Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM

Unhappy Is My Cat Senile?

Is my cat going crazy?

She's 18 years old and pretty much deaf, but other than that, she's in great health (according to the vet).

The problem is this, she cries ALOT! Basically, whenever she can't see myself or my husband she wails...and it's really loud (our neighbours in the apartment downstairs can hear her)!!! All we have to do is let her know where we are and she'll stop.

Most nights we'll be woken up by the sounds of her cries, and forget about sleeping late on the weekends! She'll usually start crying at 6am.

I feel like I've tried everything. I leave food and water in her room for the night; her litterbox is in the same room; the heat in the room isn't a problem cause she sleeps on a bed with a mattress warmer; she has her toys and blankets with her; I've tried leaving the light on and turning it off and it doesn't make a difference; my Mom even suggested putting a ticking clock next to her when she sleeps and even that doesn't work! It doesn't matter if she's in the same room as us or in a different room, it's still the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and what we can do about it? These sleepless nights are getting to us!!
Old October 23rd, 2001, 05:44 PM

kitty whinning

I have seen this in older cats (my parents is around the same age), and the explanation that i have been told for this is that they are feeling abandoned and want reassurance of someone being there. Often a scratch behind the ear or any kind of recognition is enough to satisfy there whinning.