Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old June 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Exclamation can you think of anything

[B]hi,
I have a cat that's about 10 months old, and he used to belong to my roomate. I have noticed that sence he has been fixed and declawed he hasn't been himself anymore....he barely eats, he weighs 6 pounds now, and my 6 month old cat weighs more. It's not often he wants to play anymore with us. And he has no interest in my two other cats....now before the vet he used to play with my cat all the time they loved eachother....but all he does now is sleeps.....i'm thinking depression but he does still play wen he feels like it and he always wants affection from me....the reason he is now mine is cause he seems to be more interested in me than anyone els. He stays in my room all the time wen i'm not home and if i'm sitting in the living room he will come find me there and than go straight back to sleep....now i have tryed changing the food to see if he would like it and i always end up with the same results...he picks at it. He also drinks alot of water. he also been after his ears alot but the last time we brought him in the vet said he didn't have ear mites. so i don't know if that plays a factore to his problem. But i am verry concerned about him... the last thing i need is to wake up and him not breathing i have another appointment for him in 3 days. but the vet didn't sound to convincing wen i was talking to her over the phone.

any segestion on what it could be...maybe i'll be able to bring it up to the vet wen i bring him in. (sorry for the spelling)
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihoko View Post
I have noticed that sence he has been fixed and declawed he hasn't been himself anymore....

i have another appointment for him in 3 days. but the vet didn't sound to convincing wen i was talking to her over the phone.
Is this the same vet that declawed him? If so, take him to another vet. This one apparently doesn't give a flying f*** about the wellbeing of cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He may be in pain from the declawing , please take your cat to another vet, this is not normal for a kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
He may be in pain from the declawing , please take your cat to another vet, this is not normal for a kitty.
I agree. So sad that the vet did not explain that the cat's behaviour also changes with declawing. Also there may have been complications due to the 'procedure'.

Get well little one....
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:45 AM

If you are able to tactfully reply with advice, please do. If, however, you find you are unable to reply in a helpful or tactful way, then please refrain from doing so. To reply aggressively to a new member only reflects badly on yourself, and the Pets.ca community, and does nothing to help an animal in distress.

mihoko, many members here are against declawing (and, something members would do well to remember, many learned the information on declawing after thier own beloved pets were declawed). Here is some information for you--
http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm
http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
If you do a search for declawing, you will find many, many threads dealing with this issue, which is where the above information came from. The information above is only to help determine what may be going on with your pet, as most of us realize that nothing was done with malicious intent, and that your concern is for the well being of your pet.

In the meantime, please let us know how the visit with the vet goes.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM

it's been about 4 months sence he's been declawed...and again he used to belong to my roomate...i took over cause he would never take care of the poor thing.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
If you are able to tactfully reply with advice, please do.
Duly noted. Allow me to rephrase: Any vet that will declaw a cat without first explaining to the cat owner what it entails (mutilation of the cat's feet), the complications that can arise (a lifetime of pain, litter box aversion, biting, depression, etc), and providing alternative suggestions such as training the cat, providing scratching posts, using Soft Paws, etc, is not a vet with the cat's best interest in mind. Top that with the indifferent attitude of this vet, and it would be a really really good idea to find a new one that actually cares.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Catlover2

Apart from possible pain from the declawing, this may be the reason he doesn't play as much. A red flag for me is you say he "drinks a lot of water". This could be result of an all dry diet----any canned food is better than dry. But he should visit the vet as he may have some other medical condition that is not making him feel well and depressed---kidney problem, diabetes, hypothyroidism are some that come to my mind. The vet should do a complete blood workup and urinalysis. Also "sleeping all the time" is not normal behaviour for a 10 mo. old cat.
Do let us know what the outcome is. Hope everything goes well and you'll give us an update
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Kitty pimp

i agree thats not normal if the the vet cant find a problem try another vet
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

When did he start acting this way? Has it been fairly recently or has it been a gradual thing? I would think he needs to go back to the vet, either the one he has or another one, for a complete Wellness checkup. Including blood work and urinalysis.
I recently had to have one of my sweeties pts at less than three years old after trying unsuccessfully to get him healthy again. he had liver issues that may have been ok had I got him to the vet a little earlier. I implore you to find a vet and have this done. You do not want to have to go through the pain I have gone/am going through.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; June 30th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Mihoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihoko View Post
[B]hi,
I have a cat that's about 10 months old, and he used to belong to my roomate. I have noticed that sence he has been fixed and declawed he hasn't been himself anymore....he barely eats, he weighs 6 pounds now, and my 6 month old cat weighs more. It's not often he wants to play anymore with us. And he has no interest in my two other cats....now before the vet he used to play with my cat all the time they loved eachother....but all he does now is sleeps.....i'm thinking depression but he does still play wen he feels like it and he always wants affection from me....the reason he is now mine is cause he seems to be more interested in me than anyone els. He stays in my room all the time wen i'm not home and if i'm sitting in the living room he will come find me there and than go straight back to sleep....now i have tryed changing the food to see if he would like it and i always end up with the same results...he picks at it. He also drinks alot of water. he also been after his ears alot but the last time we brought him in the vet said he didn't have ear mites. so i don't know if that plays a factore to his problem. But i am verry concerned about him... the last thing i need is to wake up and him not breathing i have another appointment for him in 3 days. but the vet didn't sound to convincing wen i was talking to her over the phone.

any segestion on what it could be...maybe i'll be able to bring it up to the vet wen i bring him in. (sorry for the spelling)
Cats are extraordinaly smart. This sweet girl seeks out smart. My guess is she draws sustaining life from you.

Mihoko ... you do know you are interchanging she and he???
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Catlover2

mihoko, Any update on your cat? Did you take him to the vet?