Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:24 AM

Dog has bad knee, how to control the pain till surgery

Hello,
I have just joined this forum after locating it by accident when I was searching for answers for a health issue my Lab/Border Collie (Sage) is having. I located one on this site that a member was having the same problem. Sage started having problems getting up. At first I thought she was getting arthritic. She was already being given Glucosamine w/Chondrotin and on a good brand (Natural Recipe Grain Free) of kibble along with home made food (chicken/turkey, carrots, sweet potatoe, pumpkin, green beans, kale, celery). She was still running and playing and we were still hiking and being very active. However, on coming home and after resting she would struggle to get up. I took her to the vet and he checked her rotation of her hips, strechted her legs out and said she was fine. Probably arthitis setting in. Well, yesterday after our morning walk, which was short as she was lagging behind and just looked like she was not haveing much fun at all, she come limping into my office (I work from home) with the right leg lifted up, tapping her toe on the floor and poking me with her hose (Pretty obvious communication I'd say on her part). I made an appt at the vet and had her there within the hour for x-rays. They did have to sedate her. Took two x-rays, her hips are in great shape, but the right knee is NOT :-(.

Diagnosis: Surgery is innevidable. Luckily I have VPI pet insurance. Rest and stay off the leg as much as possible. Change her over to Hills Perscription Science Diet J/D and keep anti-inflammatory and pain pills available.

I found the following product online VETIONX - Arhtro-Ionx for dogs. www.vetionx.com. Has anyone heard of or used this product? Also, DGP - Dog Gone Pain from the health food store. I have a supply of Rimadyl but prefer to only use this on an as need basis.

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you - Kristina and Sage
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear Sage is having these issues. Did the vet prescribe the pills for her knee pain? If so I would use it for her. If not, I would ask him for some. At what point do you plan on doing the surgery for Sage? Sorry, I don't see in here how old she is. How long did the vet say to wait before having the surgery? I don't know any of the other products you've listed, but I'd stick with the vet meds myeslf.
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodwright View Post
Hello,
I have just joined this forum after locating it by accident when I was searching for answers for a health issue my Lab/Border Collie (Sage) is having. I located one on this site that a member was having the same problem. Sage started having problems getting up. At first I thought she was getting arthritic. She was already being given Glucosamine w/Chondrotin and on a good brand (Natural Recipe Grain Free) of kibble along with home made food (chicken/turkey, carrots, sweet potatoe, pumpkin, green beans, kale, celery). She was still running and playing and we were still hiking and being very active. However, on coming home and after resting she would struggle to get up. I took her to the vet and he checked her rotation of her hips, strechted her legs out and said she was fine. Probably arthitis setting in. Well, yesterday after our morning walk, which was short as she was lagging behind and just looked like she was not haveing much fun at all, she come limping into my office (I work from home) with the right leg lifted up, tapping her toe on the floor and poking me with her hose (Pretty obvious communication I'd say on her part). I made an appt at the vet and had her there within the hour for x-rays. They did have to sedate her. Took two x-rays, her hips are in great shape, but the right knee is NOT :-(.

Diagnosis: Surgery is innevidable. Luckily I have VPI pet insurance. Rest and stay off the leg as much as possible. Change her over to Hills Perscription Science Diet J/D and keep anti-inflammatory and pain pills available.

I found the following product online VETIONX - Arhtro-Ionx for dogs. www.vetionx.com. Has anyone heard of or used this product? Also, DGP - Dog Gone Pain from the health food store. I have a supply of Rimadyl but prefer to only use this on an as need basis.

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you - Kristina and Sage
Why did you have to change her food to Hills dog food when it is her knee that hurting? I think the food is a waste of money , my dog never did my better on it. I found knee brace for dogs on line just now, I would ask your vet if that would be OK to use.

My dog has tricks knees and had to have his knees popped back into place. Does your dog sleep in bed with you,if so can put a ramp up for her?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM

Response for dog due for surgery

This is most likely a torn cruciate ligament, which creates an unstable joint. If you have the finances, surgery is absolutely the best option to re-create the stability. Use the Rimadyl. It is a very good pain killer and is an anti-inflammatory, to help in the knee joint. Hill's J/D and Royal Canin Mobility Support are loaded with excellent supplements, but they are not an alternative to surgery, they help with joint healing, and limit joint damage. Another excellent option is Cartrophen or Adequan. These are injections that you can do at home. Google Cartrophen. It has very impressive results. Keep activity restricted to leash walks only, because right now the other leg is at risk of doing the same thing. No twists and turns! Good luck.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM

in addition

One more thing. If this is a ruptured cruciate ligament, this is not a 'trick knee' that can be popped back into place. That condition is called luxating patellas and is an entirely different condition. Get the surgery done if you can, as soon as you can, and follow the re-hab instructions.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:28 AM

Smile Dog has bead knee, how to control the pain till surgery

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Sage does have a cruciate ligament tear. I had two x-rays done the other day. One of her hips (just to make sure nothing is going on there) and the other of her right knee. My vet said "She will eventually need surgery on the knee". I do have Rimadyl for her as well as DogGonePain (DGP) a herbal anti-inflamitory supplement. Also Trimodol for pain, as needed. I do carry VPI pet insurance for her - thank goodness.

I was hoping that with a brace, leash walks only, increased (see is on 2000mg of GLucosamine and 400mg of Chondrotine now) supplementation of Glucosamine and Chondrotine I could avoid the surgery. However, what I am hearing here and from a seminar/training CPR/Emergency class I attended yesterday put on my ACCES (Animal Critical Care and Emergency Services) that is really not the best choice. The ligament may heal incorrectly and it will be weak and prone to more injury.

I will google the Carthophen and research that as well. Thank you. The vet in the class yesterday also said fish oil. I suppose for lubrication of the joints.

Sage is a certified search dog for missing animals with Missing Pet Partnership (www.missingpetpartnerhip.org) located here in Federal Way WA. Anything she needs will happen . For now our hiking and search days are coming to a screaching halt till she has her surgery in October (early October). We are heading for Arizona on Wednesday and will return Monday the 1st of October. She is being boarded at the vet so she will be under good care. On our return I will set up the surgery date ASAP.

I have not changed her food as of yet. My vet's recommendation was to change to Hills Science Veterinary Perscription J/D due to the supplements in the food for joints. The veterinarian in the class yesterday really liked my home food (mainly the kale and celery for arthritis) He said to increase the pumpkin and brown rice. However, I have also read that when making home food it does not always have all the nutiritional supplements the dogs need so it is necessary to include a good quality kibble.

Thank you so much to you all. I will keep you posted.

Kristina and Sage
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Compare the actual food ingredients in Hill's and I suspect you won't want to change foods. You can always add the supplements yourelf. Hyaluronic acid is very good for the knees.

Cartrophen is not available in the US, only Canada, UK, AU, etc. It's similar to adequan, but supposed to be better. Wonder if an adequan injection would help. Of course, omega-3 fatty acids, cetyl myristoleate, DLPA, may all help with the pain.

Can't see the ingredients of that product on my phone, but homeopathics like arnica, traumeel and zeel are often useful in joint arthritis conditions, this one may or may not help.
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Angry

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. Found out this morning that VPI Pet Insurance has to be in place for 1 full year before they will cover Crucial Ligament surgery. I have their top policy too. Very disheartning. Checking with my vet if he will take payments :-(
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

That sucks about the insurance. I have never bought it for exactly that type of reasoning. I really hope your vet will take a payment plan and get Sage's knee fixed up soon. I agree that it needs to be done. My senior dog was doing the Cartophen shots and I thought they helped her alot (although I think I waited too late to start them). Have a safe trip and good luck.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM

I got a second opinion on Sage. My other vet, he looked at the x-rays. He said he is not sure what the little floaty thing in her knee x-ray is. May be a small piece of cartiliage or a very small ligament tear. He said let's watch her for 2 months and he will revaluate her again. For now, short leash walks daily, get her to loose about 8lbs (working on the food thing. found Firstmate, grain free, pacific ocean fish formula senior/weight control 18% protein and 8%fat) Along with the Glucosomine/Condrotin/MSM supplement and a natural anti-inflammitory. Looking into swimming too. We can still do training for searches but no actually searches as those can take up to 4 hours (she normally finds the hidden crated kitty in 20 minutes) and we have started her nosework class (which she loves!!!!)

We will take another x-ray in December. Thank you everyone :-)