Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Whats wrong wiith her?

Ever since June 24 (St-Jean Baptiste day), we knew to keep her in that day and just take her for short walks because our street was going to be packed and they were going to be fireworks. Then a few days later at night time during her walk some kids had set off some fireworks, freaked Raven out.
Then Canada Day....yep more fireworks. There is consruction going on across the street but thats been going on since the winter, but now when just before we reach that building she freezes and wants to turn to go back home.
Today hubby tells me now she doesnt even wants to step out of our building door!! He did managed to sweet talk to her...lol...but kept freezing in her steps. Then he would talk to her some more to get to her peeing spot.
After that she wants to come back home. During these weeks her walk is always pully and panting, sound like were choking her!!!
Hubby said this happened last year and she'll over come it again, I dont recall it being this bad.

What do you guys think is wrong with my girl?
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It is fear related she is noise sensitive and worried the noise is going to occur again, just need to be patience and take things in baby steps traveling a little further each time.

Sometimes audio tapes can be used to help desensitize start by play at extremely low volume and gradually increase the volumeas you not the comfort level improves. I have used this method for thunder phobics some it helps with, others react to changes in ozone and light effects as well so not as effective
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
-

Is her hearing oversensitive ? While I agree with OG on desensitization techniques for animals who are fearful maybe ear/ hearing protection devices might be more useful if it's actually her hearing.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Is her hearing oversensitive ? While I agree with OG on desensitization techniques for animals who are fearful maybe ear/ hearing protection devices might be more useful if it's actually her hearing.
It must be, because right NOW as we speak hubby just came in and told me
there is fireworks going off across the lake, I cant hear them.
she must have really good hearing.
Now she is by my feet panting away shaking
my entire computer desk.
My poor girl!!
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab

Last edited by sjat24; July 14th, 2007 at 10:15 PM.