Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 27th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Unhappy Worms!?!

I have already been to the vet and Dozer has already been given all the meds he needs, but how or what do I do to stop the worms climbing out of his bottom? He has been dewormed and everything but the darn things still crawl out. What is there to do? I'm stumped. Will they go away after a while or what? If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

How long has it been since he took the meds?
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndukee
I have already been to the vet and Dozer has already been given all the meds he needs, but how or what do I do to stop the worms climbing out of his bottom? He has been dewormed and everything but the darn things still crawl out. What is there to do? I'm stumped. Will they go away after a while or what? If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
If you have seen the vet about this problem I am sure they also explained to you WHAT kind of worms they are AND how he got infested with them....

From what little information offered I guess it's tapeworms. If it's roundworms, a possibility since no age is offered or when was this vet visit too?.....once dewormed an infested pet will poop dead roundworms...or get reinfested..same with tapeworms if you do not follow through with treatment to rid the living area of any chance of reinfestion.

Btw, cat or dog? ...doesn't really matter at this point but I'm curious.

Gee. I'm confused too.
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Unhappy

Sorry, Dozer is a dog and he's 10 weeks old. He was again dewormed on 8-26, by the local shelter where I adopted him. He was first dewormed on 8-18 when he first entered the shelter. The worms are roundworms and they are coming out alive. The tapeworms are dead as they come out. I just don't know what to do about the live worms coming out. Shouldn't they be dead?
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndukee
Sorry, Dozer is a dog and he's 10 weeks old. He was again dewormed on 8-26, by the local shelter where I adopted him. He was first dewormed on 8-18 when he first entered the shelter. The worms are roundworms and they are coming out alive. The tapeworms are dead as they come out. I just don't know what to do about the live worms coming out. Shouldn't they be dead?
It would not hurt to deworm him again. Roundworms are gross and a fully infected puppy like yours was full of them!

Tapeworm segments are actually egg segments. You are probably seeing those. What was the dewormer your vet prescribed? Was it Panacur? This will kill tapeworm, hookworm, roundworm & whipworm if given over a three day schedule. If nemex (strongid) ..this will kill roundworm & hookworm only.
Either way, seeing the roundworms exiting is a good thing...no matter how gross it is. Please talk to your vet and use do care in handling of the fecal matter. * I bet he had a pot belly when you first saw him*
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Thumbs up worms!?!

Thanks Karin! You are such a big help! I was just paniked about seeing the worms coming out. The kids were really freaked out. Well, when I first saw Dozer in the shelter he was with about 6 of his brothers and sisters. I went back to the shelter about 5 times, just waiting for him to come up for adoption. And yes he was a pot belly lil one when I saw him. I asked about his brothers and sisters having worms like he does and the staff said that they were not bad like Dozer is. Could just one pup out of the pack be worse off with the worms than the rest? And yes the vet prescribed strongid! I will change that on Monday!
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:56 AM

I would stick with the Strongid, it's working. Panacur could be a little too much for the youngster right now. The tapeworm issue can be addressed later, when he's stronger. Passing the roundworms is a good sign..(if you can see any good in worms). Hookworms are much harder to see but I am sure he had them too.

I would put him on a high quality puppy chow to help give his deprived body a good start and.....

....spoil him rotten!

Last edited by Karin; August 28th, 2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

My cat was given Drontal (sp?) and he had live roundworms coming out both ends. Gross, but a good sign. And Karen is right about the tapeworm, it is much less damaging. I guess the vet told you he had to be treated at least twice, once for the adults and then later to catch the hatched eggs. Believe me, he is already feeling much better.
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Smile Worms!?!

So it is a good sign that the worms are coming out dead or alive right? I will stick to strongid and I think his next dose will be on 8-31 or so. He is already spoiled rotten!
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Drontal is a wonderful dewormer but expensive. (spelling is correct) Drontal covers most parasites including tapeworms, except heartworms of course. Strongid works great, very inexpensive and very, very safe. It is actually better to slightly overdose with strongid then underdose. The tapeworm issue can be addressed later when the puppers is stronger.

Worms are gross, once he is rid of them you should not have to worry any more. Your vet will get him on a schedule for vaccinations & heartworm prevention.

Please do not spoil him so much that he will not allow you join in here every now & then okay?

Oh, keep us updated and pictures are welcomed....*hint, hint*