Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Introducing kittens to each other. Need HELP.

Hey everyone,

As some of you may already know, I have a kitten named Zeus, I've had him for about a week now.
And recently, just today actually, I got another kitten, Gambit, and I tried to introduce them to each other the "right" way.

What I mean by that is, I read that you should let the new kitten, Gambit, go into a room alone, and let him just sniff around and get comfortable, then take a towel and rub the other kitten, Zeus, and let Gambit sniff it and get used to his scent, and rub Gambit with a towel and let Zeus sniff it, which I did.

But when they finally met face to face, Zeus was very nice, and well mannered, but Gambit doesn't seem to like Zeus because he growled/ hissed and even took some swings at Zeus, and they've been in the same room (with my supervision) for the whole day now and every time Gambit sees Zeus he growls and hisses.

And Gambit is really nice to me, purrs all the time, but as soon as he makes contact with Zeus, or he sees Zeus staring at him out of curiosity, he goes into "grr" mode. Poor Zeus, all he wants is a friend, god bless his soul.

So I'm not sure what to do, keep in mind Gambit is bigger than Zeus, not that much bigger, but still.
I don't know if this has to do with dominance or what, they are both males..
If anyone knows if this type of behavior will keep going, or will they get used to each other?
Please let me know. Thanks!

The first two pictures are Gambit, and the last picture is Zeus.
Attached Images

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

When it is recommended that cats be introduced the "right way" it does not mean all in one day. This process of introductions can take weeks, even sometimes months, to get it right. Doing it in one day is like not separating them at all. The idea of separation is to let them get used to the smells, sounds, and habits of the other cat(s) in the household. Then you can start doing a s l o w introduction by rubbing/exchanging scents for a few days, then exchanging the rooms. Let the new cat out into the rest of the house. Put the resident cat in the room the newbie was in. It takes quite some time to achieve this.
The website I've posted is excellent for showing how to introduce cats properly. This lady walks the walk. Please take the time to read it carefully. Until you do it would be a good idea to separate the cats again. This time to do it the right way.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Tags
introducing kittens