Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I missed it too.

I think that sometimes, people are just ignorant and do things wrong because they just don't know. I know some people that honestly thought that one litter makes a bitch better. I think everyone should get educated (and that education sometimes takes the form of me ranting... I mean explaining to them about unwanted puppies) Once you know, you have no more excuses.

Lyne
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Yikes!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Breeding? You are allowing people who adopted your BYB puppies to breed irresponsibly bred, unregistered, and untitled pit bulls? Aren't there enough of them in the shelters and rescues already?

I know your dog was pregnant when you got her (what's the reason Boo was never spayed?) but allowing this cycle of irresponsible breeding (of pit bulls in ON, of all places) to continue is compounding the tragedy of this breed that is overpopulated and dying in large numbers specifically because people are doing exactly this.

It was your responsibility to rectify the situation by either having the puppies spayed/neutered before adoption (the fee would cover the cost) or having adopters sign a contract stating they would do so by a certain age and enforcing it.

Are you going to be responsible for all the puppies you may have had or will have a hand in creating?

Estimating the single litter of one dam = 7 puppies
with 5 of those puppies producing offspring: 5 x 35 = 175 Span Tabulations Total # Dogs
1st Generation 7 7
2nd Generation 5 x 35 175
3rd Generation 175 x 35 6,125
4th Generation 6,125 x 35 21,4375
5th Generation 21,4375 x 35 7,503,125
6th Generation 7,503,125 x 35 26,261,060
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think that sometimes, people are just ignorant and do things wrong because they just don't know. I know some people that honestly thought that one litter makes a bitch better. I think everyone should get educated (and that education sometimes takes the form of me ranting... I mean explaining to them about unwanted puppies) Once you know, you have no more excuses
I agree, and anyone owning or breeding pit bulls better start caring and educating themselves PDQ.
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope they do Lucky.
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I agree, and anyone owning or breeding pit bulls better start caring and educating themselves PDQ.
AMEN to that!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM

See what I mean???? I clearly stated the reason Boo had not yet been spayed, MONEY. The problem is no one read throughly enough, and they go off. Prime example. I'm young, I live on my own, and since the time she has been old enough, just not financially possible. So, to this board that is irresponsible, fine, whatever. So, does that mean I should throw them out? Leave them to someone else's expense, add to the Pits in the Pound. NO, I CAN JUST DO THE BEST THAT I CAN FOR MY KIDS, AND LOVE THEM TO DEATH. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. I'm going into no further detail about my financial situation still to this day, cause its none of anyones business. But, if you're not willing to read every post over until you get all the facts, your just adding to the Bul**hit that I was origianlly trying to stop.
What am I to do about pups, I could not have paid for all to be spayed not to mention they were too young, and I have said how many times that I still know where everyone of them are (THEY HAVE ALL BEEN FIXED< BOO DUE ON FRIDAY). I did not even expect them, I just got called home from work one day to my dog dropping babies. It was an accident I dealt with and I did it to the best of my ability. If you're all more responsible owners the me, so be it. There is no use arguing anyway. About the breeding, I did not know anything about PUPS, I was not a breeder, just in a crappy situation. I did not know what I could hold people to legally, and what they could come back on me for. So sue me for not knowing I had the right to tell them they could not breed at all. The point is really not about whether BYB is acceptable, its about people attacking others without facts. And not taking time to ask questions.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM

I get the feeling even though I have been reading these threads for a while, I still didn't read enough... Oh well.

Whinnie, ok, so you didn't know then what you know now. (I'm presuming because I haven't read all your posts) Now, if you adopted a pregnant dog unknowingly, you would do things differently, right? And Boo is getting spayed this week. So things are improving. No more puppies and now you can also educate people.

Right?

Lyne
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Not everyone reads every post here. There is a lot going on and it's hard to keep track of what stories have changed. So sometimes you have to repeat yourself.

It's not just some members of this board that find it irresponsible not to spay or neutuer. There are THOUSANDS of advocate organizations for spaying a neutuering. To me, whinne, it seems that you are very resourceful person. There are groups, humane societies, veterinary schools that have low cost spay and neutuer clinics. I'm sure you could find something.

I too am young; I live on my own and have a cat and dog. They are both UTD and fixed. You can't use that as an excuse. I know it's hard sometimes, trust me, I've been there... but there are resouces. ie: Briggs is due for a rabies shot in Feb. so I save money to make sure she gets it.

Accidents happen? That's a great way to look at it?!?! This is UNAVOIDABLE! Kinda like running with scissors....
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

So how's everyone enjoying the new forum?
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn, join me for ice cream?
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:03 PM

This is gonna get ugly

Sammiec if you cared enough to read all the posts you would have seen that when Whinnie was rescued ( more like dropped at her door) she was ALREADY Pregnant! OMGAWSH the ignorance of people sometimes completely amazes me...........

When you say that a dog you rescued that was already pregnant........ and that accidents like that are preventable yeah sure........ had she been in her possession from the start I could say okay........but come on now are you really that narrow minded????

Since attacking Whinnie seems to be the idea here I am going to stand up and say that I have just about had it with the attitude that she was in the wrong.

I am going to say this and probably be told off pretty good but what the heck........... why should this not be a total waste of time..........

There are things we can control in this life and there are things we cannot......... I understand completely how it feels to be the one there when a "rescue" is put down.......... and I know the heartbreak of not being able to place them but for all of you on your soap boxes preaching about how ALL pets need to come from shelters and that no one should breed until all UNWANTED dogs have homes............ CHECK into REALITY! I am a realist and I know that no matter how much you preach, beg, and get into everyone`s face about this the problem is NOT going to go away! It is sad but that is the harsh reality of life. Not everyone is going to be a responsible owner, and you cannot make someone RESPONSIBLE.

The millions of strays or unwanted pets that are put to sleep every year are not the fault of people like Whinnie............. so get off her back already! The problem is that there are always going to be people out there that are irresponsible........... and cruel............ and who don`t give a rats a$$ about the dog or other pet they have. It is a problem with HUMANS not PETS.

For anyone else who wants to take a swing at Whinnie let me tell you that I am standing there ready to defend her and the actions she has taken.

Maybe instead of preaching how bad a person is before you start slamming them you should do your homework .............. if you had in this case you would have realized that the dog in question was a RESCUE dog that came to her that way......... and she chose to do what she thought was best( I am sure with the opinion of her vet as well).

This kind of constant attack is doing NOTHING for the pets you say you are trying to save........... if anything it will scare off any new members who don`t want to suffer the same wrath.

As long as we, as a race ( and I mean the human race) continue to attack those who don`t agree with our point of view we are going to deal with this as well as other unspeakable atrocities. Yes I feel for the pets that never find a home, yes I feel for the puppy miller dogs, and yes I feel for those who have to work with this on a daily basis,,,, but it is not going to get better by everyone jumping all over someone for making a choice that isn`t what you may feel was right.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
banned user

DL... I surely hope you're not calling anyone ignorant? If Sammie made a mistake about which dog was pregnant, or which one ISN'T fixed, that hardly makes her ignorant.

This entire board has an opinion and for the most part it is to fix your pet no matter what! With that said... Whinnie saying stuff like this, sarcastic or not, is going to make a stink!
Quote:
I love to show off my BYB pups, don't you know???
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammiec is not ignorant. This concerns people - ALOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnie-boo
I made people sign contracts stating they would not crop the tail or ears & have them medically tested before breeding.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
banned user

Cropping them should be the least of anyones worries....
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

It was the breeding part I was referring to, sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM

No one in particular

My comment about ignorant people is in general and Sneaky you have to have met some in your lifetime .................

If you knew the story you would have known that the BYB comment was very sarcastic. It was understood by myself and anyone else on this board who knows how Whinnie has been labeled since the post about the dog having those puppies. Not all vets will agree to spay your pregnant dog....... I know because the one here refuses to .
For some people in this world Ignorance is Bliss...........

I just want everyone to get all the facts before going off on someone.......

Last edited by DogueLover; January 6th, 2005 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Just to add.......
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
banned user

Quote:
Sammiec if you cared enough to read all the posts you would have seen that when Whinnie was rescued ( more like dropped at her door) she was ALREADY Pregnant! OMGAWSH the ignorance of people sometimes completely amazes me...........
You call this "in general"?? Is Sammie's name not in the front of this rant?

And LL1... I didn't misunderstand, I wanted to add that to my comments earlier and you reminded me about it...
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Yes her name is at the beginning but ...........

Like I said the ignorance comment has to do with the general population not her in particular. She obviously did not have all the information and that irritates me because I know how people have labeled Whinnie over this and it is not fair to her.\

If this ticks anyone off well then I guess it will, and if they throw me off the board over it well so be it , I am just stating how I feel ......... because what happened to Whinnie has happened to me when I asked a simple question about my Dogue........... and I think it needs to stop.

Sammiec I don`t think you are an ignorant person, I just think you needed to know the whole story about Whinnie and the puppies. This was not a breeding that happened while she was with Whinnie Boo it was the state she was in when she got her. Those things we cannot prevent. I thnk that she did what she could and had to deal with what she was handed......... I don`t know that I would have done anything different put in that same situation and I don`t believe it is fair to chew her out over it. Everyone makes decisions in life that they feel are the best for their situation........ we don`t have to agree with them but I do feel we should respect them.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

OK - thanks Sammiec!
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

throwing my hat in the ring

Just clarify for me why you would then add additional pets to your home if the one's you have you cannot afford to alter?

Take it as you like but we survive on one salary in this home and all are animals that come in get altered with the exception of our potbellied pig who is still too young to do so with, but will get done when she is ready. Which may mean a slimmer grocery week for a month but that's the responsible approach, no?
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Where was that posted? I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
When you first posted here about Boo being pregnant you had already had a dog that had a litter and were expecting another one (as you thought), but things turned out differently, right?...
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM

@ sammiec,

I have no idea where you work, what you make, what you pay in rent, or any financial details about you. I'm glad you have extra too SAVE but all of us aren't that lucky. So, if you can provide better for them.....shall I drop them off to you? Or maybe the pound in hopes that they'll find a better owner who has money to spay them immediatley. You have no idea about my finacial situation, and if its not a good enough excuse for not having Boo spayed yet, OH-WELL. It is the truth. I have nothing to hide, I just have not been able to afford it, for reasons that are no one's business.
For the last time, this whole thread has nothing to do with BYB, it was a joke between Dougelover and I, who has taken the time to ask about my situation and understands where I'm coming from, when she first saw pic's of my kids.
Now, this whole Rant can be turned to be about me, but thats not how it started. This forum was started & titled by Admin. not me.

This is just stupid, and every post it gets worse. Attack me all you want.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Too many puzzle pieces missing

This is exactly what Whinnie said, things get moved around and pieces are missing so only parts of the story get told.
I know that caring for your pets is a huge responsibility and that a litter of pups or a pregnant dog coming to your home is not something you can plan for so what are you to do?

Can anyone tell me that had this dog been dropped on your doorstep you would have turned your back and said " Gee if there was only something I could do?"
This pet was not purchased nor was the litter planned so those two things have to be taken into consideration......... don`t they? And as I said before NOT all vets will spay a pregnant dog..........
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Dougelover, Honey, Thanks you so much, but don't waste your breath. If no one is willing to go over all my posts on there own, before they get on here talking *hit, no big deal. Let them think whatever they want. There's nothing you can do.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Allow people to breed pups from that dog that arrived pregnant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogueLover
This pet was not purchased nor was the litter planned so those two things have to be taken into consideration......... don`t they? And as I said before NOT all vets will spay a pregnant dog..........
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm curious about the other litters mentionned.
Quote:
This is exactly what Whinnie said, things get moved around and pieces are missing so only parts of the story get told.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Whinnie is in Ontario - LOTS of vets will spay a pregnant dog - trust me. Would take only a few phone calls.
Quote:
And as I said before NOT all vets will spay a pregnant dog..........
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I am just going to point out whinnie also stated awhile back that they were all neutered and spayed since they were adopted
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
banned user

She said she didn't know what she could put in the contract as far as limiting breeding.... Also LL1, the other one thought to be pregnant was a pup from the first litter mentioned...
Not that it matters, I don't think anything's going to change.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM

well alrighty then

Whinnie.

This has soured me again toward dealing with any rescues,
I know you followed your heart and that is good enough for me.

Other than taking people to court after they breed a dog on a non breeding contract there is little that can be done anyway so why even bother putting it in the contract?

Need a dogue smile to get you through???