Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Question about Top-Soil.

We bought soil in the yellow bag,from Hamilton Sod and are going to put much more soil in my flower-gardens.
My question is,in covering the shoots coming up,with at least 2 inches of soil,would that harm them??
Dumb question,I know,but I have never done that before
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
banned user

No it won't hurt them at all...we always add a layer of mulch this time of year and the stuff grows right up thru...but then again so do the weeds.....
We used to when we were in town cover our lawn with mushroom compost about an inch all over and the grass was the best on the street...now with 4 acres we don't want it to grow.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
We used to when we were in town cover our lawn with mushroom compost about an inch all over and the grass was the best on the street...now with 4 acres we don't want it to grow.
I've never heard of mushroom compost , sounds great.

I know the feeling of not wanting the grass to grow to quickly.

chico, there are some plants that are sensitive to having too much soil on top of them, I think peonies are one, but in general as long as you don't pack the soil down hard you should be OK.

14+ Kitties will know for sure.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Peonies are definitely not sensitive to being buried--when we did our back garden, we put up a garden wall of two railroad ties and filled it with soil--right on top of some peonies. Those lil blighters are still coming up! One of the few plants that not even hazel seems to kill! There are some plants, though, like irises, that prefer their tubers to be close to the surface... I know there are others I've...ahem....eliminated accidently by burying them, but I can't remember which ones... There have been so many!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Peonies are definitely not sensitive to being buried--when we did our back garden, we put up a garden wall of two railroad ties and filled it with soil--right on top of some peonies. :
Well maybe they were different peonies that I bought, I was told by the nursery where I bought mine from that they won't flower if I plant them too deep.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You might just have to give them a little time--ours came up but didn't bloom the first couple of years. That third year, though--holy catz!!! Glorious!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

We just put a lot of good top soil down today with a lot of crap mixed in. We prepped the flowers in the fall so it went quick today.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

Personally, I think putting more top soil over the shoots, will encourage them to grow better. The soil will give them more nutrients to build their shoots and roots which will make the plants stronger.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is it just top soil or does it have other soils in it chico? If it's just top soil I would be tempted to add about 1/3 the volume again of a lighter soil (peat moss, vermiculite mix). That way the soil is lighter and you won't have to worry about harming the tender shoots. Even if some broke off I'm sure they would grow again. If I remember correctly most of your plants are very resilient anyway.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you everone,like 14+ says,I think my plants are quiet hardy and most of them are years old.
The soil we get is usually very good,no junk in it just black soil.
I don't think I have any tubers.
I usually mix the soil with peatmoss in my planters,not to have it get too heavy,I'll get some.
We also bought a huge bag of natural mulch,to try to keep the weeds back,we'll see.
First I have to pull the weeds that are there now,if my back allows it
Lots of work,but I cannot wait to get out there,luckily hubs loves it too.
I have 2 Peones,who have been here since we bought the house,which is at least 34 yrs ago,they just keep coming back..probably will survive a couple of inches of soil and mulch.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Pile away I don't think it hurts at all. Speaking of railway ties hazelrunpack, if I were to make use mine sitting in a pile doing nothing I was thinking of using around a garden, does one have to dig a trench or just put in on top of the grass? Me too I know nothing about gardening. I do have very tough peonies, nothing hurts them.
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well maybe they were different peonies that I bought, I was told by the nursery where I bought mine from that they won't flower if I plant them too deep.
TRUE. Paeonies are quite particular about their depth of planting. Many things are. A general rule is you should plant at the same depth as it is already in the pot. Paeonies are fussier than most. Iris are another good example.

A heavy thick layer of topsoil may indeed impact some of your young shoots. Another general rule is you mix the soil in with the existing soil. When topping with soil or mulch or manure, particularly manure, a general rule is you do not let the stuff touch the plant stems for fear of retaining heat around them and causing burning. Very black soil might be quite acidic.

Rules are general because they don't always apply in every situation but for plants I'm not sure of I follow those rules. Good luck. Soon you will be suppling us with paeonie pics? Maybe not so soon, supposed to snow here today.