Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 29th, 2005, 11:29 PM

Question mini dashun bleeding out of vaginal

I have a mini dashun and she has been spotting blood out her vagina for a couple of weeks at first I thought it was because she was in heat. but now I am starting to worry that she might be pregnat she is 10 months
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:42 PM

That is way too young for her to be having puppies. Please bring this dog to the vet for care. If you read the "welcome" email, you'll see that we're VERY pro-spay/neuter.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:42 PM
-

Some dogs will only spot for the first few days and others will spot almost all the way through their heat cycle.
What makes you think she may be pregnant, and is there a reason why you haven't had her fixed before now?
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

You can take care of the bleeding and possible accidental pregnancies (and the worries about uterine/ovarian/mammary cancers and pyometra) by having her spayed right now.
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Please take your pup to the vet. If pregnant, please have vet abort the pregnancy. My experience with blood with my darling Dachshund was with a boy - peeing blood - he had bladder stones. So maybe something to check out as well. As a rule of thumb, when in doubt with a mini Dachshund please take to vet. A limping front paw can be just that or a sign of neck disc disease which will require surgery. If you haven't already suggest you resarch Dachshund disc disease Stages I and II - particularly check out Stage II - symptoms due not present the same way. Please report back on how your pup is - so many members with Dachshunds ask a question and they don't come back with diagnosis and I can't stand it. Also find out name of best pet neurologist in town just in case. Don't mean to scare you, just that well - way too much experience in my case.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
-

It is good that you have mentioned possible back issues. A pregnancy at this age may heighten these possibilities.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Stacey. Definitely a pregnancy could heighten back issues. Often the back problems don't present until dog is about 2 - but according to neuro my first doll should never have walked, never mind walked the bars of the exam room at the vet's, climbed the baby gate, moved chairs over to assist him in reaching the cupboards. He was 13 months when he had his first event.