Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 5th, 2012, 11:58 PM

3 month old puppy

Over the past month we have grown very fond of our new Female Rottweiler puppy "Kiba". 2 days ago I found her standing on all 4's shaking her head violently and frothing at the mouth. I immediately took her to the vet. Kiba's situation seems to have the vets looking everywhere for answers. All the blood tests were normal and they say she is too young to have epilepsy. She is having 4 or 5 of these reactions per day and they are remaining the same mainly lasting under 30 seconds and with her being "out of it" for a while. 2000 dollars later we have not come to any conclusions and I am worried about her. I do not want my first month with her to be the last. I even brought her my slipper to keep with her in the kennel at the Vet even though I used to take it away from her 3 times per day. Today we had a CT scan done and they noticed that her left middle ear canal was not visible. You could see the end of the canal near the brain and the start near the ear but nothing connecting the 2. The Vets say they have never seen this before in this manner. There is over 50 yrs combined experience between them and I know they are working hard to figure this out.

Has anyone had experiences with a dog missing part of the ear canal or ear related issued causing multiple seizures? I say seizure but i'm not 100% sure that's what it is because I have watched 50 plus videos of dogs having seizures and none of them look like what she is doing.

Thank you for reading my story. I'm just very concerned for my little girl and sometimes the more people that know the better the chance of getting her back to being home with us.
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:10 AM

I wonder if the middle ear canal is not missing just completely closed?

Some info on inflammation of the middle/inner ears in dogs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/otitis-...ogs/page1.aspx

This is human based but same principles apply http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/L...Ear-Tubes.html

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the Link. She started on anti inflammatories last night but I am not going to waste much time and will get a surgeon to look at her today if the canal doesn't become visible. She definitely has an issue in her ear. I just praying that its also the cause of the seizures and that we are on the right track to curing her
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the anti-inflammatories work, Kiba2011. There's nothing worse than that helpless feeling when there's something wrong and no one can find the answer Please keep us posted on her progress.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

What a scary experience both for you and your Rottie. I hope that the Vets can figure this out quickly and help. patti
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Welcome to the board Kiba2011. I'm sorry about your puppy.

From what you described, it could certainly be a seizure. My dog, Keely, has epilepsy and she has had various different seizure types. Some are the "full body shake," whereas her first few were mostly head shaking, biting the air, and foaming at the mouth. She started having her seizures at three months old, as well, and the vets gave us similar information in saying that it is most likely not epilepsy because epilepsy usually presents itself after the dog is one year old. However, after dozens of tests and an MRI, the vets are fairly confident that it is some sort of epilepsy. Even though epilepsy is basically just seizures with no obvious other cause.

I hope that your dog has something that is fixable. I truly know how stressful this whole process can be, from the seizures to the questions to the vet bills. If you have any seizure-related questions, I may be able to help.

Good luck & many prayers for you and your pup.
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:35 PM

Kiba is at home now. she has had no seizures in over 30 hours. The anti inflammatory medicine seems to be working. I will be bringing her back on Tuesday to discuss surgical options to fix the left ear problem. I will be looking into a tube to keep the left ear canal open but only when she is seizure free for a few days. The vets tell me dogs that seizure can have a poor reaction to the anesthetic when they try to wake up from it.

She was still a bit rattled when she came home and didn't recognize my other dog.

Thank you to everyone that read and replied to my post.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM

I'm glad that Kiba is starting to feel better on the anti inflammatories. I hope that tube can help fix the ear canal issue as well. With our dog, whenever she has had to be put under for surgery, they have given her diazepam (valium) at the same time to make sure that she doesn't seize while under anesthetic. Maybe your vets will do something similar. Good luck with everything!
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad the seizing has stopped at least. I hope the vet can give you some good options on Tuesday!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM

for Tuesday

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hope you get some good answers on Tuesday.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)