Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:40 PM
banned user

Herbal alternative for "Rescue Remedy"? Anyone?

What do you recommend for people who can't get "Rescue Remedy" for pets with severe seperation anxiety? I am wondering if there is an herbal alternative, as I can get herbal supplements and tonics, but not the R. Remedy itself.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:46 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
What do you recommend for people who can't get "Rescue Remedy" for pets with severe seperation anxiety? I am wondering if there is an herbal alternative, as I can get herbal supplements and tonics, but not the R. Remedy itself.

What a great question, sorry I can't help but I will be sure to come back and read to find the answer. How old are pups when it starts with seperation anxiety?
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM
banned user

I'm afraid I can't help you, either lol. Sorry, I've never had a puppy! I know that dogs that have never had it can get it after being in a shelter or other bad situations. Sometimes it is considered a characteristic of the breed itself.
Wish I could tell you more, Goldenblaze.
I'm sure others will post with more info.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:23 PM

Rescue Remedy is a Bach Flower remedy. It is basically a herbal remedy. They take certain flower essences and distill them in alcohol. I use it all the time in my profession, works wonders for calming, for fear and anxiety. I have one client who wants us to use it on the cat's paws when she(my client) is in labour.
I know that there are homeopathics for animals, but I don't know if they are the same as for humans.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:25 PM

Aconite is a homeopathic for acute fear. Hmm, I am going to check into this one.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried looking in health stores for the RR?
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:35 PM

Found some info!

FURTHER HOMOEOPATHICS FOR DOGS & CATS
ACONITE 6c

For acute and sudden fear (e.g.. of traffic or travelling), shock and fright, emotional and physical tension, acute, early stages of fever, excitability (causing continuous barking), anxiety - and for cats who are restless and cry when being transported. Aconite is a great fever remedy, which is indicated by a sudden rise in temperature. Almost always associated with fear, Aconite is an excellent remedy for the first aid box.

http://www.faithfulfriends.co.uk/med...tsanddogs.html

So it is the same as for humans! (at least according to these guys)
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:19 AM
banned user

Freyja, you're my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! I'm headed for that link as soon as I'm done writing this.
What line of work are you in? And why would the lady in labor put R. Remedy on her cat's paws?

No, I can't find Rescue Remedy anywhere, but my pharmacist says he'll order some, IF he can.

He said it was for people, but I've seen it recommended here numerous times for pets with seperation anxiety. I'm assuming there isn't a seperate blend for pets?

Aconite! I'm going to call my herb lady in the morning and see if I can get some of that!
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:55 AM

I am a midwife and the woman is afraid of the animals being stressed when she is in labour so the RR is to help calm them. We use it for moms (and dads!!) in the last stages of labour to help calm fears. We also use it on babies too, we put it on their foreheads after they are born if they seem a bit shocked or stressed.
I wouldn't look to the pharmacist for RR, try a health food store or a whole foods store that sells natural supplements.
Old August 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

When we first got Brick he had a bit of S.A so our pet store recommended this stuff called "Lickables - Travel ease" - it has chamomile, st. john's wort and valerian in it. It was for boarding, grooming, separation and shows. It is all natural ingredients and it worked well, especially when we were going anywhere in the car! The only thing was you had to give it to the dog an hour before you were requiring it.

We don't use it anymore as Brick is much more relaxed now and actually likes the car!! LOL He likes it even more when we hide a bully stick in his blanket in the back seat!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM
banned user

I though RR was taken orally? Or is it only absorbed through the skin, therefore you put it on the baby's forehead and cat's paws?

I think I've seen "Travel Ease" at our petstore! Another great recommendation! THANK YOU

My pharmacist is an angel and has ordered many many herbal supplements for me. He knows how I am about synthetic chemicals. He once got me something called "Relax U" for the summer insomnia I get- worked great. I believe there was valerian root and a few other roots in there. I wonder if the herbal sleep-aids are the same as the anti-anxiety? At any rate, I'm going to the pet store on Monday and I'm going to hunt down that "Travel Ease". Wouldn't hurt to have it on hand. My herb-lady is out of town again

P.S- If anyone knows of certain herbs causing adverse reactions in Danes, PLEASE don't hesitate to post!

Last edited by Cactus Flower; August 21st, 2004 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added P.S
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM

RR can be taken orally but you generally put it under the tongue so it is absorbed by the mucous membranes and is more effective than having to be absorbed through the GI tract. For babies and animals it is recommended to put it on the skin because of the alcohol content.
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:51 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
Rescue Remedy is a Bach Flower remedy. It is basically a herbal remedy. They take certain flower essences and distill them in alcohol. I use it all the time in my profession, works wonders for calming, for fear and anxiety. I have one client who wants us to use it on the cat's paws when she(my client) is in labour.
I know that there are homeopathics for animals, but I don't know if they are the same as for humans.

Would this be the same thing that my groomer offers for pets that are really really scared when they go to the spa?
I don't let her give it to Jordie, he is really easy for her to groom. He has been with her for all his life and my mom's two girls go the same day as Jordie I joke and call it their day at the spa.
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:57 PM

www.bachcentre.com

This is the Bach website, lots of info