Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM

cauda equina syndrome

Hello, I’m brand new hear and looking for info/advice for my dog. I have an 11.5 year old Boxer named Julie. She has been having a lot of issues lately. Our vet has just diagnosed her with cauda equina syndrome & I'm little confused & don’t know if any of you may have some experience with this.

The vet's diagnosis is coming from her weakness in the back legs & her loss of control over her bladder and occasionally bowels especially when sleeping. The only outcomes I have seen with this revolve around the dog having surgery but with her age & the fact that she is not doing that great surgery would not be a good option. What happens if this condition goes untreated is my biggest question.

Any advice/info any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

A breeder friend of mine had this problem with an ageing Australian Cattle Dog. I tried to phone her to get you some information but she must be out, I'll try again later. I might be wrong but I reckon her dog didn't have surgery.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM

Thank you so much! Any info she may have would be so helpful. I have no idea what to expect going forward & its scary & frustrating.

Thanks again!!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:28 AM
Senior Contributor

CES diagnosis can be tricky. It is supposed to be a very painful condition. Sometimes it can be confused with other back issues.

I would support with joint supplements, acupuncture, and chiropractic (www.avcadoctors.com), herbal anti-inflammatories, and prescription anti-inflammatories a the next tier (with liver support). After evaluationg reponse to that, I would consider the following: http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/39...l_Stenosis.pdf

It's really tough to see this happen, I'm so sorry
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure MaxaLisa has covered everything there. My friend kept her old ACD going for 18 months with careful use of Metacam.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I wasn't ure if metacam would help, that's good to know. I hate these degenerative conditions.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Wikipedia says ...
According to a UK Kennel Club health survey, cancer accounts for 38.5% of Boxer deaths, followed by old age (21.5%), cardiac (6.9%) and gastrointestinal (6.9%) related issues. Average age of death was 9 years and 8 months.

So, dreams529, I think you have done a splendid job of getting Julie to 11.5 years old. Well done, honestly. I know how loveable the breed can be too, a friend here once
had a Boxer, Molly, who she misses dreadfully, more than any other animal she's had. I think you are getting bonus time with Julie so I hope med's will control her condition so you have her longer, she'll let you know when they aren't helping anymore. I agree, MaxaLisa, it's awful when they start deteriorating and you can't do a lot for them, very sad.