Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM

Older Cat issues?

I'm not a cat expert, but I think that something is wrong with my boyfriend's cat, and was curious if anyone could help me figure out what is wrong.
The cat is about 12-13 years old, I'm not exactly sure. In the past couple months, the cat has been indoors, it usually would stay outside for periods of time but now won't even leave the lower level. It lost quite a bit of weight, to the point where we could feel her spine and ribs, the cat was never fat, but I've never seen her that skinny.
She's been acting very strange, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.
She either own't get up from the bed, and urinate and eliminate there, or instead, will sit in the litter box for days. She's also been hiding in strange areas for days at a time, so we have to search for her. I also think she's been forgetting to eat, I put her down every day to give her food and water.
I'm not sure whats wrong with her, but my boyfriend refuses to believe anything is wrong, and I think it is because he's afraid to lose his cat.
Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

This cat needs to be at the vet yesterday. Everything you have said indicates health issues!!! Please get him/her to the vet asap!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonrose View Post
my boyfriend refuses to believe anything is wrong, and I think it is because he's afraid to lose his cat.
Tell him he IS going to lose his cat if he doesn't get her to the vet immediately. There is most assuredly something wrong with her, and it might very well be something easily treatable, but not if he lets it go on for any longer. There are a number of health conditions (hyperthyroidism, diabetes, renal insufficiency, etc) that older cats are prone to that do not necessarily equal a death sentence. However, if left untreated, they are. And it's not a pretty death.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Tags
help needed!, senior cat