Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Animal lover!

Kennel Cough Questions

We vaccinated Cooper (1.5 year old Yorkie) for Bordetella (the nasal spray instead of the injections) before we started taking him to daycare. About a week later we took him to daycare and the next few days or so after daycare he started sneezing and reverse sneezing like crazy and seemed to be winded with the slightest bit of exertion. We thought it was a cold but reading up on the symptoms of kennel cough we figured that was it and he got it anyway. We kept him inside and tried to keep him calm and rested as much as he could. Within 2 weeks he seemed to be better and over it. It has now been 2 weeks since Cooper's been better and my cat, Simon, seems to be sneezing and clearing his nose a whole lot.

Question 1. Could Cooper still have gotten kennel cough even after he had been vaccinated?

Question 2. Do cats get kennel cough?

Question 3. Could it be possible that even after 2 weeks of no symptoms that Cooper could have given kennel cough to Simon?
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Yes to Q1 & Q3. My vaccinated dog caught kennel cough playing with a supposedly recovered KC dog. The other dog was symptom free for two weeks.

Don't know the answer to Q2.

From your post, your dog's symptoms are rather mild for KC. It might just be a common cold. When my dog had his KC, he seemed like he's got something stuck in his throat and coughing his lung out. He had to be on a round of antibiotic to cure that.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats do not catch kennel cough as this is not transferable from one species to another different species.

Your cats may have Rhino.
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Animal lover!

So then cats and dogs can get regular colds?

It was funny because my hubby was sick with the flu and a cold at the same time Cooper was sick so they were able to cuddle together on the couch all day long.

Now my hubby gave me his cold and I've been sick and under the blanket on the couch and Simon has been cuddly with me the whole time.
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

If you think hes sick, maybe a vet visit would be best,just to be sure its nothing serious, as these little babies can, and will, go down hill very rapidly...Im not really educated on Kennel Cough, but isnt that really really deadly?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

KC is a lot like the human cold--it's caused by a number of different organisms. The vaccine for Kennel Cough only covers a few of the more serious, more common varieties--so if your vaccinated dog comes in contact with one of the varieties that isn't covered by the vaccine, he can still get KC. Our dogs have all contracted KC at one time or another, even though all were vaccinated (and believe me, you haven't lived till you've shared a house with 8 dogs all snarking and snotty at the same time ). Most cases of KC are pretty mild, but sometimes antibiotics and/or cough suppressants are needed.

Every case should be taken seriously, but KC is not usually deadly.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:15 PM

Yep we have had so many fosters here who were vaccinated for KC and they still get it. Its exactly the human equivalent of a cold. Just needs to run its course unless it gets very bad and turns into pneumonia. That seems to only happen to our rescue dogs whose immune system is already run down from stress and kennel. Even tho they are around my other dogs they never seem to get KC.

I find that having a hot shower and putting the dog in the bathroom with the door shut really helps. Our new guy had the reverse sneeze for about a week and he had the hot shower treatment 2x a day (DH and I). It really helped. AT the rescue we put a vaporizer or humidifier into their crate with them.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog(s) have always had the Kennel Cough shot - but as pointed out there are many strains of KC so vets give vaccination for strain most common to area. In June 2007 my dog caught KC and I was at the vet next morning (Beagle almost died of it in 1976 when there was no treatment so I wasn't about to take any chances.) He was given some cough suppressant pills - and in 2 days he was better. But I kept him away from other dogs for 10 days. Apparently if your dog has been vaccinated for KC, recovery is much faster, despite the strain of KC, than if your dog has not had the shot.
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Obsessed animal lover

It takes 2 weeks for the bordatella (intranasal) vaccine to take effect so maybe since it was only a week between the shot and the daycare, he wasn't totally protected. Your cat sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection and needs to be treated. I would make sure you wash all their dishes in bleach and hot water after every meal and wash their bedding regularly so that they don't re-infect themselves.