Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old March 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
-

Thanks Frenchy

My new "birdie" was eating bird seed from the floor a few nights ago....the first time I had seen one close up

Totally : You'll notice the old farm fence that we have....Iggy all legs and 85lbs can wheedle himself through that to take off out back when he wants
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I wish we had those here............
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw....gotta love those furry birds! You can keep the teeth, though! 'possums have lots of sharp teeth!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Doggie Wench

Hazel, neat shot of the Eagle and Geese .

Melinda, just love that close-up of the turkeys. Their feathering is absolutely gorgeous...like a work of art .

Chris, your opossum is quite the little helper cleaning up after those messy birds .

I have a question...Storks...have you guys ever seen any?

And another....Cardinals...do they tend to hang around the same place all the time? Every morning I see one in the same couple of trees next to the house. All alone and high up. I managed this video this morning of Penny and the Cardinal exchanging calls . Penny cheated using her Cuz but I thought it was pretty neat . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEI5F...eature=channel

I saw a handful of what I think are Chickadees this morning too. They were at the suet feeder briefly. I hung up homemade stale bread/peanutbutter/birdseed thingies on branches and they seemed to like those much better. They were too fast to take pics of though . When I got home from work this evening, all the food I put out was gone . I'm going to try again tomorrow to get some pics .

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  42.4 KB

Oh oh, and I saw Canada Geese flying way overhead this morning too. It's not too early? What if it snows again ?

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  73.6 KB
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Senior Contributor

lucky penny, some geese stay all winter, our two pair that nest next door near the creek don't bother leaving, could be because about 23 miles down the road is the bird sanctuary where they feed them daily all year.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As long as they can find open water, and sometimes even if they can't, the geese will stick around, LP! They're very hardy. I saw a few flocks headed north yesterday, and our lakes are still ice-covered (for another few days, anyway.)

Are you sure what you saw were storks and not cranes? I heard some sandhill cranes this morning--they nest back in some of the semi-wetland clearnings in the woods.

That cardinal clip is funny! He's actually distracted for a moment by Penny's squeaking!!! Most birds will stake out a territory for nesting--and if the male bird sticks with the female for raising the brood, he'll often sing from a preferred perch or tree when he's declaring that territory. So, yes, they'll stick around that spot (the nest is or will be close by) and you'll hear him singing all spring, and probably again in fall as the young-of-the-year males start passing through as the broods disperse.

I love your bread invention! What a great way to use up old bread!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As long as they can find open water, and sometimes even if they can't, the geese will stick around, LP! They're very hardy.
Phew .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Are you sure what you saw were storks and not cranes?
No, I didn't see any Storks . Was just curious if anyone has. I only saw them in Eastern Europe when I was a young girl and suddenly thought of them yesterday morning. Going to have to google if they're found in N.America too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
When I got home from work this evening, all the food I put out was gone .
I was expecting to see hoards of birds today considering all the food that was eaten yesterday...I don't know why I was so surprised to see this . I counted 6 others (one black one) dancing around in celebration of the buffet.
Attached Images

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

More furry birds!

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Hi guys, i have a question about birds pecking at the window. I have a cardinal that comes to my livingroom window and pecks and then flys the full height of the window as if he is trying to get in. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how I can stop him. This is his second year and the reason I am trying to stop him is that my 12 year old golden acutually has an anxiety attack.

All help appreciated.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Likely, he's seeing his reflection and treating it as a rival male. Once the breeding season is over, he may stop on his own, but meanwhile, is there something you can hang on the outside of the window that will break up the reflection? Hmmmm....if it's just one window, could you cover it with an old sheet or towel? The problem is that you'll have to put whatever you decide on on the outside of the window cuz if he's seeing his reflection, the light is bouncing off it so that he can't see through the window.

I suppose if the window isn't too close to a feeder, you could try mounting a plastic owl near the window to try to deter him. Or get one of those rubber snakes and put it along the outside sill if there is one. Just remember to move the owl or snake periodically to keep it 'fresh' and convince the cardinal that they're real

Old March 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
-

Those treats are pure heaven for a squirell LP, that little guy is wondering how he can take to whole thing

I saw Grackles at the feeders the other day, it's acomin'....Pepe said he saw a Robin in town, he could be teasing me though
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

No grackles here yet....

We still only have one robin He sings his medley of hits solo every morning.

Of course, considering what the Pack's playtime is doing to my hearing, I maybe just can't hear any others cuz they're more than 50 ft away

Old March 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
-

Try and sneak out on the Pack when they are sleeping Hazel....I know, one of them is always sleeping with one eye open to give the signal when the HRM is trying to be sneaky
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ha!! They can still hear...no chance of sneaking out on them! The barking is really taking a toll on my hearing, though--I've resorted to having ear plugs handy all the time. sigh

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Some March birds--if you have trouble with them, Chris, let me know!

First up this month is close-up of a male downy woodpecker:
Name:  Woodpecker study 3-23-10.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  44.2 KB

Followed closely by a Mama Purple Finch.
Name:  Mama purple finch 3-23-10.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  71.5 KB

I thought this was Mama Purple Finch, too, but looking at it closer, it looks more like a Mama House Finch--House Finches are fairly common in WI these days, though not usually around here, but we do get a few of them coming through in spring. So this one could be either a Purple or a House Finch Mama

Name:  Mama purple finch 3-15-10.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 28th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

In fall I noticed one disheveled junco hanging around with the goldfinches. It was obviously not feeling well and missed moving out with its flock when they migrated. We kept it well fed and it recovered, showing up every day at the feeders for sustenance and even visiting the bird bath now and then for a sip or two of water. About mid-March, I suddenly noticed that he had company. The juncos are moving north...

Name:  Junco 3-23-10 B.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  Junco 3-23-10 A.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  46.4 KB

This one seems to be smiling, so I'm believin' this is my little buddy

Name:  Smiling junco 3-23-10.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  59.1 KB

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few more juncos hanging out in the sumac:

Name:  Junco 3-23-10 C.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  Junco 3-23-10 D.jpg
Size:  39.3 KB

And a cryptic crow flying along CF in Eau Claire County. (I just threw him in here cuz the pic follows the same gray motif as the junco shots do )

Name:  Crow 3-13-10.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  52.7 KB

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Not only the juncos are on the move--the little brown birds are showing up in droves. The fox sparrows showed up this week...

Name:  Fox sparrow 3-23-10 A.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Fox sparrow 3-23-10 C.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  Fox sparrow 3-23-10 B.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

...as did the American tree sparrows.

Name:  Tree sparrow 3-23-10 B.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  Tree sparrow 3-23-10.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  Tree sparrow 3-23-10 C.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  68.1 KB

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

As always, the white-breasted nuthatches put on a good show.
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch in sumac 3-23-10.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  41.9 KB

I'm not sure if they're using this cavity in the oak as a food cache or if they intend to nest in there, but they sure are spending a lot of time checking it out, lately.

Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 3-15-10 A downsize.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 3-15-10 B downsize.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  47.7 KB

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 29th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, my helper for the month...not someone you might be expecting

Name:  Red squirrel 3-23-10 B.jpg
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Red squirrel 3-23-10 A.jpg
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  Hello.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  36.3 KB

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Live well, laugh often

Awww, that furry friends face is adorable Hazel . There are some amazing pictures in this thread .

I saw these guys last week up at whistler on a portion of the lake not still frozen. I was quite surprised to see Cdn Geese hanging out with the swans .

Name:  swans.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  71.3 KB

and back in the big city I was thrilled to notice the gorgeous bright yellow goldfinches at my feeder this week .... spring is officially here .

AND .... I heard my first hummingbirds buzzing around on a walk with Riley so I put the feeder out today .
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hummingbirds already!!! I have at least another month to wait till they make it back up here. But I'm ready--already stocking up on sugar.

I see Canada Geese with the Tundra Swans, too, Teri--even some Sandhill Cranes with them. Often the Tundra Swans gather in a farm field along Hwy 12 where the water pools in spring. This year, though, it's been so dry that there were only a handful there when I went by last Friday.

Old March 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and the woodcock are peenting! Two of them! And from the frequency of the flights, they're actually attracting some females!!!

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad I decided to check out this thread. I skipped from page 5 to this page to see how many, but I'll go back later and finish reading it. It's so interesting seeing down here we have no snow, squirrels, wild turkeys etc.. I am a bird watcher too, I've seen over 100 different bird species in this immediate vicinity. Sadly I haven't a decent camera- photography hasn't become the obsession that horse, dogs and gardening were. One day .....
Anyway, you certainly have some lovely birds and it's nice to see you all looking after them in your bitterly cold winters. 10 out of 10.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM
-

Very sharp photos as usual Hazel

The wing and tail feathers on the Nuthatch show so clearly.....the pic of her/him and the Oak cavity are a bit large for me to see the real pic on my tiny screen

Teri Hummingbirds already, we don't usually see/hear them until May

Goldfields if you manage to snag a camera from someone, I sure would appreciate seeing some birds from down under........btw...I have an Aunt and Cousin who live in Australia, do you know them
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooops....sorry Chris--I noticed one of the finch pics was too big and resized it, but the nuthatch pics didn't register. When I come back after the Pack comes in, I'll do the nuthatches, too.

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post

Goldfields if you manage to snag a camera from someone, I sure would appreciate seeing some birds from down under........btw...I have an Aunt and Cousin who live in Australia, do you know them
Yeah, we're neighbors. What State do they live in?

I have a camera but not a fancy one. I can get close ups only, like this Long Billed Corella, and not many birds allow you to get that close. These are very destructive birds and locally it's got to the stage where I think farmers either have, or might be given permission to shoot these.
Attached Images

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Just got back from a walk by the river saw lots of ducks and geese but the bird I got pictures of was a red wing black bird.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM

A couple more....
And a sparrow just because.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Last edited by ownedbycats; March 29th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.