Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Lucy's daddy

nail clipping dangerous?

I was about to clip Lucy's nails this week but some woman at my mom's workplace adviced me not to. She said it's a very risky thing to do unless done by a professional.

She said there's huge danger of unstoppable bleeding!

is this true? I thought as long as Lucy co-operates(highly unlikely!), it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes and is pretty safe to do?
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Performance Spaniels

Many of us clip our dogs nails. If you are getting any bleeding you have cut into the quick, and most dogs will make you well aware of it, because it hurts.

In a year and a half I have only ever nicked the quick once, and she was squiming, so what I lined up in the nail cutter wasn't what I ended up cutting.

With black nails it's harder to see where you should be cutting and takes more care and practice, but white nails the quick is fairly easy to see.

They sell stop bleed in most pet stores in the aisle with brushes and clippers in case you do have an accident to immediately stop the bleeding. Corn startch works in a pinch though.
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:58 AM

lol The bleeding is UNSTOPPABLE!! Bwahahaha!hahaha!! heh heh..

Seriously, if you push the nail.. wait let me go get a pic...

K, I just cut Boo's nails on the weekend. So you see (below) how when I push the nails forward (not forcing, just moving it to where it would be if he was standing), the nail is cut flush with the pad? That is all you need to do. When the nail passes the pad, it can push on the base of the nail and cause pain or even crack off. If you cut it like in the pic, you most likely won't get the quick. Past that, maybe.

It also depends on the length of the dog's nails too. If they were allowed to grow for a long time, the quick probably has grown further out too, so they'd have to be cut down gradually.

If you do cut the quick, it will probably get harder to cut the dog's nails again. The more often you cut the quick, the harder it will get.

I was always taught back in the day to use matches... You light the match, blow it out and wait till it cools. When it's room temp, you touch it on the quick. It stops the bleeding quickly but really burns though. Some vets have match sticks that are sort of pre-made. I haven't tried corn starch, but I'm sure it's less painful.

So ya, this is Boo's nail. I cut his about once every two weeks.
Attached Images

Old March 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

There's also a product carried in just about every pet store and Walmart/Target type outlet called Styptic powder or Styptic pads which will do the same thing as Prin's match remedy. In either case, clipping is not dangerous as long as you go slow and only clip a little each time - depending on the color of your dogs nails (clear nails you can see the quick more easily), length, etc.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM
-

The best way to clip the nails if you are just starting is to shave it off bit by bit. This way your dog will let you know before you make the cut that will cut the quick. Depending on how badly you cut the quick, the bleeding may not stop on its own. You should have septic powder on hand to stop it if it happens. You will take a pinch of the powder and pack it into the end of the nail. the bleeding should stop within a minute. You can also get nitrate sticks to do the same thing.
You should use septic powder instead of corn starch even though it should also stop the bleeding because you want to protect it from infection. If you have just nicked the quick it will slowly produce a little bit of blood. If you have cut further into the blood vessel it will bleed much more and faster.
I teach all of my students to clip their dogs nails. If you are not familiar with the process I would have someone who is experienced show you first.
If you ever cut the quick, stay calm, stop the bleeding and then continue clipping the rest of the nails. If you freak out, so will they and they may the next time as well. You want to continue because you don't want their last memory to be of pain. If you cut the quick and don't continue it will be much harder to cut them next time.
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
You should have septic powder on hand to stop it if it happens.
very good info, but just to avoid confusion, it's STYPTIC powder, not "septic". Anything intended for your septic should be kept far far away from your doggie.

Kwik-Stop is one of many brand names. A small jar is normally under $10 and lasts a VERY VERY VERY long time.
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I've been cutting my dogs' nails now for years. Done correctly, you will not draw blood nor will it hurt. Although, most dogs hate having their feet touched. It is always a good idea to have something on hand like previously suggested, just in case.

Also, if you soak your pets feet prior to cutting their nails, the water will make the nails less brittle and more pliable making them easier to trim. Trimming their nails after a bath is better than before for this reason.

Once while cutting our late Blacky's nails, he moved suddenly just as I was trimming and I cut pretty high up into the quik. He did bleed, but we managed to stop it with some styptic powder. Without it, it would have been much harder to stop. It is definitely a good idea to have it on hand in your dog grooming kit along with the trimmers.
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I am the only one who does my dogs or cats nails....I found that any time I let someone else do it the cut the quick. I find it simple, and easy, and do it once evry 2 weeks
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is anothere way to do nails, it is called dremeling , maybe not the best for dogs with long hair around their feet, unless you clip away the hair first.

The article has step by step instructions, explanations and photographs
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Lucy's daddy

I did it guys! I DID IT! I'm so proud of myself! She sat in my arms like an angel! I lover her to death! man she went through so much this time! She was really dirty so I had to thoroughly wash her and she would've fainted had it not been for those delicious pieces of sausage!

As someone suggested I made her stand in warm water before clipping the nails and it was easier than I thought! No bleeding or trouble!

Love you all!

Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Yey!! Congrats!