Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Mast Cell Tumor

After my mother died, I took her female dachshund. That was two years go. Recently I had her at vet's because of bleeding (apparently from anus). Turned out to be anal gland problem. Heidi is 9 years old.

During anal gland problem I brought to their attention a hanging thing between her hind legs. Biopsy designated "mast cell tumor". Hanging thing had been there for over 6 months that I know of.

She had surgery for removal of the cancerous tumor last Wednesday, and is recovering well. However, I have not yet received the pathology report of what stage the tumor is/was in.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of tumor either in a dachshund or any other breed of dog?

Also, they gave me one of the "collars" to put over her head so that she can't get at the stitches. Being such a small (and low to the ground dog), I can't get it on her. She does lick the area, but I can't see that she is "getting at the stitches".

Any help, suggestions, comments, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Anne
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just keep an eye on her those collars are more useless and traumatizing then any good

As for tumours in dachshund's maybe you can send an email to some doxi rescues and see if they can give you any advise. I'm sure they have lots of experience. Also you can try sending emails to breeders, some don't mind sharing their information. I've done this before with a pointer that I fostered and they were quite willing to help out.

Wish you luck and keep us posted.
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Luba, thanks for responding. I got the pathology report today and even though it was a Stage II tumor, the vet assured me that all is well and that the surgery is the curative!

As to the collar, I'm not using it and she is not doing anything other than licking a bit at the surgery site.

Again, thanks.
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad to hear Heidi is ok.

Just one thing,please be careful of the licking.If she licks that spot to much,an infection can set in.Just keep an eye on it.Make sure there is no redness,bleeding or swelling.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Good news! Your mom must be smiling on you, to know that her beloved pet is being so well cared for!
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Mona, thank you for caring. I am watching the wound. There is some swelling but surgery went into one leg muscle. Stitches are to be out next Wednesday.

Thank you for caring.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So glad to hear some positiveness coming from this situation.

Please keep us all updated
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Your very welcome annie.

I do care.And you will notice I am no different then the rest on here.

We all care about animals on here.And are willing to help any way we can

As LR said,your mom must be smiling on you.Knowing her beloved Heidi is in good hands.

And thank you for taking Heidi.
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:53 AM
banned user

I agree Heidi sounds like she is in good hands! Keep up the great work and Give Heidi a hug from us!
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:11 PM

An update on Heidi to all of you who were so kind. She went back to vet today --- had been throwing up and not eating, and looked like she was not feeling well. Long story short, she is dehydrated, has high liver and kidney counts. I had to move her today from Vet to 24/7 animal hospital. They will continue to rehyrdrate her and also perform a test to see if she has Addison's Disease. I took her to vet at 9 a.m. and over to 24/7 about 3:00. (She was looking a bit better when I transferred her.

Please pray for her recovery; she is a sweet, loving dog and 9 is still to young to "go".

As you can imagine, my elation on learning that the mast cell tumor was OK, has been downplayed by this new turn of events.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM

To all of you who were so kind in your concern about Heidi. She is at a 24/7 animal hospital right now. She has been throwing up, not eating and looking really bad for the past couple of days. Took her to my vet this a.m. They started rehydration (and because they are closed on weekends), I picked her up and took her to the 24/7 facility, at their suggestion.

They are gong to do a test for Addison's Disease and continue to rehydrate her.

Please keep her (and me) in your prayers. She is just not doing well right now. Her surgery recovery was going so well and I was so elated to learn no cancer. Now I'm down.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Keeping all digits crossed that sweet little Heidi will be okay!!
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm praying that all will be well. I'm so glad you took her to the 24/7 where she will get round the clock care.

It's so very hard at this time...I've been through it myself. Make sure she has something from home like a teddy and a blanket to lay on and something with your scent on it like a worn tshirt or some stinky socks. It makes the trauma less stressful knowing your scent is near to them.

Please please keep us updated.

I'm sure they'll suggest an ultrasound there, if not PUSH for it ASAP like by Monday.
Old February 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM

My Heidi died yesterday.

I called about 9:00 last evening to check on her and was told she had gone into cardiac arrest and they were not able to resusitate her. I don't know all the details as I was so shocked and upset at the news, but apparently she had fluid in her lungs and a heart problem. None of these issues had been apparent prior to her surgery.

As you can imagine, I am heart broken. I loved her so much and she loved me with all her heart and soul.

Anne