Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:42 PM

Exclamation Have I come to the right place?

I need to find some help in knowing if I have to take my dog to the vet or not. Is this a place where I can get some unprofessional advice from experience.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Helicopter Champion

This is a place where you can get a lot of advice, both professional and "unprofessional". However, when it comes to "should I take my dog/cat/bird/etc to the vet" questions, the answer will always be yes, particularily if it is to do with the health and well being of your pet.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks

ok, let me refrase my question. My dog has suddenly developed a hunger problem. Eating everything he can get ahold of. He used to be fed with a feeder now he is given portions. Am I doing the right thing. He seems to be starved to death. Constantly asking for food.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM

When in doubt, go to the vet! Always better safe than sorry when it comes to our furkids.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogastrophe
This is a place where you can get a lot of advice, both professional and "unprofessional". However, when it comes to "should I take my dog/cat/bird/etc to the vet" questions, the answer will always be yes, particularily if it is to do with the health and well being of your pet.

well said........no need for my two cents
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you need to provide a bit more info - what kind of feeding schedule was he on previously and did he eat well then? Why the change and is is the same kind if fiid? How much does he weigh and is it the correct weight for his breed at his age (according to various vet sotes or your own vet?) have you called your vet - often vets who are used to your dog and have already treated him and arefamiar with his medical history would have baseline info to go on and could answer that question in a phone call.Whjen was his last vet checkup - if his next is not in a while, it would not hurt to bring him in just to make sure.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Papa D

first of all , what kind of dog? how big of portions are you feeding how much exercise does he get?
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM

Your advice is good

But I don't have the money to take him to a vet. Especially if there is something I can do to help him without the vet. I am a senior with 2 dogs and no money.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM

Oops! We posted at the same time.

When you say "with a feeder", do you mean he was previously free fed? Are you now trying control his portions due to issues with weight, allergies, etc? Has there been a change in his food brand in conjunction with this?

Worms could always be a concern when a dog's appetite seems to get unusually ravenous, but hard to say without any background.

There is plenty of good advice to be had here...a little more info would help to provide it.

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM

Yes you would need more information. I am so sorry. I have 2 dogs they are both small. This one is a part chiwahwah. The other is I am told part Cairn Terrier. They were sharing a auto feed dish for a long time and suddenly my chiwahwah started finishing off the whole thing for himself in less than a week. I finally figured out what was happening and now I am giving them both about 1 cup a day (1/2 in morning and 1/2 at night). The picture is of my 2 dogs. Pogo has gained weight from this incesent eating. I am trying to keep it down to a minimum. I thought about worms but if that is the problem I would ask for some suggestions for medication. I have never had this problem before.

Last edited by grandmacj; March 1st, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM

Did I oops or being impatient

I think all who input are offering wonderful help. I appreciate all. Did I make a mistake or is there nothing more to say.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM

So Pogo is the chi with the ravenous appetite? How long have you been on the "portioned" feeding schedule?

Some dogs are shameless beggars, and will guilt you into feeding them more than they need. Also, I would think its usually recommended to wean them onto less food over a period of time, rather than severly cutting their food.

Are they on a heartworm medication? Have you noticed anything unusual in Pogo's stool?

As others have asked here, have you changed the brand of their food recently? Any other significant changes that you might have noticed?

Not trying to grill you...but every bit helps!

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom has a 4 pound chihuahua that eats just under a half a cup of food a day. Any more then this and he starts packing on the extra weight. He eats Canidae, which can be purchased at most pet stores for about $6 for an 8 pound bag. This bag lasts her about a month. Usually a bit longer. And yes - he is always acting like he hasn't seen food a day in his life!

Make sure your dogs don't share dishes.

Check with your local humane society, also a couple of rescue groups. They almost always know where in the area you can go for veteranary help while on a restricted budget.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM

Hungry Dog

I would also advise you to go to a vet. Without being able to see the dog and get ALL the details it would be impossible to know whats up. Is the dog losing weight regardless of being fed proper porportions? Has he been dewormed every year? Is he on any meds? Could be a side affect. How is his overall health? Is he still happy, perky, energetic, eating and drinking properly? Any loose stools? Is he leaking from the eyes or nose?

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't answer your question even if I had all the details. I'm not a vet. But having had dealt in detail with many vets over many dogs, I can just imagine that these will be some of the questions that they will need to ask in order to determine if there is an issue.

You could try just calling the vet over the phone and asking if they have any ideas on what you should be looking for over the next couple of days while you determine his need for vet visit.

If he is losing weight, not been dewormed, or is lethargic, or otherwise not himself I would make an appointment ASAP
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM

Sorry

Lost my connection. I don't think it is grilling me I just don't know exactly what is needed and have problems reading. One question at a time would be nice.

I have not noticed anything different and I have not really changed their food and they do share the water dish still. I did get some food that was suppose to be to help the digestive system and gave it to both of them but mostly to my older dog. It was just a very small box. I added it to their food. This Chi weighed about 6 lbs when I first got him but has grown a bit since then. Now he is gaining weight rapidly. I could certainly give him a little more food so he isn't cut off so rapidly. I don't want to hurt him but I knew the weight he was gaining would be harmful to him.

CJ
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:59 PM

Smile My Pogo

Yes Pogo is the chi.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:05 PM

You say Pogo is a mix, how old is he?

What is the brand of food you are feeding - both the regular and the one for digestive aid?

Old March 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM

Yes Pogo is a mix. He was a stray as a puppy. He is now 2 years old. I feed them Authority rice and lamb from Petsmart. That has not changed. But the one I added was just a small box that I got for 99 cents. I don't remember the name of it and Daisy got most of it.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM

I think your best bet would be to call your vet. Tell them whats up, and see if there isn't something they can do for you over the phone. If they insist on a visit, ask them if they have a payment plan. Most vets have either some sort of payment schedule or have funds that they collect donations for, for those who are on fixed incomes, or are temporarily short of cash.

Although the fact that he was free fed and overweight, and is now on a "diet" sounds kind of like a possibility. But please check it out with a vet. And unless someone says they are a vet, take their advice with a grain of salt. We are all kind and well intentioned people but can only speak from our personal experience with our own animals.

Boy oh Boy eh?? You ask one little question huh and your buried up to your neck in postings. LOLOLOL
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM

all. I sure appreciate your sticking with me on this. I need to find a good vet. Last time I took this little "I'll eat anything baby to my vet he charged me almost $100.00 and said he had kennel cough. While I was feeding him the medicine with peanut butter he coughed up something he had injested in the yard from an overhanging tree. I then trimed the tree on my side. He is older now and much better at not eating anything. But I can't find a good vet. Any suggestions on what questions to ask to find a good one.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

A GOOD local rescue vets all of their animals before putting them up for adoption. This can be pricey - so rescue's often know the best vets in town that are willing to work with people as far as fees go. I know that there is one here where I live that has a spay/neuter clinic. They have also been known to help people on fixed incomes with their pets.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:27 PM

Got to run. Be back again to chat about my little darlings.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM

I see you are in Florida, my brother and uncle are in Sarasota. I live in the high desert of southern California and we don't have but one human society for the whole 3 city + area and I don't think they do any recommending. I have gone as far as 15 miles away to find a good vet. Maybe someone can come up with some questions to ask.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:33 PM

Dogastrophe, thanks for the help. I will do some checking around. I sure appreciate everyone's help.