Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I vote for looking better

Tell Ridge that she's beautiful owie or not.

And you, Hazel, your vet skills are just amazing. You've got that special healing feeling
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
And you, Hazel, your vet skills are just amazing. You've got that special healing feeling
Yeah, when I'm not passing out because it looks like it hurts...

Ridge will be happy to hear that she's still beautiful and looking better--but she's sleepin' And, for the first time in days, is not snoring from the swelling!

I'll be sure to tell her later, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted to puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Thanks, shredy.

Is that why I always fester with hydrogen peroxide? I never use it for anything unless I need to clean blood out of fur near a new slash to assess the damage. Used it a couple of times a few weeks ago when status-struggles by the newbies resulted in some shredded ear flaps. pftuiiiiii! But now I'm glad I don't use it regularly to clean wounds!

The vet told us to keep it open-air, too.

Does it look better to you today, or is that just my imagination?
Hydrogen peroxide is ok to use on new wounds to clean up blood, soap and warm water is just as effective if none is available.

It looks better to me, not as much inflammation and it looks like it is healing.
Poor Ridge, I can imagine how bad that hurts :sad: Give her Chloe kisses from us!!

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I sure will, shredy! She'll like Chloe kisses!

I'm a little worried about her now, though--she's slept almost all day...really out. I'm hoping that means she's catching up on missed sleep now that she's feeling better and that she's pooped and her nose isn't as sore

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
-

She's probably sleepy from all the meds , and overall tired. I don't think she would be able to sleep this way if she was in pain.
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
She's probably sleepy from all the meds , and overall tired. I don't think she would be able to sleep this way if she was in pain.
Poor dear was exhausted then--she's been out like a light for about 4 hours now. She just got up and changed positions and now she's asleep again. I hope she's dreaming of her next yogurt and pumpkin meal.

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Addicted to puppy

I second that, she is probably feeling better and is exhausted from being in pain and not sleeping. Sleep is good, her body will heal better while she sleeps. I am sending more Chloe kisses to help her speedy recovery

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, shredy. I was just considering putting in another call to the vet. They're likely very sick of calls from ol' hazel! But this is a new one for me...

She doesn't seem uncomfortable, doesn't seem hot...just really, really out of it. She does open her eyes when I talk to her, and she's breathing deeply and steadily but slowly. So maybe I'll just have faith that she's doing good and give the vet break today.

Old January 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I am sure the vet would not be bothered if you call,over the years you've probably contributed to more than one BMW,his/her kids tuition-fees etc..
She is probably knocked out from the meds and pure exhaustion,sleep is good!
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think we've bankrolled all that and more, chico--just in 2007!

She's been out twice now, but just wants to rub her nose, so I making her come back in. I wish she'd at least pee!

Old January 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh Hazel! and poor Ridge! I am sorry you guys are going through this! I am catching up some older stuff and havent really read the whole thread here..how did your poor girl get this?

I do think there is improvement between those pictures...and she is probably tired from being in pain..sending good vibes your way and big hugs and kisses for Ridge...boy she sure is beautiful in her picture from July! Then again the whole pack I find just gorgeous!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Remembering Lukka

Hazel I hope Ridge is still improving. Poor thing, it did look so painful in the pics you posted a couple of pages back. Anyway lots of coming at you
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
-

Hazel, I think there is a bit of improvement as well. And, also agree that she is likely feeling a wee bit better so is able to finally get some sleep. Sending lots more and your way.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She just got in a rub and took a few more pieces of her nose off. :sad: She is going to be so scarred if she keeps this up. We just resorted to a longer DEC and more pain killer--seems like about the time the pills wear off, she wants to rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Oh Hazel! and poor Ridge! I am sorry you guys are going through this! I am catching up some older stuff and havent really read the whole thread here..how did your poor girl get this?
We think it was from rubbing her nose on her crate door back in November. We were gone about 3 hours and it was raw when we got back--never healed properly. There's been a small sore there ever since which drained a couple of times, the second time right before I noticed the infection starting. Probably that little sore was an irritated follicle, and bacteria got into it. Once the infection got a toe-hold, it spread like wildfire.

She'd heal a whole lot faster if she'd stop rubbing!

*sigh*

However, the good news is there seem to be only a few areas with active infection any more--mostly around her mouth, under her nose, and on her chin. The stuff above is slowly but surely draining and trying to heal...

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:15 PM
-

Quote:
She just got in a rub and took a few more pieces of her nose off. :sad:
Is it bleeding again ?
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Is it bleeding again ?
Yep. :sad: Not all over...just on the sides. She lay down on a dog nest and faked hubby out by hanging her head over the edge and rubbing her scabs off on the carpet. How do you explain to her about scarring? :sad:

The longer cone may help

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
-

Ah crap ! :sad: I agree about the longer cone , you need to take drastic measures :sad:
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope the owie heals fast

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and to you and Ridge (and hubby since he is doing his part too). I hope she gets better fast. She looked in the last pictures to be doing a lot better. Silly girl and her sneak rubs.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's gonna have a very lumpy nose when it's all over if she doesn't start taking care of it! So far, the new cone is working! She hasn't figured out how to get past it, yet.

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Come on now Ridge.... stop that rubbing. (wagging finger here)
Just work on getting better, remember itching is a good sign of healing
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Hope the owie heals fast

heehee love the smiley! So appropriate! I showed Ridge... Not sure if she makes the connection, though.

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Come on now Ridge.... stop that rubbing. (wagging finger here)
Just work on getting better, remember itching is a good sign of healing
She's pretending to be asleep so I'll stop nagging her. But I'll read this to her tomorrow

I'm actually getting used to pieces of face on the carpet. :sad:

Old January 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM
-

Quote:
She's gonna have a very lumpy nose when it's all over if she doesn't start taking care of it! So far, the new cone is working! She hasn't figured out how to get past it, yet.

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Her nose does def seem better in todays pics compared to yesterday.

Poor Ridge :sad: I hurt just lookin' @ her poor nose :sad: Ridge

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Remembering Lukka

I really hope the larger cone will solve the rubbing issues for Ridge.
Today will be the day that you see a significant improvement hazel
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I am one of those scratchy people,cannot resist an itch,even if it make things worse,could not imagine not beeing able to scratch,but keep telling Ridge it's for her own good,she would not want her beautiful face marred
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ridge....be good for momma!!
Attached Images

Old January 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The longer cone seems to be working I have to pick up the water bowl and hold it for her, the same with her food bowl, but it makes it much easier to stop the dive into the rough snowbank and prevent nose rubbies on carpet!

She's definitely improved today. (Good call, LM!! ) The infection is subsiding and the swelling is definitely down. She's going to have some remarkable pitting, though... But I think both she and I will settle for pits if we can just clear up the infection!

I'm beginning to think that some of it might now be itching--just to add misery to the hurting But it's progress, so I'm trying to convince her this is a good thing!

She had her first twitchy, yippy, snorty dream today for the first time in a week!

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
-

I'm so glad she's doing better ! I know lots of you don't like to put cones on your doggies but sometimes it's the only thing that helps !

Give a big big hug to Ridge for me