Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmanian
Amy has (with good reason) likely left the building.

What good reason? Not one single person levelled an insult at her.

She probably read all sorts of things she didn't know previously, every single person here learned of designer breeds, inrresponsible breeding etc one way or another. Here, on boards like it, by research, whatever.

It's true that different forums and boards develop a sort of "groupthink" but that doesn't make it wrong. Just that people tend to congregate where there's like-minded folks! I like it that there isn't heavy moderating on these forums.

Look at Ghullum's mom & other people who initially came here, posted something controversial, got swept into a storm of strong opinions, and had the guts or will or whatever to stay & learn more. Because at the heart of these strong opinions is a passion for the health & welfare of animals.

Mind you a sticky about designer breeds etc might not be a bad idea. I did notice a reduction in the "Help plz my pet is bleeding from every orifice and isn't eating what do u think it could be" posts after the notice was put up on the health forum about when to take your animal to the vet & not waste time posting unanswerable questions.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A person asks a question.

5 or 6 people jump down their throat and hijack the thread into a puppy-mill bash fest.
No one jumped down her throat.She came on asking about a Morkie "breeder"...So we all just wanted to inform her about this "designer" breed which she probably didn't know about.This is a site that people can give out information on things we know..Well guess what,we did.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

"A person asks a question.

5 or 6 people jump down their throat and hijack the thread into a puppy-mill bash fest. "

Do you have ANY idea how tragic puppy mills ARE???? Most of the people on this board are supporting or directly working with rescue. No one jumps down anyone's throat, but if someone seems uneducated on the issue--trust me she/he won't leave here without some enlightenment...

Puppy mills are exploitation in the most horrific sense of the word.

We should jump. Yes we should.

If someone leaves the forum feeling offended, then she should read the format at the beginning to get a feel for who we are. If she is STILL offended after that then maybe she should ask her questions elsewhere. Not to be mean, but I think when we look at an issue as tragic as puppymills, byb, and the like, people's feelings are secondary, and HARDLY the point.

That's just my opinion.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I tried rescues - multiple year wait list
I tried this bulletin board - no responses

The person who I bought my puppy from was extremely picky about who she sold her dogs too. We had lengthy conversations about what kind of environment I would be able to provide the dog, she made sure that I knew all the health problems the particular breed had, etc. I still keep in touch with her as it one of the requests she had upon the purchase of the puppy.

I have some more comments on the comments here....

Wanting a specific breed does not make you a bad person - most times there are specific reasons why a certain type is wanted ie. allergies, amount of exercise that can be provided, indoor / outdoor etc.

It would be wonderful if all dogs at rescues could be rescued and I honestly tried a rescue and it was not an option (multiple year wait list). But on the other hand - do you want people getting a rescue dog just because it's a rescue dog (ie - they're doing a good thing?)? What if they can't exercise it enough, are allergic to it etc. What's the point then? They'll just bring it back to the rescue.

By going to a breeder, does that make me a bad person? Because many of your comments on this board indicate that I am and I take great offense at that. I LOVE my dog and cannot imagine life without her.

Since I have joined this board the hostility is almost becoming overwhelming and has made me leery of posting anything for fear of everyone jumping down my throat.

It's obvious that everyone loves their animals here. I do not think it is right that someone has to defend wanting a certain breed or where they got their animal from.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; February 16th, 2005 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removing hoobly link
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adplater
Wanting a specific breed does not make you a bad person - most times there are specific reasons why a certain type is wanted ie. allergies, amount of exercise that can be provided, indoor / outdoor etc.
There's nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed. BUT we try and educate people that are unknowing about the "breeds" that they ask about. Many of the "breeds" nowadays are infact NOT breeds.
We waited for a year before find the dog that we wanted. We knew what we were looking for and we made sure that we got what we wanted. But you have to have patience, not resort to a classifed ad because you didn't get the response you wanted within the timeframe that you specified.

Quote:
It would be wonderful if all dogs at rescues could be rescued and I honestly tried a rescue and it was not an option (multiple year wait list). But on the other hand - do you want people getting a rescue dog just because it's a rescue dog (ie - they're doing a good thing?)? What if they can't exercise it enough, are allergic to it etc. What's the point then? They'll just bring it back to the rescue.
Some people that try and get dogs from rescues that don't have the time and energy for it, will more then likeyl get denied...
Rescues can be wrong... they can assume that because you work 8 hours a day that you're not going to be fit for that animal. Well... they have been right more times then wrong... they deal with MANY different types of people wanting animals and adoption selection gets more and more difficult after a potential adopter ruins it for the next.... :sad:

Quote:
By going to a breeder, does that make me a bad person? Because many of your comments on this board indicate that I am and I take great offense at that. I LOVE my dog and cannot imagine life without her.
By going to a REPUTIPLE breeder it doesn't make a bad person. If you go to someone that has puppies born in their house because they have cute dog and wanted her to have some like her... then there is a lack of education. If you're questioning what to look for and aren't sure what to expect, then research... people are willing to teach others about the pros and cons.

Quote:
Since I have joined this board the hostility is almost becoming overwhelming and has made me leery of posting anything for fear of everyone jumping down my throat.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Many people here are very passionate about animals and their well being. Many of us would seel our homes, cars, and quit our jobs if it meant helping that animal. BUT not everyone shares those views; and some people feel that when others don't agree with what they have to say, then we are hostile and rude.

Quote:
It's obvious that everyone loves their animals here. I do not think it is right that someone has to defend wanting a certain breed or where they got their animal from.
what's done is done. But if we can help someone learn a little more, read a little more and be educated about their search for pets... then we will help.. if we can prevent someone from buying a petstore dog, or buying a dog from a BYB, why not give it a chance...
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

We are talking about "designer" breeds here.People who purposely breed 2 purebreds and then call them Morkies,Cockapoos,Labradoodles,Pekeapoos,and so on.These people ONLY do it for the money.They usualy breed with every heat.They are not genetic or health tested.These are BYB's.And yes also from puppymills.

No one puts people down who have gone to a reputable breeder.I have never had anyone jump down my throat when I mentioned my dogs came from a reputable breed.Who's dogs come from champion lines,are titled in SchH III.Have a pedigree that goes back to 5 generations.Have been genetic and health tested.Only breed no more then twice a year.Need I say more...

Just some info for you,there is no such thing as a "teacup"Chi...Do you know that they way they get this so called teacup is my breeding the runts?
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Hey Karin wheres your suit !!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

adplater, I agree that there is nothing wrong with wanting a particular breed. I know I did.

There is also nothing wrong with dealing with a reputable breeder, who has the breed's best interests in mind. There are many rather rare breeds that would be impossible to find in shelters or rescues, so breeder puppies are often the only option.

There IS something wrong with someone peddling puppies on that hoobly site. A reputable breeder would have a list of approved homes even before the breeding took place.

You will NEVER see a truly reputable breeder offering puppies on the net.

By the way, the puppy you got from this person. She now is shedding to the point of baldness, coughing, has very watery eyes and a hernia?

Reputable breeders use only dogs who have been tested and cleared of any and all genetic defects and give health guarantees on puppies. What does your health guarantee say?

Did you see the place where your puppy came from?
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM

In response to shedding / watery eyes / coughing - she had a cold - nothing to run to an emergency room about.
The shedding has definitely lessened in the past 2 days - we're attributing it to nothing more than a brushing required.

Yes, I saw the breeder's home - it was impeccable - her home and where the puppies were. BTW the puppy was 8 months old when I got her.

I understand educating - I've seen some fabulous posts by senior members - but some people need to go to anger management school and learn how to get their emotions in check.

and yes I have a chihuahua (VERY proud owner!) not a tea-cup either - I wanted a chihuahua because of the lifestyle that we have - constantly travelling etc......

but I digress - I'm feeling that I have to defend myself.

too bad a few apples spoil the bunch!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
banned user

Quote:
"Morkie" - had a show in the 70's with a girl named Mindy, didn't he??
W4F.... LMAO!
Attached Images

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

LMAO! When the going gets rough... Bugsy hijacks the thread... LOL!! You go girl!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Whoever mentioned putting up a sticky concerning designer breeds - there is already a puppymill sticky on this very forum but I will add a designer breed one.

Adplater - glad your dog is feeling better, but dogs do NOT get colds. They get respiratory infections which can be very serious in such a tiny dog. It could very well be "something to run to emergency for."
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

ROTFLMAO!!!
I typed "morkie" into Google images and this is one that came up!!!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
LMAO! When the going gets rough... Bugsy hijacks the thread... LOL!! You go girl!

We need audio (insert Shaggy song)

It must be Bugsy & Peaches... see they log on to my PC when I'm at work. "Yeah that's it !"
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Oh, Sammie! That is just too funny! (do I feel another 4-day smily fest coming on?)

Adplater, I don't know why you have your knickers in a knot (now where have I heard that before?? ). No one here said anything about purchasing puppies from reputable breeders. Many people have. We love them all. So there's a multiple year waiting list for breed-specific rescues. There are also waiting lists for reputable breeders. Instant gratification is not an option when dealing with a life.

Old February 16th, 2005, 02:11 PM

It seems to me that there are only long (years, not weeks) waiting lists at shelters if someone is being too picky about the breed they want, or is unwilling to drive a little ways to a different rescue place. When we got our dog Gabby, instead of searching for a specifc breed we searched for desireable qualities, such as: hair length, size, energy level, age, and to a lesser extent temperment (since that is largely upbringing). Who cares what the breed is if you aren't going to show the dog? A loving pet is a loving pet whether it is a lab, dane, pitt, rott, supermutt or whatever.

FYI...we wanted a short haired, <75 lb, younger dog with enough energy to go on mountain bike rides with us but not so much that we would go crazy. We ended up adopting a black lab/pitbull mix. She is on the higher side of our energy level and weight, but she is basically exactly what we were looking for and loves to go for bike rides! She is GREAT!!
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM

It seems that many people can get carried away on a topic they're passionate about. What types of breeders are out there is something people who frequent these boards are passionate about. There will never be a request for a "designer dog" that goes without some sort of informative post being made.

A reputable breeder breeds for one goal - to have the best dog of that particular breed. The goal? This is the goal. Would the breeder of this Pointer mate her with a Great Dane because it would make a better dog? Not if you paid her any sum of money. That's what reputable breeders do - they breed for the betterment of the breed.

"Designer dogs" are just that - dogs that are specifically bred for characteristics of two different breeds. They'll never be recognized - at least in my lifetime - as a breed by any reputable club.

It's one thing to see a dog you like and to want to adopt it. It's another entirely to seek out a particular mix of dog and call it a breed.

Schnoodle, Cockapoos, and other mixes started off as an accidental mix of two dogs. Someone saw it, liked it, and the design craze started. Poor things. Makes you wonder what these "loving" people will make them look like next.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Instant gratification? Maybe you should have asked to hear the entire story.

Our first dog was a humane society rescue (Dutchie passed away 5 years ago - beagle / terrier something cross - no, not a designer breed! A totally pure mutt!!!) and he was the love of our lives. After he died, I didn't think I could ever have another dog in the house (too painful - felt like I was trying to replace him etc).

About two years ago, I thought I had grieved enough and knew I could provide a wonderful loving home for a dog again. I looked all over the internet, local humane societies, rescues, boards at work, word of mouth etc. educating myself about different breeds / health problems / activity levels etc. and also looking for a dog that would fit in our home. Our home has no yard, lots of travelling, 2 small children, and a humane society rescue cat which can be very choosy on who she loves. If I had not seen the ad at the website, I would still be searching for Rosie and she would have been looking for a home also.

Rosie was born with a very small hernia (kind of looks like she has a belly-button which looks odd on a dog), which the vet said was not a problem and that she may grow out of it. Since it had not resolved itself, the vet suggested fixing it today since she was going to be in that area spaying her anyways.

I do enjoy the education / knowledge, helpfullness etc. gained through this board. But I don't think I'm the only one who feels the same way I do about some of the other comments. Look at Jazzanian's comments, Amy is no longer around etc. and then look at Karina / Writing 4 fun responses.
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't get defensive...you love Rosie, and you probably have learned by now there's better places to find a breeder, right?
That's what it's all about.
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I'm not surprised that the OP has not returned. More often than not, the people that post these "1" post questions never return, and are just trying to stir the pot.

It looks like Amy did a good job. Look at us attacking each other. We all love our animals, and wish them only the best. The educated ones are the ones who return, even when they see replies they may not like. If we can educate one person to what designer dogs are, and the reasons for not seeking them out when there are so many homeless dogs/cats in shelters, then we've had a good day and can sleep well.

I think we can call this thread finished. Do I hear an "Amen" to that?

There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

WAIT!!!! Here's another "morkie" that I found!

Okay, now close it!
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Oh boy! I should delete that UGLY monkey BEFORE I close this thread!

Old February 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammie i wonder how much your morkies would sell for. I mean come on that purple morkie is hard to come by! LOL

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Closed Thread