Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM
-

Unhappy Sam to the emergency

Nothing life threatening. But when I came back this afternoon, Sam ran in the house and bumped his paw on something , I didn't see. But I saw a bit of blood. I cleaned his paw , didn't see anything wrong , put flour on it to stop the bleeding. Wrapped his paw and put a doggy boot. I was waiting tomorrow morning to go to my vet. Later he went outside , lost the doggy boot , came back inside and there I found his whole nail. By 9:30 it was bleeding like I never seen a paw bleed. So off to the emergency we went. He left puddles of blood all over the clinic (and my house and car) It broke from inside and he lost the nail AND the "elbow" (small bone that holds the nail) After they finished with him , I heard a vet tech say : wow , looks like we just had the Texas chainsaw massacre in here.

So now : has to be confine for the next 2 weeks, no jumping,walking , no nothing. Antibiotics for the next week. And I had a choice to leave him there until tomorrow evening or bring him home and not go to work tomorrow as I would have to check up on the bleeding. Can't touch the bandage for the next 24 hours . But if it bleeds to much I have to change it. So yes , I will be home tomorrow. My poor Sam. :sad:
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM

aww poor Sam & you

didn't they mention any reason why this might happen? just hitting his foot on something sounds very minor to cause all that

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Nothing life threatening. But when I came back this afternoon, Sam ran in the house and bumped his paw on something , I didn't see. But I saw a bit of blood. I cleaned his paw , didn't see anything wrong , put flour on it to stop the bleeding. Wrapped his paw and put a doggy boot. I was waiting tomorrow morning to go to my vet. Later he went outside , lost the doggy boot , came back inside and there I found his whole nail. By 9:30 it was bleeding like I never seen a paw bleed. So off to the emergency we went. He left puddles of blood all over the clinic (and my house and car) It broke from inside and he lost the nail AND the "elbow" (small bone that holds the nail) After they finished with him , I heard a vet tech say : wow , looks like we just had the Texas chainsaw massacre in here.

So now : has to be confine for the next 2 weeks, no jumping,walking , no nothing. Antibiotics for the next week. And I had a choice to leave him there until tomorrow evening or bring him home and not go to work tomorrow as I would have to check up on the bleeding. Can't touch the bandage for the next 24 hours . But if it bleeds to much I have to change it. So yes , I will be home tomorrow. My poor Sam. :sad:
thank god it was not a life threatning issue...poor baby....just suck him up....he will love the attention
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Papa D

now i'm gone
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Addicted to puppy

Frenchy, I am so sorry about Sam! Ouch! Give him kisses for me

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:53 AM
-

Frenchy I'm so sorry ~ that's AWFUL.

And so unusual. I guess the vet didn't have any thoughts as to why he also lost the bone.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
And so unusual. I guess the vet didn't have any thoughts as to why he also lost the bone.
It's just our bad luck , story of my life but I do have a ceramic step from the dining room to the kitchen and it does have a metal moulding. I do hurt my toes on it sometimes. I guess Sam didn't lift his paw high enough. They did a full body check up on him , they said he had lost a lot of blood. :sad:
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy View Post
Frenchy, I am so sorry about Sam! Ouch! Give him kisses for me
He did get lots of kisses from me at the clinic. I had to walk to the back with him , he didn't want to go with the vet tech , kept turning around to look at me , vet tech told me he looked very attached to me , of course ! He's my baby! And we help ourselves to the cookies on the counter while I was paying $$$$ I hate emergency clinics
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM
cat slave

awww poor Sam
hugs to him
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:03 AM
-

Maybe he caught the nail tip in between the molding and the cermic tile. Perhaps the molding has lifted a little in places ~ might be worth a check. If it has, you can hammer it back in gently with a thick towel folded up laid over the molding.

Ya ~ I know your luck. I have a touch of it myself.
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
-

Quote:
you can hammer it back in gently
Right now I will keep away from hammers.
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:28 AM

good idea @ least until you don't have the urge to smash the stair

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
good idea @ least until you don't have the urge to smash the stair
In the condition my house is in , I would smash more than a stair and with my luck , would hurt myself in the process

At least one good news : Sam has lost 10 pounds ! (I hope it's not because all the blood he lost :sad

I know he will be allright, but the cost of that visit , and all the after care (has to be taking outside on a leash for minimum walk) and if I have to change the bandage tomorrow and he has to wear a cone for the next week and the pills and getting him confine to one room and what if I take out the bandage tomorrow and it starts to bleed again .... I'm having a doggy burn out. And I'm suppose to take care of my new foster :sad:
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM

Good that Sam has shed () a few lbs, maybe he wanted some special attention suchas Bailey w/the eyelid sx

Did they not suture or cauterized the wound? {hmm though maybe not in hopes the nail will regrow} bleeding hopefully will be minimal as long as he is not too bouncy - lucky he's an older boy

Trying to look on the bright side: it will give you an extra day to familiarize the new foster to the house, the dogs & the cats
Plus not being @ work worrying about Sam all day is good

for a great day tomorrow no problems

Old September 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Poor Frenchy. Nothing bleeds like those nails for sure. I hope you have a good day off with Sam today.

Cindy
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Rottie owner and lover

How is sam today, has the bleeding stopped. Just out of curiosity, since the whole nail is gone, did they offer to do an xray, to make sure nothing was fractured as well.
I went through that whole scary ordeal with Harley, I know how you are feeling. But I am glad for him it is only 2 weeks instead of 2 months.
Kisses to Sam from Auntie Karen....
I will see what I can do, Maybe I can pop by sometime this evening to help you relieve the stress.
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I saw this the tittle to this thread and my heart went into my mouth, was scared of opening it. but I did anyway

Poor Sam and You to have to go through this.. I am glad he will be ok and that it is nothing serious....
do you ever wonder why is it that injured nails bleed sooooo much?? even when you clip nails and you miss there is blood everywher
I am sure Sam will love the attation he will get today, and you can rest for a much needed day off..

Big hugs and kisses from me to Sam and you..

Old September 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Frenchy- sorry to hear about Sam. They don't suture it because it has to heal from the inside out. if they did it would most likely cause infection. My Cagney had a swimming injury with her pad. She must have jammed a toenail between rocks and doing so she damaged the toe ligament. That toenail won't sit like it should. Its longer and points upward. She didn't loose the toenail. I wish sometimes she had because it gets caught on everything!!!!
Poor Sam and you-- when bleeding occurs with your own dog it is very stressful.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
-

I had a hell of a night :sad: At 3 am I was doing laundry and cleaning the carpet in my bedroom, who was full of blood , my bed too. He was confine to my bedroom, the bandage filled out with blood very quickly , the carpet had all these bloody paw prints , and then , while I was preparing the crate to put him into it , he jumped on my bed ..... I really tought about going back to the emergency , but I was freaking out too much , couldn't drive the 40 kms to get there. So I put lots of towells and blanckets in the crate. Went to bed at 4 , woke up every hour and checked on him, got up at 7. Change the bandage , the bleeding is much better this morning, but it still bleeding. Fed him and he is now in the bathroom. :sad: In the mean time I do have to take care of my new foster , an older guy who has problem getting up and do stairs ... he is couching a bit this morning , plese pray that it's not kennel cough !!! He is very sweet tough.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

for you, frenchy, Sam and your new foster. Sounds like you have your hands full.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Deep breaths, Frenchy.

Sometimes it seems like sh** all happens at once, doesn't it? Good that Sam isn't bleeding quite so hard this morning.

If you are still having trouble getting blood out, the best thing I've ever found is called Simple Solution. It's a urine deodorizer--we stocked up on it when we started getting puppies. Turns out it's dynamite for taking out blood stains, too! It's a product put out by The Bramton Company... Works on dried blood, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
-

Jeepers Frenchy, coughing too? Better check your back in the mirror for a "Kick Me" sign huh? Things can only get better kiddo ~ and we all know that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train!

Just a suggestion, if you have any liver in the house, Sam might appreciate a little iron boost having lost all that blood.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
cat slave

omg Frenchy if my pet my bleeding i'd be really queezy not being able to control my self enough to change bandages. You're doing so well!

I hope Sam recovers fast
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
~Cat Servent~

Poor Sam and poor you Frenchy!!! :sad: What a night! I hope the bleeding stops soon, and that your foster just has a little tickle in his throat and no kennel cough!

When it rains it pours, so they say....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Sam! He must really have whacked himself good. I'm glad it's not life threatening though.

I know that can be very frightening. But you can both relax now.

Sam needs some extra doggy treats.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Poor Sam. I know when I had bad bleeding bouts from different accidents (I'm super clumbsy), I've used ice or ice water to get the bleeding to stop. I had to get stitches each time, (hubby made me go, I wouldn't have), but the time I sliced my arm, I just kept it in ice water for 15 or 20 minutes and the bleeding stopped. My forehead (hit myself in the head with a 2X4) , I really did that, that gash was really bad and I put a bag of ice on it for 20 minutes and the bleeding stopped. Stayed stopped for 5 hours before hubby came home from work and made me go get stitches.....I had told him I'd hurt myself and asked him to stop and pick up some bandaids on the way home....the look on his face when he saw that gash was too funny

Cindy
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Poor Sam and poor you Frenchy!!! :sad: What a night! I hope the bleeding stops soon, and that your foster just has a little tickle in his throat and no kennel cough!

When it rains it pours, so they say....
DId I ever stick my foot in my mouth for that wonderful statement.... I was off to the emergency myself with Fagan not 20 minutes later!!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Live well, laugh often

Awww poor Sam :sad:.

Hugs to you and Sam and I'm hoping better things are gonna happen for you soon Frenchy .
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
-

Quote:
Better check your back in the mirror for a "Kick Me" sign huh?
Nope , I checked , nothing on my back. I know what it is . It's a voodoo thing. Someone put a curse on me years ago how can someone hate me so much ? Me ? I'm adorable !

Hazel , a vet tech I know told me to use peroxyde to get the blood stains out of the carpets , it worked in my car too !
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
DId I ever stick my foot in my mouth for that wonderful statement.... I was off to the emergency myself with Fagan not 20 minutes later!!!!
oh no ! :sad: