Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Info and reassuring needed on diabetes

Balou my 10 year old golden has been diagnosed with diabetes, we started the insulin yesterday morning, now all I have been doing since yesterday pm is sitting and watching every move he makes, I'm afraid to leave him alone, Balou was always a tad overweight, so the tremendous weight loss was a sign, I've been reading about diabetes, but part of my brain is having a hard time grasping things, is anyone experiencing diabetes with their dog?

Corinne
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww, sorry to hear about Balou's diagnosis. I have a cat with diabetes (6 years and going strong) so I know how overwhelming it can be when you first find out. It does get better! The good news is that it's a very treatable disease, and many pets live long, happy and healthy lives with the proper care. Here are a couple of websites worth checking out:
http://www.caninediabetes.org/
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Something to consider as you get more comfortable with injections, would be to test Balou's blood glucose yourself, at home. You can use any human glucometer from the pharmacy. This saves on vet bills, and also gives you peace of mind knowing that you can check his levels at any time. Plus then you'll know if it's safe to give insulin.

There is another member here, danam314, who's dog Koda is also diabetic. She might be able to give you some advice as well.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info, we started with a small amount of insulin twice a day, I think what bothers me is not knowing if it's enough!! after four days we raise the dosage, four days after that we raise again and so on, for sure the glucose test device would be fantastic, and would'nt have to pay 80$ for the test, Just need to know how and where to use it on Balou and know what I'm looking for...not knowing is killing me!!
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Hi coco. I would love to chat with you about canine diabetes. I have family in town this weekend but will be able to reply further hopefully this evening. I just didn't want to leave you hanging!!

In the meantime, breathe.... everything is going to be ok! If you haven't already, go to a drug store and get a human blood sugar meter. Even just the store brand no name one. It's going to be a big help to you, especially in the beginning.

I'll be back on when the in laws leave

to you and Balou
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Also...

Use his ear to test on. Don't even attempt to use the pen lancet thingy (you click it and it pokes the needle into the skin to get blood). It isn't strong enough for their skin. Instead use the lancet itself (not in the "pen" device) and scratch him on the inside of the ear. You can even take a razor (human Gillette, etc) and make a clear patch on his ear for this purpose, that's what I do. It's easier to test without the fur. To retest wet the scab with a wet (warm) paper towel and pick it off. Fold the ear in 1/2 with the scab/sore right on the fold and SQUEEZE HARD to get the blood out. Keep lots of GOOD treats handy and he wont even care what you are doing in his ear (chicken breast, cheese, etc). Don't pay $80 for the vet to test. If necessary, take the meter, lancet and strips in with you to the vet and get them to show you the best way to use it ONCE. Then you don't' have to go back for testing and can just call them with the numbers. That's what I do. What a saver!!

You wont always be testing all the time, don't' worry, I test once every few weeks now for my own curiosity.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM

PM sent, in case Coco didn't think to come back and check his/her post
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Actually, I did forget to check my post, I went straight to my message box, I've been stressed out for the past week with balou, and the 10 kittens haven't been thinking straight!!

So, this week i got to do the test on Balou, laid him down, his head on my lap, and took some blood in his gum, you have to know that this dog of mine is no ordinary dog, after each meal, he comes and puts his head between my knees for his insulin shot, then for the test I simply show him the tiny machine and he lies down...so that part is so easy...I was told that on the ear was not a good idea cause of the amount of blood vessels?? the scratching with the needle seems much easier, the vet wont allow any treats, and she is strict about it, 2 meals a day nothing more...I could do this, I know I can, the news was like being hit by a truck, never expected it, he was always healthy and strong...then again with the bad karma here, I'm not surprised...

Thanks you for taking the time, and looking forward to much more...
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Balou sounds like such a sweety! What a good boy. As for the treat thing, I understand why vets say that (especially regarding junky treats like Milk Bones and the like), but a small piece of fresh meat or one of the freeze-dried meat treats (like Halo Liv-a-Littles or Real Food Toppers or Benny Bully's) are really not going to effect Balou's blood sugar. I think he deserves a reward now and then. And so do you, so I hope you have some chocolate and/or wine handy!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Balou has an appointment with the vet tomorrow, I will definetly ask about the treats, I agree he deserves it!! As for myself, I treated myself to a Oh henry, or should I say I treated my hips!! This morning balou wasen't doing well his glucose count (don't really know if that,s the term to use) was high, and he had nausea, tonite he seems really better.
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Diabetic Pet Owner

Hi my pet is diabetic also, been diabetic now for 6+ yrs, I home test with a glucose meter, I use the tail method.