Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Mickey, my angel

that your puppy has continued to improve.

Please give us an update when you get a chance.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Talking Benny Lives!

Benny has turned the corner, and is getting better now. He lost 2.7 of his 7.6 pounds, but he is now eating boiled chicken and rice, with a little yogurt, and has put back on a little weight, probably mostly fluid, but I'll take it. Everything is staying down, and we have been able to switch to oral antibiotics, so, no more shots, which makes us both happy!He is very peacefully sleeping on my lap, and spoiled beyond belief at this point! My camera is having technical difficulties, but here is the little guy. Thanks for all the
Attached Images

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
-

What a sweet little munchkin. Thanks for the update HP ~ I'll just bet he's spoiled ! Glad to hear he's on the mend.
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG what a cute.
You ROCK H.P.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay I am so glad, sounds like he is in the clear now .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so happy to hear he is doing so well. What an adorable boy he is.

Thanks for the update.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

What a little cuddle bug....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck H.P.. I had a 14 wk old ACD pup get Parvo way back when the first outbreak happened in Australia, and this was despite her having had her 6 week and 12 week vaccination. 3 days of trips to the vet, a further 3 days on a drip at the clinic, bur she was lucky, she recuperated quickly.This area did lose a lot of unvaccinated Greyhounds though.
Hope your poor pup is a lot better each day.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

H.P., that's a great update! And what an incredible cutie you have there!

Sending for a continued recovery!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

oh the poor little fart, I'm so glad all is going well now, good luck.
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Just thought I would add another update, Benny is doing well, and is no longer a foster, but an addition to my family. He is happy and healthy, well, he just got neutered, so maybe not so happy. , but curled up on the couch sleeping. I always wanted to try agility, so we are going to give it a try, just as a hobby. He weighs 11 pounds now!
Attached Images

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh he's a cutie!! You'd never know he was sick! He's got such big brown eyes!
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congratulations on the new cutie-patootie addition, H.P.!!! Benny is a doll! You did such a great job with him, getting him healthy again!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

H.P,I just finished reading the whole post and what a wonderful ending,the little guy is healthy and gets to stay in the home he knows and loves,a very,very happy ending,thank you
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Senior Contributor

wow, he looks great, happy and healthy, so glad he's a "failed" foster!!
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Clementine has Parvo...

Our little girl, Clementine, is a 10 week old Lab / Border Collie who was just diagnosed w/ parvo. As a 1st time dog owner, I wasn't even aware of this nasty 'plague' - shame on me...
All circumstances aside, both my Wife & I had a 'feeling' something was wrong the day we got her - she looked right through me & I made an emotional decision to take her. In retrospect, as hard as it is now, I am happy we took her as she would not have had a chance living where she was. I don't think she much of a chance right now, but at least she was loved for a few days & I am trying to remain positive & hopeful.
She is currently at the vet on IV, and fighting very hard.
She had her 1st bloody stool overnight, but has also shown positive signs - heart is in good shape so far, she is standing up, holding her head up & her eyes are much clearer then they have been...
Has anyone seen a puppy survive this horrible disease?
Any opinions on vet treatment vs. home? The thought of her being all alone there is killing me...
Thanks
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So sorry to hear about your puppy . Yes puppies can survive parvo, the key is proper vet care, which is sounds like she is getting.

I know it's hard to see her at the vet, but IMHO, it is the best place for her to be. The IV will keep her hydrated, which is so very important in the healing process.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes puppies and dogs can survive with proper vet care. Really, in the end, it is also the pup that must have a stronger immune system to assist him/her to fight. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

23 years ago we had a 4 month old beagle pup with parvo...we had the hospital treat her, back then chances were slim....we had her for almost 15 yrs.........
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info & well wishes - sincerely appreciated!
Just spoke w/ the vet & she has had recent episodes of blood in her stool, but also has not been vomiting & is showing positive signs in terms of her energy levels & alertness i.e, standing up and walking around her cage, etc...
Am not getting my hopes too high, but have my fingers crossed tighter then ever...
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Livedust,lot's of prayers and good vibes for your little pup,it is heartbreaking to leave any animal at the vet,but if that means he'll live a long healthy life with you,it's all worth it
Please keep us updated
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, definitely think positively! Treatment of parvo is still a dicey prospect, but the chances of survival and complete recovery are so much better than they used to be! And it sounds like she's doing well! Lots of good thoughts and prayers heading your way!
And yes, pls keep us updated on her progress!

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM

Clementine

Our little girl, Clementine, made it through the night & the vet told me this morning that she has passed the critical stage! That being said, she is not out of the woods, but her prospects look good!
She had zero bloody stool last night & minimal vomiting with no blood!
Our vet said that we caught it early & that it was not the mutated F-strain - thank God...
She was very happy to see us last night, she stood right up & wagged her tail & gave my daughter nose kisses!
I kept telling her how loved she is, how tough she is & how many frisbees she will be able to chase real soon! Not too mention antagonizing our 13 year old feline queen of the house - Luna!
This morning she was very groggy due to the drug that slows down vomiting, but her vitals are good, her heart is strong & she doesn't seem to be in pain.
Our vet, Dr. Benjamin Joseph, has been great throughout this ordeal.
He said he would be introducing water & food later this afternoon after her fog lifts a little. If she responds well, we may be able to take her home tomorrow & start home care!
Please keep up w/ the prayers & healing vibes, she needs them.
Thank you sincerely for your support folks, it is comforting to know that people care.
One more thought - I am doing an ozone (O3) shock in my house today (sans Luna of course!) to kill the residual virus. I have done much research over the last few days, & studies show that ozone destroys this virus as much, if not more effectively, then bleach. It also kills mold & other airborne bacteria too. Please keep this in mind if you or anyone you know needs to sanitize your homes in the future - hopefully not because of parvo - it is a hideous 'plague'...
thanks again!
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear this.
I am sure that you are aware as you have done alot of research, that the virus remains within 6 months. When she gets home, make sure that she is not in contact with any dogs during this time frame. Also, when you take her out, try to ensure she has her stools in the same place so that the virus does not spread to another animal. I would recommend ensuring that she does not do her waste where other dogs may sniff around.
I realize you cannot control everything, but at the same time it's good practice to try and spare any other animal this grief.
Even though an animal does get vaccinated against Parvo, this does not mean a dog cannot contract it regardless.
Best to you and your puppy. More good vibes coming your way..
Hang in there.
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Good news, I am so glad she is improving and also that you came into her life. Please follow BM's advice as she knows what she is talking about.

Please keep us posted on her progress. 's and going your way. Also, a for you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM

clementine

Thanks again for prayers, healing vibes & well wishes, very much appreciated!
Yes, I'm aware of the lasting abilities of the parvovirus outdoors, this virus is evil. Indoors, we have bleached all floors, surfaces, bottoms of shoes & fabrics that she came in touch with. As I mentioned earlier, I also did an ozone shock treatment on my main floor today and will be doing my basement & upstairs tomorrow & Friday. Knowing the properties of O3 quite well, I am very confident that I can destroy the virus indoors. This will mean a series of shock treatments in all areas over the next month as I am aware that we can still reintroduce it with our shoes & clothes. We will be extremely cautious w/ her & other pets over the next few months.
Have to go, work is done, going to see my girl!!!
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM

relapse

1 more thing - does anyone know about her chances of having a relapse?
Thanks again
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

well like I had stated, my beagle lived till she was almost 15 yrs old and back then they just said to wash her area etc , its more strident today and for a good reason!! I can't say as I've ever heard of a relapse. In one article I've read it says they are probably immune to parvo for life, let me see if I can find it.
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes a puppy can relapse but this is very rare and I have only heard of one case. Puppies that make a quick recovery, or so it seems, we get alittle overzealous with activity. Keep the puppy as calm as possible and limit the exercise until the vet gives a complete bill of health. They need the time to regain strength and build up their system.

Just a quick note to anyone who thinks their puppy or dog has the virus. There are many occasions where a dog will show all the signs, including the vomiting and bloody diarhhea. What I have noticed is false positives form worm infestations. Alot of vets do not consider that the signs and symptoms are due to the worms. Based on the positive parvo results they will assume it is parvo. Keep in mind, the treatment for this would be the same as it would be for parvo which is subcue fluids and other remedies. Also, a deworming but to be careful not to over de-worm as it can cause death as well.

There are false negatives and false positives. Ensure to ask the vet to check the fecal matter for any worms as well. Very important.