Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old October 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Arrow Info on kennel dogs

Hi there everyone,
I am new here, and a few days ago i posted in the pet adoption, asking for help to find a BOSTON TERRIER. I got a few replies with encouraging words, good advice, and some names and numbers of people who could help me. I spoke with a breeder who is considering putting one of her kennel dogs into a home, it sounded promising that she would consider our family for the placement. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or advice about bringing a kennel dog into my home. I have 2 children, 2 & 6, if that might factor into any advice you may have. Thank you so much for your time.

drewfan
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Hi drewfan. Not quite sure what you mean by a "kennel dog"?
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you mean this person keeps her breeding dogs in kennels all the time?

That's not a good sign, particularly for house dogs like Bostons.

Some questions to ask: Why is this dog kept in a kennel? Is this dog housebroken? Socialized? Used to small children? Had any training at all? Will this dog be spayed or neutered prior to placement?

If you like the answers, then you can take your children to meet the dog.
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Im sorry...what i meant by kennel dog was that the woman i spoke with is a breeder..in kingston, she referred to the dog as a kennel dog. She is 3 years old and she has been bred twice, in the summer she keeps the dogs in outdoor kennels, and at night the come in the house. Im sorry if i made it sound cruel.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM
looking for mastiff

sounds like the breeder has a brood bitch she wants to retire. This was one of the things I looked at when I was searching for a mastiff. I had an opportunity to take a retired bitch and my girlfriend who used to breed dogs gave me a list of things to find out.

First - is the dog housebroken? Some kennels rotate their breeding stock so that every dog has a chance to be a housedog for a while. If the breeder does that, then the dog is used to being in the house. But you need to ask.

Second - is the dog really being retired? At some time in the future is the breeder going to want another litter from this bitch? If the dog is really being retired, who is paying for the spay? Will the breeder do it to make sure its done or will she hand over the dog with a promise from you to spay it? If the breeder doesn't want you to spay her because she might want to breed her again, then you have a responsibility to make sure she doesn't escape during her heats. If she wants another litter, are you really the owner or is the dog just "boarding" with you on a long term basis?

Third: - has the dog had any obedience training at all? Will she walk on a leash? Has she ever been in a car?

I was concerned because I didn't know how well a dog would transition from being in a kennel with other dogs to being in a house with just people. But my girlfriend said that most retired bitches are love sponges -- they are so happy to be an only dog and the centre of attention that they adapt very quickly to being a companion.

Finally, cost. Most breeders will want to charge you some sort of adoption fee -- and if they are paying for the spaying of the animal, they should be able to recover some or all of those costs. However! The breeder ought to have as her first priority finding a good home for a dog who has provided her with a couple of litters and who has made some money for her. So, the adoption fee should not be as much as you would pay for a puppy or young adult of the same breed.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you very much yvonnem, you have given me some great questions to ask, I appreciate it very much, I hope everything works out with this dog. I have been waiting a long time. Again, Thank You.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Ive just spoken to the woman again, she has told me that she is housebroken, she does walk on a leash, she says she is a champion dog, and she will get her spayed, the total cost for the dog would be $1250.00 Im not quite sure what retired bitches go for..is that too much?
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM

It sounds quite alot

I too have been looking for a mastiff and considering buying a young one or retired one but decided against it due to 3 young children . The lady who had a mastiff which she said was rescued i think it was a retired dog but anyhow she wanted 800 cad the english mastiff pupy retails about 2500 cad im not sure about the boston terrier never really heard of the breed but maybe you should find out the going rate for a puppy and i would think it should be alot less than this.
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Please send me a PM. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfan
Ive just spoken to the woman again, she has told me that she is housebroken, she does walk on a leash, she says she is a champion dog, and she will get her spayed, the total cost for the dog would be $1250.00 Im not quite sure what retired bitches go for..is that too much?
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Love all creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
$1250 for a retired breeder???

(Who was is who said breeders aren't into that business to turn a profit.... )

drewfan, you should call around to some other breeders of dogs (doesn't matter which breed) and get a better idea of what they charge, IF ANYTHING, for a retired breeder. $1250 is certainly an inflated price.
That's because this breeder isn't a responsible one..its more than obvious..
I'd avoid people like this when looking for a dog..that's for sure..if you want a boston terrier..there are plenty of BT rescues all over the place...just look one up on the internet and see what dogs they have for adoption. Thats my suggestion. Good breeders are hard to find...I rather adopt a stray/rescue dog than purchase one from a BYB breeder and only support the bull that they're pulling off..

Good luck with your search drewfan.
Old October 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the word is "disreputable" and not necessarily "irresponsible". Very different.

A breeder who charges different prices to certain people or for different colours of dogs certainly is not reputable or ethical.

To me (although I know little of the prices of ex breeding bitches) 1250$ seems exhorbitant for a 3 yr old spayed dog that can be neither bred nor shown.

A really reputable breeder would primarily want a wonderful home for this dog above all else.

Drewfan, you might want to contact some other breeders to see what they would ask for a dog like this, if they had one.