Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 5th, 2001, 05:36 PM

Question Looking for a baby bulldog

Hello, this is my first post. I'm looking for a bulldog puppy and would appreciate any referrals to reputable breeders in the Southern Ontario area.

My husband and I have decided that a bulldog would be ideal for us. We recently tried to get one at a pet store, and did buy a lovely, friendly, adorable little guy. We named him Hrothgar and he was 3.5 months old. However, he was sick when we got him, we had to rush him to a doggy hospital three days later, and he died of pneumonia a couple days after that. We were/are heartbroken. We know now that we were just lucky to give him our love and attention for a short time, and there wasn't anything we could have done to help him. We didn't know enough when we bought him - I'm almost glad we didn't, because we wouldn't have brought him home from a pet store if we had known, and despite everything, I'm glad that we did have him. However, I'll never buy a pet from a store again, and yet we would very much like to have a little bulldog baby to love. We are much better informed now, and will probably be very over-protective, paranoid parents, who bring our little puppy to the vet whenever he/she sneezes.

If anyone knows of a breeder who has a puppy available, I'd very much appreciate your letting me know.
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:57 PM

EmilyE,

Although I don't know your pain personally, I would advise you to not purchase an english bulldog in a pet store, or any dog for that matter. I know you will probably notice on these boards that many people shun away from pet stores, because who knows where they get their pets from. It could be puppy mills, irresponsible breeders who can't sell off their dogs. I'm glad to see you won't be buying from a store again!

Try to look for a breeder that can offer you a health guarantee, papers if you want them, but also if they breed by reservation, meaning they don't have a litter until they have enough buyers to take the dogs. And don't be shocked at what you'll have to pay, bulldog females (or bitches, but I HATE that term for them!!!) are often sterile, or give birth to stillborn puppies. Again, that could be something you could look at, if they have a bitch that hasn't produced live puppies, but nothing else is wrong with her, they may offer her to you at a reduced price because in reality, to a breeder, she would be no good to them.
My husband's family currently has a british bulldog, and they are worth every penny, but you have to do a lot of research to find a good breeder. Your best bet would be to start either with a club for the breed where a breeder might be registered. there are a few in Ontario, I only know because I was looking over the internet a few months ago, but I'm not sure exactly where they are located.

Sorry if I'm no help at all, and I am sorry for the loss of your puppy, that must have been very hard.

Ruffy
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:00 PM

http://www.doggies.com/Bulldog/Ontario

And once again, I answer my own post. I have found a website where they list ontario bulldog breeders. I didn't take an extensive look, but it's a place to start!

Good luck!

Ruffy
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for your painful experience. I'm going to assume for this discussion that since you bought a bulldog at a pet store that you know nothing about them.

This is a breed riddled with health problems, which makes them very expensive to buy from breeders. They usually need C-sections to give birth. For a good pet quality dog from a reputable, responsible breeder, you are looking at a price tag of at least 2000.00$

Are you going to be able to handle the expense of any other problems that may come up with this breed?

Ruffntumble gives good advice - you need to know that any dogs a breeder is using are titled, checked and cleared of all health problems and genetic defects that plague this breed.

There is also a Bulldog rescue network - you might want to contact them and see if they can help you.

In Ontario and Quebec contact Gail Neilson at 905-868-9940 or email C.Neilson
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I am so sorry. We hear pet shop puppy horror stories all the time.

Here's a link LR posted, refer carefully to it when you are looking for a breeder:
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

So very true about the bulldogs and the problems health wise.I have watched a show about them.She was a breeder and showed them.She lost counless litters.They just don't carry pups very well.And she had to bring her female in for c-sections.It was very heart breaking for her.She did manage to get 3 pups.Please don't ever get one from a pet store.Are you sure this is the breed you want?There is a great book you should get.It's called Dogs Annuel.They have all the registered breeders for all breeds.There is a section about puppies,training,health care.It also had a section showing the show dogs.I suggest maybe picking one up.It is an amazing book/magazine.You can learn so much in it.
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Pet store dogs come from puppy mills, go read my posting about them in the General section.

Why do you feel this breed is good for you? How did you research this? Like the others say they do have a lot of health problems.

Maybe if you tell us all about your lifestyle and how you live, house / apt / yard / fenced in or not etc... if the dog will be alone for extended times. Perhaps we can give you suggestions on breeds or types.

There are a lot of wonderful rescue organizations. I would much rather you support them then the puppy mills! Continuing to buy from pet stores supports them and their evil ways.

This is what their living conditions are like before they arrive at the pet store. Did you get your money back?

Notice the dead pup in the tire.

http://www.therathole.org/critters/millpics.html
Attached Images

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:24 AM
Chocolate

WHY do ppl do this? WHY??!!!

(Timmy couldn't even look @ these pix!)
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
WHY do ppl do this? WHY??!!!
The an$wer i$ very $imple - $$$$

As long as people are willing to go to pet shops and pay 1500$ for a genetic, sick mess of a puppy, this despicable business will thrive.

If people would educate themselves and make the decision NOT to support and condone puppy mills this would do the trick.

Suppy and demand - like any other business.
Old December 31st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Heartbreaking pictures, LR.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Chocolate

to stoop to such low lengths??

booooo