Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Tips for getting rid of skunks

Does anyone have any tried and true remedies for getting rid of skunks?

Last summer my two dogs were both sprayed and I have an eerie feeling that they may have just dug a den under the shed on the edge of our property.

I was reading about a product that is a powder that can be used to repel them that is fox urine. Has anyone ever tried this or have you found something that worked much better?

Would love to hear what you've used and what's worked. I would really want to get out our bbq as well as the kiddie swimming pool that the dogs love to cool off in but afraid to go near the shed right now.

Jo

Mary Engelbreit
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
-

Have you ask your vet? I know mine sell a stuff to get skunk out of the property but it's not dog/cat friendly
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Wondering how to get rid of skunks? There is no magic spray or device that you can use to make them go away. Some people try to sell predator urine, such as coyote or fox urine to get rid of skunks, but that doesn't work. They also try to sell ultrasonic sound emitters. These devices are worthless at eliminating skunks. Some old wive's tales recommend the use of mothballs or ammonia-soaked rags to make them leave, but I've been to countless homes where these techniques failed - biologists know that these attempts won't work. The ONE AND ONLY WAY to take care of your problem is with trapping and removal of the animals.
If you call an animal removal company make sure they are humane and release it at least 5 kms from your home. The humane society may be able to give you a list of good ones. Nothing is worse then when your dogs get sprayed it takes so long to really get it out. Buddy got it last summer pheww
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

my mother swears by mothballs. she's been using them for years. I haven't tried, since I don't have a skunk problem, but it seems to me it's an inexpensive idea to at least try.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

But poisonous to dogs and cats
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if it would work, but I'd certainly give it a try - as skunks are creatures of the night try putting lights around the shed. You would have to leave them on at night, but it should deter the skunks as they prefer to move under cover of darkness.

Also, if you just don't want them under your shed, I have had skunk problems near my beehives, and I bought carpet tack strips at the hardware store. Those are the little thin strips of wood with tiny sharp tack/nails sticking out all over them. You put them along the baseboards of your house to hold carpets in place. I laid these out along the perimeter of my beehives and the skunks don't like to walk on them. If you know the skunks don't have babies under the shed you could cover the entrance hole under the shed with these strips (make sure the dogs can't walk on them though).

Just a couple thoughts. I think the lighting may deter them. I didn't want to use that around my hives as it could upset the bee clocks...
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

DogDancer are you a beekeeper? I am sorry if that is the wrong term but like Fonda in Ules Gold
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Call the local fish and wildlife office and ask if you can borrow a skunk trap.

This traps them humanely and then you can transport them to a different location and let them go . . . . . . take them at least 10 miles away or they'll come back.

Use sardines as bait . . . . believe it or not. Skunks find sardines irresitable!!!

The trap is a low, rectangular cage thing . . . . . it's low so that the skunk doesn't have room to lift its tail.

Unfortunately, the last time I did this I came across a juvenile skunk just small enough to lift its tail . . . . . SPLAT!!! on my leg (I was wearing shorts). . . . . . so, I had about an hour and a half to de-skunkify myself, transport this skunk out into the wild and then report to a ball tournament where I would have to apologize in advance to people I'd never met about how I smelled.

Nice.

So learn from my mistakes.

If you're unsure of how smart the skunk is that you've trapped, you can get an old expendible blanket and have that in front of you when you approach the trap . . . . then wrap the entire trap in the blanket.

Oh, and its best if you transport the trap and skunk in a trailer rather than putting it in your vehicle . . . . I thought I would just state the obvious rather than you trapping a skunk then being flummoxed about what to do with it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:35 PM
<-----nut ball

My mother always got rid of skunks by watching to make sure they were not in their "den" (early night, went out with a flashlight and watched them leave) then by putting larg bunch of rocks/bricks near the entrance to the den.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks for so many replies and suggestions

Now if only the hubby and I weren't so chicken but to go neaby and check. I don't know how we're going to get around this but I do want them gone and hate always checking outside with the flashlight first to see if I can take out the dogs without any problems.

I'll post what we end up doing and if we really do get rid of the pests.

Thanks everyone,

Jo

Mary Engelbreit