Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Unhappy Oh, Luna...

It's been almost a year since her bladder cancer diagnosis and up until the last couple of months things have been going surprisingly well. She has maintained her appetite for the most part, with a slight decrease recently.

However, I need some advice now... She has very little control over her bladder and as a result can no longer make it through the night or day while I'm at work. I don't drive currently so coming home to let her out during the day is not an option.

Does anyone know if puppy pee-pads will work with adult dogs? I am going to pick some up tonight and hopefully they will encourage her to pee in a specific area.

I tried crating her last night but was woken up by a frantic panting and pawing at the crate door to get outside for a pee.

I spoke with her vet when the peeing started and he thought it could have been a secondary infection, so we tried a course of anti-biotics but they didn't do anything. She seems to get a full bladder and by surprise, she'll have to pee wherever she is standing. When we're awake she can usually tell us and get outside in time, but even then, she only makes it a few steps from the door and she's peeing.

I'm hesitant to make any plans yet because she's still enjoying the rest of her life... We don't make a big deal if she has an accident, because I know she can't help it. But, I really need to find a new solution because I also don't want to have to replace our flooring and carpets if we can't catch her in time.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I have never been in the situation but when and if it comes to it, this is what I would do.

Without knowing how big Luna is, I would buy some diapers and ask someone to make an "underwear" to hold the diaper on Luna whenever you can not let Luna out to pee.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Yaba Daba

Hi,
Depending upon how ambulatory Luna is you may want to try out the diaper route. I think they are called Daba Doo's, we tried them out when our dog was ill. However from your description it sounds like Luna seems to want to do "her thing" in the "right place" (pawing at the door)so if she pees on the pads (which can eventually be placed in more than one room if necessary) and receives praise/treat perhaps it could work. Its really a tough call because the strength level may vary from day to day and every dog has a different disposition so it doesn't hurt to try out different things. Best of luck!
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Thankfully Luna is still; aside from some stiffness, a normal dog. She would probably just destroy anything we tried to put on her, so we'll have to give the pads a whirl! I didn't manage to get to the store this weekend, but she also didn't have any accidents either - and for the passed two nights has made it until morning before she had to pee, YAY!

Maybe I will get my wish and she will be able to make it to until our first child arrives (2 months). My boyfriend thinks she is hanging on just to meet her, so we'll hope that she maintains her strength and the bit of health she's got left until then.