint. Apparently they couldn't get her to pee this morning because she was so thrilled about all the people around her that she spent all her time visiting and talking instead of doing her business.
Dr. Sparling is going to get other members of his staff (other vets) to come see Jaida so they can brainstorm and pool their ideas about what course of action they should take. There is still discussion about drains and/or bandaging in the future. He mentioned that there is a possibility that Jaida has a mild clotting disorder. Nothing serious, or she would have bled out during her surgeries and her spay/dewclaw incisions healed up just fine.
So, long story short, she remains in good hands, I am feeling optimistic, and I was able to get some much-needed sleep last night. We are preparing an xtra large crate for her for when she comes home tomorrow. I suspect there will be xtra large temper tantrums about it, but what can you do?
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

for a good night! Glad you got some sleep and Jaida is feeling a little happier.

Home tomorrow already! I'm always much happier when my little convalescents come home. Don't forget to pamper yourself while you're pampering sweet Jaida!

s and crossed s for continued recovery and lots of shlurpy kisses from the Pack for Jaida!

Old June 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Geek Club CEO

She continues to do well at the vets. They will be sedating her shortly so that they can insert a drain in her chest, and remove the fluids that are there now. Hopefully this will get the edema under control, and we'll have a problem-free weekend.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Doggie Wench

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Jaida. Big hugs to you both.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'm glad she is doing better. You are a great mom and here's lots of hugs coming your way for such a tough time.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

With all the s heading Jaida's way, how can the weekend be anything but problem-free!? Is she still coming home or will they keep her there for an extra day to make sure the drain is working?

Old June 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Geek Club CEO

She's coming home at 4:00 on Saturday...that was the original plan, and so far we're sticking with it. The clinic is closed after that for the long weekend, but our vet is on call and only a pager beep away if something comes up. My biggest fear is that we'll land in the emerg hospital if she needs more intensive care...we had to do that at Easter with her for four days ("fever of unknown origin"), and it sucked. As much as I was happy they were there, and got her well, I was less than impressed with the staff and their service...not much in the way of bedside manners or communication. Not to mention, they're not very sympathetic when it comes to all the medical expenses we've incurred with this little gal. Our vet has been extremely forgiving in this respect (he's not charging us for the hospitalization right now, for example), which is a darn good thing 'cause we're already broke But what can you do? She's our baby and we'll do what needs to be done.
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, I hear ya about the vet bills! It's so nice to find an understanding vet, though, isn't it?

Well, the Pack and I are hoping the weekend goes uneventfully--with plenty of TLC, lovin' and healing! She's going to be very happy to be home!

Old June 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Geek Club CEO

Thanks!
I'll update as soon as I'm able. Gotta run!
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Crystal all our thoughts and prayers that you and Jaida (and all the family) have an extremely restful and uneventful weekend. She looks so sweet sleeping on her pillow (what do you mean pink's not her colour???) I don't have computer access at home so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to check up - that's gonna kill me. I really hope she has a better time with the pain issues now. I went through all that drainage stuff with my last dog - it was horrible. They didn't put a drainage tube in her neck after surgery and we also had swelling. It took many return trips to get the drainage issue sorted out (vet's fault). So it's good that they're going to address it right away. So relax a bit yourself, glad you got a good night sleep. Hugs and kisses for sweet Jaida.
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear that Jaida is doing so well after her second surgery. She sounds like a strong little pup. Yay Jaida, you'll be running around in no time!!

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
-

Glad to hear that Jaida is improving and it's nice that you have such an understanding vet. She will be so excited to be home with you tomorrow. I hope the worst is over and all goes well and she has a speedy recovery.