Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old February 5th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Green Barbs

In my tank, I have two green barbs. For the past couple of days, it looks like they have been kissing and then they spin around very quickly. I wasn't sure what they were doing, I was worried they were going to mate, I asked someone for advice.They told me the barbs were probably two males and they were fighting and I should move around some decorations in the tank to try to keep them seperated. Then he said, well maybe they are going to mate, so wait and see if you see any eggs in your tank.

What do you think they are doing?
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Barbs go head to head when determining dominance. They also chase each other around and do the spin dance, I find it entertaining to watch mine do it.
It is usually the largest barbs who do this, the largest barb's usually the most dominant, as barbs get bigger they like to challenge each other. It may be useful to add another barb to make the numbers odd and then they can trade off and not go at it all the time.
In tiger barbs the nose becomes very red when they are ready to mate, I'm not sure how to tell with green tiger barbs though.
As the green tiger barb is a color-morph of the regular tiger barbs, they should be in schools of at least 5. This ngives the barbs more security, and a chance for a longer rest in between bouts.
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I have 2 green barbs, 2 tiger barbs and 2 orange barbs. The other barbs are chasing each other around, but they are not kissing/fighting with each other. Do you think I should add another green barb?

Last edited by poodletalk; February 5th, 2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi there,
the behaviour you are describing is common Tiger Barb
behaviour. They can be aggressive little fish towards
each other - hence how they got the name "Tigers".
It is perfectly normal.
Your school looks fine, as all colors of T-Barb are the
same species, so no need to add more.
If these are in your 30g with the blood parrots and
common pleco, you have no room for more anyway as
you are heavily overstocked already.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I thought you only had the 2 barbs in total, I agree with Sneaky that the 6 barbs are enough on their own. They will school together, fight together and 'kiss' together. The dominance dance rarely leads to injured fish. Mine will go off to separate corners after a really good bout to catch their 'breath' like boxers in a ring, but they have not hurt each other ever. Enjoy it as the fish are acting normally and must be at home in the tank and with the other residents. If the barbs begin to pick on other fish in the tank, then you may need to look into increasing the school. But if you're already stocked to the max then do not add any fish now.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, these fish are in my 30 gallon tank. They all have plenty of room to swim for now. I am looking for a home for my bigger fish, I don't want to bring them to a petshop. Who knows what will happen to them, maybe they would be sold and put into a smaller tank.

I have asked my vet if she knows anyone who has a 90 gallon tank and willing to take two large fish. She's going to ask around and get back to me. I have also asked several my friends who are going to ask their friends.