Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Found a hungry kitten...

Opened the front door and she just walked right in. She's probably about 6 months - definitely not full grown. We've got her in the bathroom with a blanket and a bowl of water. She's already wiped out a can of fancy feast and a can of friskies. How much should we give her? We'll take her to the vet on Monday and get her checked out - not sure if we'll keep her. She's a pretty little thing and I think she'd be adopted. Anyway, how much food? I don't want her to eat herself sick but she's obviously been hungry for a long time.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know the can size but even if it's the very tiny ones that's enough food till several hours later. Offer small amounts every 2 or 3 hours. She might indeed eat herself sick.

I'm sure you just didn't mention, but you have kitty litter in there too?

And no milk, good. Lots of cats can tolerate milk just fine but some can't and no sense taking a chance with a hungry kitty you just met. I have a feeling you know this so just for anyone else reading who may not know.

She's got to be a wandering pet, I think, to just walk in like that and be so friendly. No lost notices up around you? She might not have been gone long enough for her owners to get them up. Hopefully she's micro chipped.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Ooh, microchip. I'd forgotten - good point. We're going to poll the neighbors today. Definitely a lost pet - she's declawed. Not sure what I'll say to the owner when I find them - "I really hope this was an accident and you'll be more careful in the future because a declawed cat should NEVER go outside!" Of course, I don't let my clawed cats out but that's just me... On top of that, there's a cat with feline leukemia in the neighborhood - he's not out often but the owner DOES let him out occasionally. I know, I know... She says she's spoiling him because of the diagnosis but she's putting all the other cats in the neighborhood at risk - the ones allowed out anyway...

In any case, hopefully we'll find this little girl's home quickly.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM

An yes, we went out and picked up a disposable litter pan for her. :-)
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
Ooh, microchip. I'd forgotten - good point. We're going to poll the neighbors today. Definitely a lost pet - she's declawed. Not sure what I'll say to the owner when I find them - "I really hope this was an accident and you'll be more careful in the future because a declawed cat should NEVER go outside!" Of course, I don't let my clawed cats out but that's just me... On top of that, there's a cat with feline leukemia in the neighborhood - he's not out often but the owner DOES let him out occasionally. I know, I know... She says she's spoiling him because of the diagnosis but she's putting all the other cats in the neighborhood at risk - the ones allowed out anyway...

In any case, hopefully we'll find this little girl's home quickly.
I would not let your cats near the kitten it could have parasites and be ill. You should feed it small meals b/c you do not know how long it been since the kitten had eaten and put a little water out at first so it will not drink too much at once. Poor kitty , it' s lucky to be alive having no claws . That should be illegal .
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks' so much for taking the little soul in and looking after her.
And hope that her owners can be found.