Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM

neutered male cats

This is probably a stupid question, but I've never had a male cat who's been fixed.

Is the story about male cats becoming completely lazy - and as a result getting fairly fat - after being neutered a myth?

I'm assuming it most likely is, but just thought I'd let some of you with neutered cats tell me how they took it .
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A complete myth. If the cat becomes fat it is from the food it is eating and the exercise it's not getting. Feeding the cat a good quality canned or raw diet and eliminating the dry food all together goes a long way to ensure kitty doesn't get fat. Making sure the cat has some type of exercise every day is another. You can achieve that by playing with a laser light with him, dragging a string behind you so he chases after you, playing with interactive toys with him, etc.
Sometimes cats are big to start with. A larger frame can handle a bit more weight. My biggest boy weighs 14 pounds. He feels much heavier. My smallest one is 6.5 pounds with a very small frame, small feet.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

As 14+ said, yes that's a myth.

I've got two males who were both neutered at around 5-6 months and neither is fat nor lazy. Vlad is a very healthy 18 pounds. He's a big cat though, so he carries his weight well. Maks is a little smaller so he weighs around 11 pounds, and slightly longer and leaner looking.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Myth. It's more diet, exercise(lack of) personality and occasionally age rather than neutering that can make a cat fat. We have 2 neutered male cats, one of whom is a leash cat. They spend time chasing each other, wrestling and playing with us, and both are nicely muscled and not at all fat.(Although MooBoots fur makes him look bigger than he is)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I WISH my neutered male was more lazy! He tears around the house like a crazy little furball of destruction.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Myth. I have difficulty keeping weight on Jasper as well as my Snowball.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had many male cats,neutering is a must and no,they don't get lazy or fat.
I have one 18lb cat,he is overweight,but not because of neutering and he is on a diet
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Catlover2

Myth. Cats don't become fat and lazy because they're neutered. They become fat because of quality of food (too high in carbs), and amount they eat. I've had many cats over many years and never had an overweight one. I don't freefeed and am careful about amount they eat. Some cats are picky eaters and never overeat and then you have ones that are really piggy and eat everything they can.

You should only feel a light layer of fat over the ribs so that you can feel them and from overhead you should be able to see a waist when cat's standing. Cats vary in their activity....some breeds are more laid back like Persians, whereas most of the "oriental" breeds like Siamese, Abyssinians, Cornish Rex are very active. Domestics fall somewhere in between. Shorthairs are more active than longhairs who get hot faster while playing and reduce their activity sooner. As cats get into their very senior years in their late teens, most are not as active.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
chronically insane.

I have 8 male cats (not including my foster kitten Teddy) and all are neutered. I can assure you they are not fat or lazy. I actually prefer male cats over female cats.

It is normal for them to kind of level out after being neutered. They will fill out to their appropriate size and will calm down a bit (because male cats are often really into looking for a mate).

I do feel that female cats tend to get a tad bit chubbier once they are spayed in general. But, it really all depends on the cat. The benefits of spay/neuter really outweigh the minimal 'risk' that your cat might put on a pound or two.

My biggest male (adult) cat is about 15 pounds.. it's basically all cat and no fat. My smallest is about 8 pounds of lean muscle. And all my male cats are extremely playful

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009