Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Raw feeding for weight loss

I have a 4 years old spayed female sheltie. She has been on raw now for about 4 months. I was hoping it would help her lose weight but so far she hasnt. She is not obese but maybe 5 lbs overweight. Other than that she is healthy. Does anyone have any ideas for weight loss on raw?
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Swift Tribe

you could try fasting for ONE day or cutting back on portions??

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I've only recently gotten into the RAW feeding, so I dont know how much help I am, but how much are you feeding her?
Maybe feed some smaller portions??
I definitely feel like I'm CONSTANTLY changing how much i feed Patrón because he keeps going through growth spurts! I know how frustrating it can be!
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the input. I am going to buy a scale today, so that I make sure she is getting the right amount. I'm gonna give her 2 % of her weight and see if that helps Up to now I have just been eyeballing it. She usually gets a potrtion of RMB a day, usually chicken carcasses, turkey wings, or pork riblets. Then I add in vegge mix, and alternate whole eggs, yogurt, muscle meat, and salmon. One thing I was thinking was to add some pumpkin which might help fill her up.

Thanks!
Miranda
Tulip Roxy
Alaska and Sencha
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM

To me, I feel like I go by trial and error. Since Patrón is still sooo much a puppy he needs the extra push, but then again, sometimes I look at him and notice he's getting...."healthy" lol. So I cut him back... poor baby is really my experiment...
But YAY for you going Raw!
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipRoxy View Post
Thanks for the input. I am going to buy a scale today, so that I make sure she is getting the right amount. I'm gonna give her 2 % of her weight and see if that helps Up to now I have just been eyeballing it. She usually gets a potrtion of RMB a day, usually chicken carcasses, turkey wings, or pork riblets. Then I add in vegge mix, and alternate whole eggs, yogurt, muscle meat, and salmon. One thing I was thinking was to add some pumpkin which might help fill her up.
You might want to see what amount you're feeding now, then, if it's not an huge reduction (because loosing weight really fast isn't good), go to 2% of her ideal body weight, or, gradually go down to that.

How much of her meals are veggies? If it's a significant % I would be hesitant to add even more veggie in the form of pumpkin.

Are you feeding organs as well?
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
You might want to see what amount you're feeding now, then, if it's not an huge reduction (because loosing weight really fast isn't good), go to 2% of her ideal body weight, or, gradually go down to that.

How much of her meals are veggies? If it's a significant % I would be hesitant to add even more veggie in the form of pumpkin.

Are you feeding organs as well?
She gets maybe 1/2 cup of vege mix a day. Some days I skip it. I add in liver about 1-2 times a week.

Thanks for your help!
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

You might want to add a bit more variety in the organ department. Kidney and heart are usually the easiest to get your hands on.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
You might want to add a bit more variety in the organ department. Kidney and heart are usually the easiest to get your hands on.
Well I usually just add liver because heart is technically a muscle meat and liver is more nutritionally dense than kidney, but I get what you mean by variety. Ill try adding those in as well.
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Just an update. I bought a scale and Tulip have been getting 2 % of her weight or 11 oz a day, plus more exercise and she has definately lost a bit. Her ribs are easier to feel as well as her backbone. I'm happy
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM

That's fantastic! We have a similiar weight problem with our Leia. We originally had her at the 3% feeding rate. Then we bumped it down to 2%; then 1%. The 1% was really on the low side and she was so hungry. What we ended up doing (recommended by our vet) was give her the 2% ratio and then add a tablespoon of pumpkin or 2 as it is very filling. 100% pure pumpkin. And it seems to be doing the trick. She is slowly losing weight. We tried everything, but this combined with longer walks seems to have done the trick.

We had to be careful with getting the right amount of pumpkin. Too much gave her really soft stools. Also with the adding of the offal. Too much gave her diaherria.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Wow, you're lucky to have a vet that supports you feeding raw and actually gives you advice! I never tried adding the pumpkin, but its something I might still try. She has definately been more active, though. We recently got another dog, a sheltie mix, who is only a year, so they play constantly. The new dog needs much more exercise, we walk a couple hours a day, and so It think thats really helped.
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Yes!!! It took us a LONG time to find this vet. She is the most amazing and wonderful vet I've ever met. We have had 2 other vets that really supported the raw feeding too. One is retiring and the other vet....his office did not support it as much. They were very hypocritcal there.

Try the pumpkin. Its done amazing things for us. We were at the vet the other day and Leia has dropped 2 lbs. She has another 2 or 3 to go!!! She was really happy that she is losing gradually. Just like people you dont' want to drop it too fast .... its unhealthy.

Good Luck!
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Wow thats great! Way to go Leia! I havent been keeping a record of how much weight Tulip has lost because I haven't had to take her to vet, she's too healthy! lol But, I can tell by feeling her ribs, her Body Condition Score is maybe a 3.5/5 now. Maybe 2 or 3 pounds more to go!

I'll pick up some pumpkin next time I'm at the store and give it a try.
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Keep us posted!
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM

We give our dogs 2% of their body weight. The scale helps out so much. We do feed them twice a day, in the morning then in the evening. We also followed others advice and fast once a week, which we have been doing for almost a year and our dogs weight have been the same everytime we go to the vet. That, along with excercise has helped them keep their weight down.

"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." ~Winston Churchill
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM

So at Thanksgiving I got a HUGE pumpkin, roasted it and pureed it, and froze in in ice cube trays. I think I have enough for a year! I have been giving Tulip a couple of tablespoons a day, and I'm happy to say she is almost down to her ideal weight. The only thing is Roxy likes the pumpkin to so she tries to get into Tulips bowl when Tulip is eating her RMB's! lol
Old November 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Oh thats wonderful news!!! Its truly amazing how well it works. You were smart I should have bought a huge pumpkin instead of canned. Next year I will for sure
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca