Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Smile Hello from Michigan!

Hi-My name is Sherry and I am the proud momma of a 90lb.-8mos old male rottie! I thought joining this forum might help me to better understand why my "puppy" does some of the things he does!! Hope to talk to some of you soon!! HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Welcome Dukes Mom!!
You will enjoy your stay and learn tons of stuff here.
And we DEMAND pics please.... but take your time...... really, take your time....... Later today????????
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Remembering Lukka

Hi Sherry, welcome to pets.ca
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
The Bully Clan

Welcome Sherry

I myself am a new person to the board.
Love to see photos of your Rottie
I show against this lady here in VA that shows her Rottie that is from overseas who still has it tail. It is crazy to see but also a very nice change

Look forward to chatting with you

Deb
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me! I will post a picture as soon as I can figure out how! I did adjust the size - but didn't help! Said "upload failed" - whatever that means! Can anyone help me out? I am going to need any advice I can get on training! I live in a very small town and don't have alot of options for obedience training - a class starts up in Feb - in a town about 45 miles away. I will be signing him up but need some assistance until then - my biggest problem is that he likes to bite ate my hands and feet - he's just playing but i can't get him to stop! I'm fairly sure he doesn't look at me as the "boss" even though I do everything for him - I am trying but doesn't seem to be working. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Remembering Lukka

Sherry to help you get back in the drivers seat and attain an alpha level with Duke google up some NILIF sites and follow what they advise. It will make having a dog more enjoyable if you let him know where he stands in the family order. Takes time but will be worth it.
For photo's on this site go to www.photobucket.com and join up. No cost to you. Once you upload your pics to photobucket just click on the IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards line of the photo and you want to add here and paste it in the reply section. It will come up as a photo once you hit submit reply. I think you can add six or seven to a post if you do it that way. So much easier than doing it the attachment way.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks - I will try it! I was wondering how can I attach dukes picture beside my name like you did with Lukka?? By the way BEAUTIFUL dog - what kind??
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM

Test to see if i figured it out!

Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes Mom View Post
Thanks - I will try it! I was wondering how can I attach dukes picture beside my name like you did with Lukka?? By the way BEAUTIFUL dog - what kind??
Thanks for the kind remarks about Lukka. She read it and it made her blush
She is a Caucasian Ovcharka
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Remembering Lukka

Yep.....you figured it out
Duke is a very handsome fella
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Very cute dog! Welcome!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Thank you - i think he is handsome as well - just want him to behave well also! He has a stubborn streak in him that i can't seem to get around! One minute he listens to me great and the next he's staring at me barking (talking)! He's just very bossy! I have crated him from day 1 - no problem there. He likes to sleep with me - no problems. He sits, lays down and rolls over on command -we are working on stay and coming when called from outside! He knows the commands - just chooses not to listen all the time!! I just know that i need HELP!!!! I will do the google thing! I hope you don't mind any questions i might have - because after reading the info on your dog breed - you must know your stuff!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Very cute dog! Welcome!
Thank you very much - you all seem so very nice! I was nervous about joining because i did this once before (other type of form) and the people were not very nice!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Remembering Lukka

Everyone here is very nice and will welcome all your questions. We have several members who know all the in's and out's of dog training and I hope you find the answers to your problem area's with Duke
Don't be affraid to jump into any thread and post, we have an off topic thread as well and would love for you to join in.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Dukes mom! Welcome to the board.

Duke is a handsome dude. Glad you figured out the picture posting thing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Half Way To Crazy

welcome to the pack....... hum I mean the forum dukes mom.....
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Sherry to help you get back in the drivers seat and attain an alpha level with Duke google up some NILIF sites and follow what they advise. It will make having a dog more enjoyable if you let him know where he stands in the family order. Takes time but will be worth it.
For photo's on this site go to www.photobucket.com and join up. No cost to you. Once you upload your pics to photobucket just click on the IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards line of the photo and you want to add here and paste it in the reply section. It will come up as a photo once you hit submit reply. I think you can add six or seven to a post if you do it that way. So much easier than doing it the attachment way.
Hmm, where do you find the IMG code? I've figured out how to get the pics into the photobucket and resize and save to a pets.ca folder where I download from afterwards, but if there is an easier way ...

Quote:
Thank you very much - you all seem so very nice! I was nervous about joining because i did this once before (other type of form) and the people were not very nice!
We're nice, I promise! If we do insult someone, 1) it's usually someone we've known on herre for a little while, 2) we add a or or something, or 3) it's totally NOT intentional and in advance if I should say something misunderstandable (we also make up new words sometimes).

Welcome to some addicitve fun on this forum!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca Duke is one handsome boy.

We try really hard to be nice to the newbies but love to joke around with each other once we get to know ya. And, we can get a little crazy at times. Hope you enjoy it here.
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you - i think he is handsome as well - just want him to behave well also! He has a stubborn streak in him that i can't seem to get around! One minute he listens to me great and the next he's staring at me barking (talking)! He's just very bossy! I have crated him from day 1 - no problem there. He likes to sleep with me - no problems. He sits, lays down and rolls over on command -we are working on stay and coming when called from outside! He knows the commands - just chooses not to listen all the time!! I just know that i need HELP!!!! I will do the google thing! I hope you don't mind any questions i might have - because after reading the info on your dog breed - you must know your stuff!
He isn't stubborn - just an independant thinker! And a beautiful boy, I might add.

Too bad you don't live close enough to a larger city for a lovely dog training class. You might want to ask your vet if he knows anyone who trains dogs.

You really should try NILIF, as mentioned by another poster. It isn't difficult, just a theory that asking your dog to do something for you before you do something for him. Like, sitting patiently at the door before going out.

As for the not coming when called - try going to your local feed store and getting a lunge line (for a horse). Depending on the length you get - your boy will be able to go out, play, do his business with you holding the other end. When you tell him to come, if you need to "reel him in" you will be able to. Remember - every time you say "Duke, Come." and he doesn't, you are reinforcing the fact that he doesn't have to come.
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

Hi

I can't believe how many other animal lovers there are. All my friends think I'm crazy for loving my guys as much as I do.
It's great to meet you.