Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?
Against 68 89.47%
For 4 5.26%
Not sure 3 3.95%
Don't know 1 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Declawing: against or for?

'm totally aganist declawing because it is abusive and causing unnecessary pain and suffering with no benefit to the cat. It is a serious surgery and with a painful recovery afterwards; it is removal of the claws, the last bone of the cats claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cats "toes". Also, part of the digital pad is removed and incomplete removal of the nailbed. Removing the claws makes a cat feel defenseless. Declawing changes their behavior real fast and their personality changes all together. Some cats become nervous or aggressive, often resorting to their only means of defense, is their teeth. They become biter; using their teeth as a only defense against prey and they become depressed. I have tabby that is declawed on all four paws, he was like that when we adopted him. I recommend don't get your cat declawed. They become really different cats after the surgery. There are other alternatives things you can do like soft paws. They are caps you put on the cats claws but would have to replace every 6weeks. By him/her a scratching post and showed how to use it, put some catnip on the post. Just don't get them declawed. I am curious as to what other cat lovers think about declawing
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Performance Spaniels

Thank you for posting and tryign to educate, but you are trying to educate a board that is already very vocally against declawing? Anyone who has been around long enough to get educated is pretty much against it.. and we are fully aware what declawing is.. If you'd read past posts on the subject you would know the tone of the board.

Last edited by mafiaprincess; June 24th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Here's an old one about it.. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=scalpel
The welcome email you get from here says that most people here are against declawing. No debate here.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

It's a well-discussed subject, but with so many newbies everyday, its good to bring it up ever so often. Totally against. It's so easy to just trim the sharp points and provide scratching posts.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM

It's quite easy to say trim their nails and you do, but when they cause destruction to your house you might want to consider declawing. Sometimes I do wish that I had the 2 older cats declawed. They are destroying my walls past the point of drywall, and destroying all door frames. We do not have money to fix the damage they do. No I will not declaw them now tho.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Hmm... My old yellow lab chewed on door frames, gyproc, etc, and I would never have thought of getting her detoothed. We just got her something to chew on instead.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:42 AM

I'm against declawing. My kitties use cardboard scratching pads and never scratch people.
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Senior Contributor

What bothers me the most is unethical vets and there are many,promoting a "package-deal",spay/neuter/declaw as if it was no big deal to unsuspecting new cat-owners
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Completely against. I think under no circumstance should a cat be declawed. There are so many alternatives, and if you're proactive with your behaviour modification, then you should be able to curb the inappropriate scratching. I recently had a huge issue with my brother and his GF (mostly just his GF) over the possibility of them declawing their cats. I won-yay! And my brother has informed me that he is now trimming their nails regularly without any problems. Educate those around you, I think most people don't realize that it is in fact an amputation, and alot of vets don't volunteer that kind of info when asking if you'd like to have your cat declawed.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM

As with any open discussion forum, quite often topics will re-appear from time to time, and we welcome that. Otherwise, we'd wind up with a finite number of posts, and eventually we would have nothing further to talk about. And, as mentioned by Glasslass, it's always beneficial for the newbies to re-visit topics.

If you feel that a topic is redundant or not necessary, please feel free to move on to another thread which you may feel worthwhile.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

IMO,If we can stop only one new cat-owner from mutilating her cat,repeating this subject over and over is worthwhile.
I would scream it off the roof-tops if I could
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Hi
I'm against declawing - I had two rescue cats that came declawed. My two current rescue kitties are not declawed and I don't intend on declawing them. I have a wooded board in my house that I have tucked away in a corner. I rubbed wet catnip on it and my two cats now use the board to scratch on rather than the furniture. We do have the odd go at the furniture but mainly they use the board.
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Agility Addict

I am against declawing as well BUT if it came down to putting a cat to sleep or declawing, I would rather declaw.

All of the cats I know have been declawed, including Minnow and none of them have any issues. IMO, people who get cats and don't spend time with them or let them get obese because they do not exercise them are just as bad.

Bottom line is most people do not understand or put in the effort to keep their cat healthy and active. I made the worst mistake of my life by allowing Minnow to be declawed but I do not believe for a minute that she would rather have kept her claws and lived ANYwhere else.
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford
As with any open discussion forum, quite often topics will re-appear from time to time, and we welcome that. Otherwise, we'd wind up with a finite number of posts, and eventually we would have nothing further to talk about. And, as mentioned by Glasslass, it's always beneficial for the newbies to re-visit topics.
And we've never had a poll about declawing, so it's not the same ol' thread.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
What bothers me the most is unethical vets and there are many,promoting a "package-deal",spay/neuter/declaw as if it was no big deal to unsuspecting new cat-owners
I am an RVT in an animal hospital (have been for four years). I'm neither here nor there with declaws. Yes all my cats are declawed (all are rescues).
In regards to the above post though...it's not unethical to offer a spay and neuter together. IF an owner choses to declaw their cat, it's "easier" on the cat to have them done together. Less anesthetic to the cat = less cost to owner as well. Also, if an owner is considering it, I'd rather have them get the procedure done when they are ~5-6 months old rather than when they are 5-6 YEARS old and owners are ticked off because the cat has ruined couch/chair/curtains/etc. It is MUCH riskier on an older cat (anesthetic wise) and much more painful as well (no matter how much pain killers we give them). We educated pet owners about trimming nails, scratching post, soft paws...give lots of life learn hands out as well.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT092481
it's not unethical to offer a spay and neuter together.
hee hee... I wonder if it's ever necessary to both spay and neuter... (kidding)

I thought like that too when I was working for a vet- it is much less painful on a kitten, but that doesn't mean it's right either... Just less painful.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,but there is nothing in this world that would ever make me declaw a cat.
I have 3,all with claws and all my other cats before that had claws.
If you get a cat,just like with a puppy,you can expect some damage to your house,furniture etc..
There are ways to train your cats,but nothing is fool-proof.
If you do not have the time or inclination to work with your animals,don't get any!
Declawing is a cruel practise,plain and simple
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Poo to declawing for me! Don't have cats but I still love them.
And really who can say what is painful and what is not. Maybe less painful because they aren't physically showing signs of distress but that is an animals nature to hide their ailments.

I get what your saying RV but at the same time declawing in general at least in most of ours opinions is inhumane and uneccesary. Next time tell people who want their cats declawed to get a plant. I get that is better to do it all at once that i do not deny its just is it neccesary to do at all? I really can't think of any argument that doesn't result in people complaining about material things as their reason. If your cats pain is less important then that pillow then there is something wrong there. IMO
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Hmm... My old yellow lab chewed on door frames, gyproc, etc, and I would never have thought of getting her detoothed.
LOL... thanks for the laugh, Prin!

I have 1 cat who came to me declawed (front only) and I have another who has all her claws. In fact, the vet I use is now STRONGLY against declawing, and takes the time to talk everyone out of it.

I simply provide scratch posts, and I clip their nails on a regular basis.
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Kitty Consort

It's certainly true that if declawing is to performed, its far better to do this while the cat is young.

I am shocked however at the number of cat-owners who state they were not properly informed about all the ramifications of declawing.. and were under the false impression that it was a routine, simple and common procedure.
That - it isnt.

To me, offering it along with spaying promotes the notion that declawing is an option for "preventative measures" -for a problem that may not have even occurred, or one that has not had time to be addressed in other ways.
An inevitable outcome that might as well be taken care of now. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm sure that most vets today do cover all the detals, and the seriousness of this measure to their clients, so that they may make a careful and informed decsion. I just dont believe it should should be suggested at all in conjunction with spay and neuter.

Many cats have no adverse affects to declawing, and there are no regrets following this decision. There's also no denying that many for cat owners - there are many.
Cant put the claws back:sad:

Declawing is illegal in many countries, I sincerely hope one day it will be here too.
While any surgery carries risks..declawing is the only feline surgery I'm aware of that does not benefit the cat in any way.
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Barbaric. Would you like your fingernails and toe nails removed?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Pet Guardian

Unrelated response... I am against declawing but trying to figure out what the difference is between "I don't know" and "unsure" in the options? I noticed that no one has picked it; does that mean they're so confused about the whole situation they can't figure out which fence-sitter option to pick?

Melissa
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM

It's not a bad thing to offer it during the initial spay/neuter, however, if I hadn't come to this forum and seen so many posts about how the cat won't pee in it's litter or whatever else now that it's been declawed I never would have known how painful a procedure it could be, or even that it could be done incorrectly leaving the cat marred for life. My vet sure didn't mention that when they offered me the package.
Luckily for my big orange brutes they didn't get declawed, personally I think cats have claws for a reason and should keep them. How else would they shred my window blinds to bits and rip holes through the screens on my windows?
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I am not particularly fond of cats myself but I think the practice is barbaric.

We had a cat when we lived on an acreage, and even though her favorite games to play with me was jump out of the hamper onto mom's leg and "lets see if mom will scream when I claw her hand while she is sleeping", I never once even considered removing her claws. Like another poster said, cats have claws for a reason.
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I have never been a fan of the whole declawing thing! IMO ANY amputation, no matter what reasons for it is cruel.
But to each their own i suppose! Its sad our animals have to suffer because it is soooo easy to just say on the phone " ya hack my cat!, I like my furniture"
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

You have to adjust your house to your animals,be they cats/dogs,I've always had cats and yes,some sofas were kind of destroyed..but were replaced by leather,cats do generally not scratch leather.
I also bought a corner-unit in Ultra-Suede also no scratching,great stuff,easy to clean.
We do not have any drapes,I never liked drapes to begin with,I have beautiful expensive windows,why cover them up??
Instead I have Roman Blinds in almost every window,no fun to the cats
Also regular klipping of the nails and cat-trees etc...plus training,will keep your cat off the furniture.
You adjust your house to the cats,not the cats to your furniture
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I am against declawing (even though i clicked the wrong stupid button)

I worked at a vet in highschool and saw it done too many times to count. It was disgusting. The other day I saw a woman with an american eskimo puppy. They are wanting to have it declawed because he would catch his nails on her sweater. I couldnt help myself and said...hes a dog, clip his nails. They said "my vet does it for dogs, its not painful" I said..let me pull your finger nails out, and you tell me if its painful. They just looked at me like i was nuts and walked away. What jerks.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am surprised this is even a poll on this site to be honest - when so many of us utterly loathe and despise declawing which is illegal in almost every other civilized country except the US and Canada! We need legislation outlawing this barbaric pratice!!!
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I am against declawing as well BUT if it came down to putting a cat to sleep or declawing, I would rather declaw.
I'm not sure I understand this comment. I'm not saying that to tick anyone off. I'm just confused. If someone can't handle a cat doing cat things, then maybe they shouldn't have a cat in the first place.
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Kitty Consort

I can truthfully say that I would rather rehome my cats than ever subject them to declawing.
If I was unable to find a workable solution, and me or others in the home were unwilling to accept this cat behaviour, it would be kinder, imo.. to find kitty a new home, where they can be accepted whole.

As for a death sentence being a solution for the "crime" of it's anatomy and natural instincts, cant imagine that scenario any more than putting a dog to death for digging or barking.

The day cant come soon enough when this abomination is no longer an option period.
And if you took a "kitty poll" on that.. I'm guessing it would be all paws up.