Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
<-----nut ball

reactive hypoglycemia

I was told I have reactive hypoglycemia and with going back to work I am going nuts!

basically, my blood sugar drops rapidly after I eat. Doc hasn't figured out why, but could be early stages of type 2 diabetes where there is TOO much insulin in the blood which takes away the glucose too fast...but all the tests were negative for that.

Doc told me to keep a journal of how I react to certain foods. If a food makes me drop fast avoid it. I try to avoid anything with simple carbs, and I have to have a low complex carb intake as well. Which really sucks because I have to have more high protein high fat foods so I don't pass out all the time.

Lately I feel like 90% of my day I have low blood sugar. heart palpatations, shakeness, fatigue, hunger, fuzzy brain, hot flashes, sweating. I can't function in my job like this.

Yesterday I had a bran muffin for breakfast and a yop at 6:30 AM..by 7:30 AM I was ready to pass out! That is not normal! Most people last a few hours before low blood sugar hits. I also brought to work with me 2 sandwiches (on long buns), a large container of carrots and cucumber, several drink boxes of juice, 2 granola bars, about 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, and a bottle water. I ate all that and still had to stop on my way home at a drive through for food because I was so weak. I then had some chicken fingers and juice on my way home, and then still had some of our quiche we made for dinner later. By bed time I was weak again.

I have had this since I was a teenager and only really brought it to my docs attention about a year ago. So far she is lost as to what to do. I am feeling so discouraged from life. Sorry...just needed to rant. I just don't know what to do. I want to loose weight, so I'm probably not eating as much as I should. Low glucose affects the brain and it can't function with low glucose, but I'm afraid if I eat too much (enough not to feel low blood sugar all the time) that I will get fat. Is it worth the risk? Should I just eat so that I can function and not worry about weight gain?

I have today off work and tomorrow I sign my new contract that starts monday. This job you have to "work to get paid" (what you bill to clients is what you get paid...which is good because I can take breaks and span out my work over 7 days, not just 5 8-hour days...but I have to constantly work to get any money coming in...) I'm just afraid I won't be able to do it.

this may sound funny, but the only food I know DEFINATELY doesn't trigger my hypoglycemia is pizza. I told the doc this and she said it's VERY common. Tomatoes and cheese are great for hypoglycemics aparently. But I will get fat eating pizza every day!

just to add, I had an early lunch around 11:30. It consisted of leftovers of a "breakfast" bake I made. I had bacon to use, to it was a pie pan lined with bacon, filled with frozen veggies (broccoli, cawliflower, carrots, beans), a little cheese, and then I scrambled some eggs and poured it over top like a quiche. I then covered it with hash brown potatoes, and baked it until it was cooked through, and potatoes were brown. All in all, not the "lightest" meal around, but something that is filling and should keep a normal person satisfied for a few hours at least. Well..it's now less than 2 hours later and after eating 2 servings of that (about 2-3 cups total maybe as it kinda fell apart) I am already low blood sugar, faint, hungry, shakey, ready to pass out.

Last edited by raingirl; June 29th, 2005 at 12:13 PM.