Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:10 PM

addding to request

I have a german shepherd/lab he seems like he might have had a stoke as some people seem to believe is this possible? he is 14 yrs/old he vomitted last night and is very weak and dizzy he refuses to eat can anyone help me ?
Old August 23rd, 2003, 06:25 PM

Strokes in dogs

First off strokes are possible in dogs though they aren't that common.

They happen when blood vessels in the brain rupture and are usually caused by blood clots and are obviously EXTREMELY serious and life threatening.

This dog needs a vet (WHATEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO HIM)ASAP.

Strokes are diagnosed by catscans or MRI and drugs are usually given to control brain swelling and seizures.

Depending on where in the brain the stroke happened, and the damage it caused, the outlook for the dog will differ.

hope this helps

Homer
Old August 23rd, 2003, 06:56 PM

not quit sure what exactly happened ...he woke up at about 1:30ish thursday night went to my living room and threw up..then went to hide when i woke up and realized what happened shortly after he was scared and disoriantated could stand up and walk good back end was and still is dragging behind hard for him to stand...it has been 2 days now and he still has problems walking .I did pick up some dog food in a jar and he seems to be eating only that right now(which is better then nothing).Before thursday night Duke never even looked like a grown dog he has been active for years and people think he still is a pup but now he looks so very old laying around and afraid to get up..

thanks hommer for caring i realy appreciate it..I know i have to go to the vet ...but some just want money and test after test after test i will be finacialy broke..i am a single mother of 2 children they grew up with this dog and are devistated...