Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2005, 12:49 AM

Unhappy Increased urination after neutering - Answered by Dr. Slome

I swear this was already in a thread, but I can't find it anywhere... A man at our park with a Dogue de Bordeaux got his boy "done" 3 weeks ago, and since then, the doggy went for being able to hold it for 8 hours to a maximum 4 hours. He's a year old. Is it a UTI? Or just healing from the surgery?

Otherwise, I can't figure out that it is. I'd hate for it to be something terrible... This doggy is terrific.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Definatly suggest he have vet check out the dog ASAP.... however, it makes sense to me that that poor pup is still sore and swollen up inside. It could be possible the dog had a retained teste and the neuteur surgery is a little more invasive in that case as the vet needs to kinda fish around and find it in order to remove it above the appropriate spot (there is a bulb above the teste that produces testosterone, it must be removed)
If there is no improvement at all, see vet! As always a vets advice in a situation like this is important. And if the man has gone to the trouble to research and purchase a Dogue I'm sure a 50-100$ vet checkup is well worth it to him...
Good Luck
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I think he will go, I told him to... People just ask me stuff so when they do go to the vet they aren't completely clueless... But this time I wasn't much help. Most of the males I know barely act like they've had any surgery at all.

Last edited by Prin; May 20th, 2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Administrator

This is likely one of 2 things:
1. You correctly suggested it may somehow be related to a UTI and will be easy to detect through a urine test. It is possible it may be related to crystals that may be forming and is caused by multiple possibilities including diet, genetics, infections etc.

2. There may be a behaviour component - a certain anxiety after the surgery can try and prompt them to get attention in any way in order to alleviate stress or anxiety. A call for the washroom usually gets one's attention quite quickly and many of them (dogs) know this.

Obviously to differentiate, it is best that this man have his boy checked out by his Vet or at least contact his Vet for advice. If he feels he is not getting adequate support, he should look for another opinion. If it is not a urine infection, I have found that reverting back to crate training for a while may sometimes help

Hope this helps

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street #40-42
Thornhill, Ont.
L4J 7Y3
Tel. 905 771-9855
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll forward the info to the owner.