Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Red face My little cake topper

As some of you know, I'm tying the knot in June.. and in case you didn't know - weddings are expensive!

I'm trying to do a few things differently at my wedding.. I don't really like cheesiness and such .. When I was shopping around for a cake topper, I found most of them to be pretty cheesy .. and expensive! If you want them to look like you, you're looking at prices between $100-$300!

So, originally, I asked my FH (future husband) to try and make one, because he's a very talented artist.. He made one, but it ended up looking cheesy (no offence honey!).. So I decided to try and make my own.. It only cost $10 for the clay, and the paint was FH's, so free!

There is still some touching up to do, and FH's body parts kept falling off when I tried to bake him So I have to fix it, but I'm kinda proud of my little guys, so I wanted to share..

Oh, and once "little FH's" body is put back together, I'll have them together and it'll (hopefully) look like they are giving each other a high five.. Either that, or they're both singing "Stop in the Name of Love"

here's "little me"

And here's "little FH" (I had to hold up his arm)

Thanks for looking! (Oh, and I'm NOT crafty at all, so that's why I'm extra proud of these little guys!)

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Master of the Drool!

Very nice!! I am by no means artsy. I love seeing different craft ideas
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i love it, it's original and special and really kinda cute.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's great and very original
My weddiing only cost us $60,but that's 250 yrs ago
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Aww, thanks guys!
Once they are done (read: little FH's glued back together), I'll try and take a pic of them together, so you get a sense of the 'high five' I was going for.

He sure went kicking and screaming into that oven.. He almost ended up just being a torso!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I think it's great and very original
My weddiing only cost us $60,but that's 250 yrs ago
$60? Wow! I'm trying to think of anything in my wedding that will cost that much, and I'm drawing a blank .. and feeling a little

Well, my cake will be free - my sister's making it!
She's never made a wedding cake before, so we'll see what happens - good thing I don't really like cake

I just hope it doesn't end up like some of the cakes on this site

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I LOVE them...they are cute and personal!! Love the High Fives too

Very nice keepsake you will have!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhh Phoozies

That is awesome & love it.

(my sis who just got married in Oct instead of cake did cupcakes)

6 different flavors & SOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy too.

They did there wedding cheap cheap (all the music was on a laptop connected to the speaker system at the hall)

most expensive thing was her dress $650.00 on ebay

If you need some ideas I would be happy to share the websites we used.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I love them , you did an excellent job for somebody who is not artsy.

DM that is a great idea about the laptop and speakers. I was at a huge barn party that did that. It was great because guests got to pick their songs.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

yup it was kinda

We had 1 major laptop crash & that was when I requested DH & My's song

LOL bad me but they got it basck up & running & it was all good.

Last edited by Diamondsmum; December 2nd, 2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Molly's mama

very cool, I like how you did "your" hair! I was married just over a year ago and can relate to the stress over costs and plans... you are right, weddings are expensive!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I like what you made.

Here's a topper for the cell phone addicts.

If yours doesn't work out you could always use something like this:

http://www.bridalxpress.com/servlet/...261/Categories

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Very cute!! Original and effective!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Oh, and once "little FH's" body is put back together, I'll have them together and it'll (hopefully) look like they are giving each other a high five.. Either that, or they're both singing "Stop in the Name of Love"

How original ! I love them. I would be tempted though, to cinch in the waist and add the extra clay to the chest area .
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
head in the clouds

MY sister had B from this collectin at her wedding!

funny topper
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I love it Phooz. Very creative, and personal....

Fill us in on the rest of your plans.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
~Cat Servent~

Aw they're cute.... and that site is hilarious!!! Did ya make it down to the Raiders of the Lost Arc cake.... that one is so cool!

We had a family friend make our cake, and it should be on that website too... not at all what I wanted, it looked pretty good, but the whole thing was iced styrofoam... I wanted the top and bottom real so we could take the top home and save it for a year and unfreeze it for the anniversary, and the bottom so we actually had something to cut.... instead we faked it and she made 3 sheet cakes for eating instead. And you know although I was slightly annoyed because I loooooove cake and sweets and that was kinda important to me, on that day I couldn't have cared less, I was having so much fun.
I found that I spent so much time before fussing, that by the time the day came I was so ready to just relax and let go... which is good, do the worrying before and then leave it at the door of the church/hall. Oh and the only thing I recommend to any bride is a two piece dress.... so much easier for potty breaks!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Well, FG, you might be sorry you asked

A good friend of mine did the ipod thing for her wedding too.. We would do that, but we're having karaoke, and while we tried to work out the logistics of doing it ourselves, we found everyone could have more fun if we didn't have to worry about it - so I found a guy who'll do it cheap

My dress was only $350 I got it on sale in the states, and I LOVE it! It's a one piece, though, and the bathrooms at my venue are SMALL - so I think I'm going to need some help .. plus once I start drinking, my bladder shrinks to the size of a peanut!

Let's see, what else.. I'm currently pricing out bottles of personalized hot sauce for the favors.. it'll be called something like 'hitchin' hot sauce' .. 'thanks for spicing up our day' .. etc.. we LOVE hot sauce, so it seems fitting.. Too bad I didn't account for the exchange rate to go back up..

We're doing the ceremony outside - at the same place as the reception.. so no limo required..

It's still going to cost some money, but I'm doing a bunch of stuff myself, so we're saving where we can..

dracko I saw all of those.. they made me laugh, I just wish they looked like they were put together a little better..

luckypenny working with clay is not as easy as you think! I tried to cinch in and pile up as much as I could..

Thanks for the compliments, guys, I'm so weirdly proud of myself.. and krdahmer, that site makes me laugh constantly.. I LOVE it

Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

not sorry I asked at all, Im a party planner thru and thru - love it, I dont do it for a living but I loved planning my wedding and throwing theme parites..I thrive on logistics and entertaining. So please, keep sharing...I think its great you are doing things yourself, makes it more personal and fun (and less expensive), people notice the small touches...

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I love the personal touches that make a wedding personal and unique. I can't wait to see your top after you paint the facial features.
Phoozles, thanks for that cakewreck site. I'm thinking of submitting the cake I made for my brother. It was a disaster when it happened, but just this last Thanksgiving we were all still laughing about it. I'm adding the link to show. There are a lot of good ideas in this old thread.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....r+wedding+cake

I know your wedding will be lovely and fun. It's all these personal touches that you put yourself into that really matter, not the cost! Just be sure to take lots of pictures because that's what you'll look at and remember with forty years down the road.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I like them. They're cute and original.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and a HUGE threadjack but.............

glasslass - Just wanted to say thank you for sharing that picture of your bro's cake!! It was amazing!!! Fantastic work! You have a great imagination. Also.....your stained glass is beyond beautiful! I have always wanted to try it but don't have the room at the moment. I content myself with doing the "fake" stained glass when I feel the need.

Thanks so much for re-sharing that!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
proud to be a cat slave

I don't think I'm going to paint the faces.. I kind of like them 'face' less

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

phooz - I like them faceless too.

What colors are you using for decorations/bride's maids, etc...

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
proud to be a cat slave

My main colours are red and black..

My dress (which I couldn't fully depict because my FH doesn't want to know anything about it ), is white with a big pick up skirt, and does have that red ribbon around the waist (I managed to sneak it on the topper by telling FH that I had to repair a crack - it seemed like he bought it ) I also got my shoes dyed the same colour as my sash - so they are apple red!

My matron of honour (she HATES being called that - it's my sister) will have a cocktail length strapless dress that's the same red as my sash .. she'll also have a black sash around her waist and a black 'cuff' on the top. (she also needs to take it in - she's been losing weight too! )

My other two bridesmaids will be wearing the opposite as my matron of honour - the same dress but black with red accents..

Our flowers will be gerbera daisies.. I'll have a bouquet of red ones, and the girls will be carrying white ones..

Not sure what the guys will look like - my FH is kind of ing me off because he won't go and pick them out.. he doesn't really want me to come because he wants it to be surprise for me too, but I have a feeling that if I don't go, it'll never get done! I think part of the reason is that he's been losing weight as well, but hasn't quite reached his goal yet, and doesn't want to try anything on.. I told him he could just pick out the suits without getting measured, but that fell on deaf ears..

My invites are really cool! I was going to make them myself, but I got a crazy good deal from a place in town, so I couldn't resist - they have a red cardstock background with a big red gerber daisy on top, and vellum on top of that with all the info.. hard to explain, but I like 'em..

And here's what I put for the RSVPs:

name__________

____ will be there with bells on!

____ won't be there - have heard people will be wearing bells.

I'm making my own table cards - we're having table 'names' instead of numbers (last summer I was a bridesmaid at one of my best friend's weddings.. they had a 'sweetheart' table - no head table, just a table for two - and ended up putting her bridesmaids at table 18 & 19! We were the last people to eat and our food was cold .. I thought that we deserved a little bit better than that).. I don't like the rankings of numbers (for just that reason), so we're doing phrases that have to do with us - Jake, Alley and Ethel will make an appearance of course and that way no one feels like they were at the bottom of the barrel

We're really splurging on the photographer, but in my opinion, it's the most important part - these are going to be the best memories we have..
You can check out his work here: www.capturingthelight.com .

I get to 'visit' my dress at xmas (my sister is storing it because, again, FH swears he'll peek at it if it's in the house ) so I'll try it on again, and maybe take a picture to show you guys

Old December 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Sounds so nice phooz!!! I LOVE RED!! (I used red/black/silver too!) I had a zebra print garter belt - black and white with a red lace bow, very saucey!! Red shoes for the recpetion, and my something blue was my toe nails.

Good idea on the tables!! Whats for dinner? Centre pieces?

I agree about the photographer...

Im a party junkie - so fill me in.

Old December 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I was just "fishing" - I like them faceless too! Your ideas sound neat!

Last edited by glasslass; December 4th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhh do keep it coming..

Phoozles my Sis's wedding was in Midland ON @ the Curling club.. her, my other sis & Maid of Honor & myself were driven to the curling club via A camper. Lol Downtown Midland people at the stop lights or on the street waving to us & yelling Congrats as you can see this bride throu the windows totally hick. curling club was 3km away. lol

And Due to us having 6 brothers my sister didnt know who to choose to walk her down asle.. So all 6 names were put into a Glass.. as name was picked sis gave bro a kiss & sent him on his way down asle.. last one standing.. was proud as can be walking baby sis of 10 (yup I said 10 kids down asle)

My Mum cried..

hi-jack over
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Ooh, something blue - the toenails! I love it! I was wondering what I was going to do with my toenails, and that's perfect!

My garter is red - to go with the theme, plus it was cheap

Dinner is grilled chicken.. I've eaten some of the food there, and it was very yummy, and I've talked to a few others who said that they had the same thing, and it was great! We've got alternatives for the veggie and vegans, but we're not bothering with a red meat or fish option (again, because it's cheaper this way) .. It's a three course sit down meal. We'll do the cake cutting later on in the night.

I think our centrepieces will be a medium sized bowl with a few large red gerbera daisies floating in them.. Not sure yet, but it sounds nice and not too obtrusive.

Oh, and the ceremony will be outside in the garden, and then we'll have a little tent and a bar set up outside for cocktails and such, which I won't be able to have because we'll be getting our pictures taken Oh well, I'm sure it'll be great..

For our 'guest book', we're thinking of taking a digital picture of each guest, and having them sign a signing mat.. then we'll put all the pictures together in a collage and have the signing mat go around it, so we have a pic of everyone who came to the wedding.. Also, right after we walk to the end of the aisle at the end of the ceremony, we're going to hold up cards that say "thank you" and kiss, so we get a picture of everyone in the background, and we'll use that picture as our thank you cards

My flower girl is my niece, and we found an identical dress to mine (right down to the red ribbon), it's going to be so cute.. when we picked it out, my nephew (the ringbearer) got upset that his sister got to get a dress and he didn't, so we had to put one on him and take a picture too

Oh, and we've booked our honeymoon - we're going to the Sandals Ocho Rios resort in Jamaica! My FH has never been on a plane or gone anywhere really, and I've never been in a very fancy resort, so we're so pumped!

Right now we just have little things left to do .. writing our vows, getting our rings, and again, the tuxes..

Thanks for indulging me

I came across an idea of having little cards that people can write what they think we'll be up to in 5 years.. we can then seal up the box without reading them and open them on our 5 year anniversary.. it's cute, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet..

Diamondsmum - 10 kids what your sister did was so sweet! It must have been hilarious travelling down the road in that camper!

Old December 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I love all of your ideas, and I think it's really great of you to have some alternative dishes for people who are veggies and vegans. Most people don't bother to even think about that.

I like the collage idea as well. It's a nice memory for you as will be the cards your guests write on.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/